Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine cutting out, fuel smell in cabin.

Hi,

Peugeot 307 2006 1.6i Petrol
Current mileage: 75,000 miles
Last MOT: April 2018 - Pass, no advisories. Emissions results posted below.
Last major service: 58k (Peugeot dealer)
Last minor service: 68k (Peugeot dealer)

I have noticed a petrol smell when performing heavier braking and from reading these forums I think it’s something to do with the EVAP system. It was quite strong yesterday when the fuel was low (hit the orange light) and weather was warm.

Random note: I’ve been trying to find the location of the fuel pump access hatch and noticed what looks like a weld in my boot floor? It’s the darker patch with the slight honeycomb texture. What is that? It’s the same under the spare tyre. It almost looks like the boot floor has been repaired??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Before you delve into taking the car apart just check the seal on the fuel filler cap. It sounds like fuel vapour is escaping from the tank, worse when the tank is low and the weather is hot is typical. Always worth checking the simple things first, if it is a more involved problem you will have only wasted a couple of minutes.

Roger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before you delve into taking the car apart just check the seal on the fuel filler cap. It sounds like fuel vapour is escaping from the tank, worse when the tank is low and the weather is hot is typical. Always worth checking the simple things first, if it is a more involved problem you will have only wasted a couple of minutes.

Roger.
Hi, thanks for replying! I've since filled up but the filler cap was on properly when I checked just now. I didn't notice any fuel smell when using the car today on my normal commute.

I have also found and checked the seal around the fuel pump but it doesn’t look like the seal has gone, no signs of fuel / damp (see attached). I'm convinced something in the EVAP system is intermittently faulty as I had the depollution system faulty message appear back in May when turning on the car, it was idling rough and the message appeared. Turning the car off and back in quick succession cleared the message and it's been driving ok since, including a long 5hr drive to and from Wales. The same message appeared last year twice, both times no obvious change in the engine performance and the quick turn of / on cleared it that time too. The engine has always started with the first turn of the key and I've never had engine issues apart from that one off in May. The only thing I have noticed is the car has sounded louder and 'rougher' sounding recently when engine braking. I’ve tried using an ELM327 reader but it can’t find any stored fault codes.

I don't think it's any fuel lines as I would have expected the MOT in May would pick this up. Looking at the exhaust emissions test from this MOT my car just passed the Lambda test (attached). My gut is telling me the purge valve or carbon canister.

I'm tempted to pick up a Lexia-3 and Diagbox/pp2000 kit off eBay but the cheaper ones (£50-£70) mention no compatibility with 307. I guess it wouldn't even be able to find any issues as this would have triggered a EML light?

Will

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought one of the cheap lexia kit off eBay and it does the 307 fine.
I caved and bought one a couple of days ago, it’s been despatched form Hong Kong.

When I started the car yesterday it did start first time but there was a noticeable judder for a few seconds, no EML or anything. It settled quickly and was fine for the drive and the way home.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Next you have to learn how to use it:) I am still a novice with mine, not figured out how to do live data but just use it to turn of the EML due to a Anti Pollution fault on the EGR. Car runs great so don't want to tamper with it too much. Plus the EGR is a bitch to get to on the 2.0l HDi 90 RHY engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update: engine now cutting out

So on my way home today my engine cut out on me. The engine was up to temperature and I was near the end of my 13 mile commute. At first I thought I stalled the car but the electrics were still going, no lights or warnings appeared. I restarted the car and carried on the journey home. I've tested the car whilst stationary at home and it stalls when revving the engine, I managed to get a video:

YouTube video

The slight increase in revs at 15 seconds was not me on the accelerator. The car had been idling for 5-7 minutes before. Again, I noticed a smell of fuel.

Any thoughts on what this could be and whether it's related to the other issues mentioned above (petrol smell, intermittent depollution system faulty)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: car won’t start

Hi!

The car wouldn’t start this morning! As soon as the engine starts it cuts out moments later as per the video.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the engine starts but promptly stops. The fuel filter can’t be changed apparently, it’s an integral bit of the fuel tank from what I’ve read.

A few other sites are mentioning the engine coolant sensor could be at fault but this was changed last year with part 1338.C1

Symptoms I’ve noticed previously which could be related:

1) Intermittent depollution system faulty
2) occasional smell of fuel in the cabin.
3) Juddery start once or twice which did trigger a depollution system faulty message.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
update: Recovery to Peugeot

So Greenflag came out this evening to diagnose and recover my vehicle. The technician turned the engine on and it cut out almost immediately on first attempt but when he restarted it and used the accelerator the car stayed on and idled. His fault code reader did not return any codes. He did say that the cooling fan came on straight away, which was unusual considering the engine and car were cold. I mentioned the coolant temperature sensor and coolant were changed in September 2018 due to failure of the old one. I bought the part on eBay (part number 1338.C1 according to advert).

As the car started and idled he suggested trying to drive it with him following to my garage of choice. It managed the 2-3 miles journey to Peugeot Chiswick without any issues, although it did feel a bit lethargic compared to normal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the filter accessible and serviceable from the fuel pump hatch under the passenger seat? I thought it wasn’t serviceable and you had to change the whole the fuel tank.

The car is with Peugeot Chiswick now, they’re apparently very busy and might not be able to look at it for a few days ?.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So Greenflag came out this evening to diagnose and recover my vehicle. The technician turned the engine on and it cut out almost immediately on first attempt but when he restarted it and used the accelerator the car stayed on and idled. His fault code reader did not return any codes. He did say that the cooling fan came on straight away, which was unusual considering the engine and car were cold. I mentioned the coolant temperature sensor and coolant were changed in September 2018 due to failure of the old one. I bought the part on eBay (part number 1338.C1 according to advert).

As the car started and idled he suggested trying to drive it with him following to my garage of choice. It managed the 2-3 miles journey to Peugeot Chiswick without any issues, although it did feel a bit lethargic compared to normal.
Could well be you have a dodgy temperature sensor causing your grief.
Buy from ebay at your own risk, there are a lot of fake and substandard parts for sale, not all of them obviously, but if something seems very cheap ask yourself if it's too good to be true.

Roger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just taken a call from Peugeot Chiswick, their diagnostics has shown bad spark plugs and a software update. I find it strange that the spark plugs have only lasted 16k miles over 15 months. They were changed at the last major service at 58k on the 23/5/17.

I’ve asked for more information about the software update, nothing was mentioned to me when the car was with them in March for a minor service!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Back in the 1970's my then girlfriends father bought a new 504, it had to go back to the dealer for new plugs along with many others.
Seems Peugeot aren't very good at at putting good plugs in their cars........

Roger.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Be aware of the Stealers as it sounds like they are after your hard earned. Just ask them to sort the defect you asked them to do. Yes the filter is part of the pump and comes out when you take the bolts out of the plate as a unit. It is a simple DIY job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts