Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question, to those with 307 SW 2.0 HDI:

How light is the steering wheel and the clutch pedal ?

I know it's a heavy car, and a big engine, but shouldn't it be a little lighter ? It's easily the heaviest I've found...

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I've had two 307 hatchbacks and the steering was pretty light. Easy enough to steer one handed with the heel of your palm but not so light as to make it oversteer. The second one I owned had a heavier clutch than the first which was just a little heavier after replacing the clutch. I'm guessing the diaphragm spring on the pressure plate was a whole lot stronger than the old worn clutch.

Some cars have variable power steering which gives more assistance when moving slow and less assistance as the speed increases.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the steering, i was talking full stopped. I saw someone turn their wheel with the palm of their hand on a video, and although i can also do that, it's not light at all (i could do that also on my 1992 toyota with no power steering so...)

Regarding the clutch, maybe it's worn out... problem is i don't know anyone with one of this cars, i've only touched a 1.6 normal (not sw) one. It was light has hell...

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Fully stopped with the engine running they were heavier than when moving but not excessively so, nigh on impossible to turn with the engine stopped. As far as cars with no power steering, I remember them being extremely heavy when stationary but light enough to turn with the palm of one hand when moving.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly storeman. No power steering cars would force you to eat a entire bull to turn those bycile wheels when stopped, but felt like butter while rolling.

Power steering inverted this tendency, but my 307 stills feels way more heavier than cars from it's generations. Heck, a 2003 Fiat Punto was light as hell (still is today)...

As for the clutch, 290 000km and it's the first one, so this might have to do with it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Peugeot cars can have slightly heavier power steering than some other makes but its actually designed to give the driver positive feedback.

Some cars of a similer generation have extremely light steering with almost no feedback at all making for a very poor driving experience.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understand, i'm not criticizing Peugeot or my car! I love my car :)

I'm just trying to understand if this behaviour is normal, or if there is a untriggered fault coming up or worsening. With 180000 miles it's not unthinkable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts