Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im convinced i have a bad smell or some thing here! posted twice on pug central and being totally ignored! :confused:

ive had my 406 110 HDI.. 2yrs now ans never had a spanner on it! but a month ago the alternator failed! i took it to the local "grease monkey" who popped me a new one on!
when i collected it all was well except between 1800-2000 revs the cars lurching back n forth, not coughing, it feels like im pumping the throttle! this is more noticeable in 1st and second and is a complete bag to drive around town as you can imagine!! now this problem is getting worse, really noticeable in all gears! soon as i accelerate or pop along at 60 or 70 its fine! ive changed all the filters and has a new tank pump! starts fine, still getting good mpg... this problem has transformed my brisk pleasure to drive car,,, in to a right royal pain in the arse that id rather walk past and jump on the bus!!
funds are quite tight here but i have had in two garages who just stand scratching there heads!
help in this matter would prevent me from swapping it for a LARDER!....:eek:
thanks in advance
:~)
ps.
no dash lights are present!!

G

·
You need to get her on Planet, see what faults are logged - they won't all cause the EML to illuminate on the 406. That aside, stuff like the EGR can cause bad running problems on these.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:confused:

hiya buddy thanx for that :thumb: ill try and sort a cheap planet diagnostic next week! in the mean time can i assume its ok to to yank the EGR pipe to disable? will this cause any adverse effects..
cheers
sam..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bettyswollocks said:
Sometimes peugeots act badly to a poor battery , but if its ok then you can rule that out.
:thumb: ok bud thanks anyways! i got the battery checked when i had the alternator done.. think ill go with the EGR idea first thats if bypassing it is a safe bet?
sam.......

G

·
Disconnect the vaccum pipe and plug the end. However, if the EGR is badly crapped up it may be seized and allowing boost to leak straight out the exhaust.

You can just unplug the electrical connecter but that'll bring up the EML and requires Planet to clear it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chopper1192 said:
Disconnect the vaccum pipe and plug the end. However, if the EGR is badly crapped up it may be seized and allowing boost to leak straight out the exhaust.

You can just unplug the electrical connector but that'll bring up the EML and requires Planet to clear it.
hiya bud,
can i assume that the EGR is located at the top left hand side of the engine?? soz mate im a bit of a dumbo!! it looks nothing like the only one ive done "rover 75" ... ive pulled the pipe and squeezed a bolt in it..... but :confused: cars driving just the same... looks as though it has been working though!! the the central plunger thing is all shiny! so must have been actuating!
im guessing now its a planet diagnostic!!!! unless you have any other ideas?
still find it strange it was running perfect till i took it in for the new alternator, surly to much of a coincident:nono:

G

·
I once changed the wipers on a customers audi and on the way home a wheel fell off (someone had tried to pinch it and all but one bolt was gone) and he blamed us!

Could be a genuine conincidence, but equally it might be realted to it.

EGR is indeed rear/left of the motor. I removed mine entirely and blanked off the ports with 1/8" stainless plate.

If you're confident the EGR is working, then a go on Planet might be your only obvious avenue of investigation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chopper1192 said:
I once changed the wipers on a customers audi and on the way home a wheel fell off (someone had tried to pinch it and all but one bolt was gone) and he blamed us!

Could be a genuine conincidence, but equally it might be realted to it.

EGR is indeed rear/left of the motor. I removed mine entirely and blanked off the ports with 1/8" stainless plate.

If you're confident the EGR is working, then a go on Planet might be your only obvious avenue of investigation.
am i confident!!!! now is that a understatement! LOL.. ill leave the pipe off for now, and see what this planet thing brings up!! failing that im a loss for what to do... its supposed to be taking us on holiday in 3wks eeeeeeeeeeek!!! though i do have RAC.. just hope if its going to conk, it conks on the way home... or the kids will be lynching me up:eek: .. either way! ill post the out come! might help some one else... thanx anyways.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts