Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this afternoon the engine suddenly started sounding very "rattly". Then I noticed a whine when gearing up (the whine ran on briefly on depressing the clutch) and an odd vibration through the clutch pedal when the clutch is fully depressed. When stationary there is a definite "rattle" sound that gets worse when the clutch is depressed.

I had to drive home on the freeway and the engine performed normally and the car felt normal. The noises are only apparent at low speeds (maybe just can't hear them at 110kph)

I have been noticing over the last few days that the car shudders when first moving off in 1st gear, or reversing. But after that all is OK. No "slippage" of the clutch when driving or when the car is under load.

My thoughts are possible clutch failure, or close to it.

Any other ideas out there??

It's a 2003 model 307. 2L petrol manual with 235k on the clock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like the typical DMF failure to me....
Just wine could be thrust bearing but judder is a 100% sure the dmf...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dodgy Man Following? :D

Sorry Dual Mass Flywheel....
Search the forum and you will find endless treads of this....
Had pretty much the same symptoms as you and mine was chanhed to a solid one on 225 Km

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks. I've seen it mentioned, but only in relation to HDi engines. Mine is petrol.

Is there a DMF on the petrol engines as well??
No there isn´t and im so sorry for my fast and stressed reply didn´t
even got the time to read that it was a petrolcar....

In that case maybe time to check the lower engine mount

·
Registered
437 Posts
When stationary and idling and you put the clutch in, do you get rattling/grumbling? If so, it could be the clutch release bearing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have the car back from the dealer today after 2 days in the shop.
In the end it was the clutch bearing.
Since the car was close to 240,000km I got them to do the timing belt (they are supposed to be replaced every 80,000km) and the water pump (in the area anyway). Also got them to do what they thought was necessary at this mileage. I've also had a dodgy & leaking power steering rack for a while so I got that replaced as well. (reco unit)

In all the replacements were;
Clutch Kit
Clutch Guide Bush
Timing belt
Water Pump
Roller guide
Power Steering Rack
Coolant
Gearbox oil
Engine oil filter
Engine oil
Power steering fluid

Total cost was just over $3,000.00 which I don't think is crazy considering the parts & labour involved. it was also much cheaper than I was quoted at other places.

The drive home was interesting. Clutch feels totally different and the steering also. Time to get readjusted to the car.

Looked at the new 308 and have to admit I think it looks just like any other hatch. Has a hint of BMW when looked at from the front quarter and also very generic. I feel the interior is also a bit spartan (I like buttons & lights, of which my 307 has lots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts