Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M reg 306 1.4 petrol. Seems to be in excess of 1amp draw when ignition is off.
I need to buy an ampmeter that will test more then 1 amp before I start to pull fuses.
Not sure if this is why battery is naff.

Additional info, car starts and seems to run ok but just after start up headlights seem to flash on and off. not sure how long this goes on for. Wife said a smell of burning when fan or heater on

is there a common place for the wiring harness to chaff?

thank you
ithemechanic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most meters go upto 10a remove anything aftermarket first radio bluetooth etc also if battery has gone flat a few times battery is prob goosed now
I think you are spot on it is. At the moment the car is sitting with new battery disconnected. going to pick up a cheap amp meter Thursday I hope, will then
pull a few fuses and test for current draw.

thank you for the tip

ithemechanic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my new test meter and tried it out. when first connected between positive lead and positive terminal on battery it reads best part of 9 amps, drops quickly to .2 then drops to .01 to .02 where it stays fluctuating between the two readings.

why is there such a high reading when first connected? Is .02 of an amp draw to high?

thank you

ithemechanic

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looking at the car infront of you, on the lower right hand side (passenger side of car) of the front bumper, there is a thick bundle of cables with a plug right at the bottom. The seals often go in these, causing corrosion and then random faults with radiators, lights etc.

Other thing I can think of is door loom, the part where it joins the bodywork from the door but I would start with the above first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you I'll look at the cables at front corner and bumper.
having had the car sitting for a couple of days I don't think there is an unreasonable current draw. I think I'm working on 2what ive been told" instead of starting from scratch. Halfords have confirmed old battery which is nearly 2 years old is duff and have replaced it no quibble.

Not knowing enough about this car I'm still unsure if there is an electrical fault with perhaps the security system.

I'll put the battery back and check for chaffing and if I have a problem will strat a new post but thank you for the advice

ithemechanic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re headlights flashing, this may now be resolved but will test further.
Searching the internet someone had the same problem and the advice given was
unlock car
turn ignition on so dashboard lights come on, do not start car, do not enter alarm code
disconnect negative terminal/lead from battery.
no time period specified
reconnect negative terminal/lead
enter alarm code and start car.

did this all was ok. turned engine off, locked car left it a few seconds, unlocked car, key in ignition turned so dash lights came on, entered alarm code, started car and no head light flashing.

ithemechanic

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Re headlights flashing, this may now be resolved but will test further.
Searching the internet someone had the same problem and the advice given was
unlock car
turn ignition on so dashboard lights come on, do not start car, do not enter alarm code
disconnect negative terminal/lead from battery.
no time period specified
reconnect negative terminal/lead
enter alarm code and start car.

did this all was ok. turned engine off, locked car left it a few seconds, unlocked car, key in ignition turned so dash lights came on, entered alarm code, started car and no head light flashing.

ithemechanic
That is the worst possible thing to do! You are lucky you did not corrupt the BSI/ECU. When disconnecting the battery, you MUST put the BSI/ECU to sleep using the 3 minute rule i.e. switch OFF everything and leave to settle for 3 mins, not switch them on and disconnect the battery!

See here for what you SHOULD have done.. http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/tech-section-153/procedure-battery-disconnection-3-minute-rule-293106/#post1966226

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you. Not sure if it makes a difference but "my" car is from the early 90's.
Always difficult taking advice from the net.

ithemechanic

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All solved now.I was looking for a Red Herring.
It was a duff battery mis diagnosed twice but the second time they did more testing and proved it faulty. Duff battery is something people had said to me just by me describing the problem and then proving myself. A search on the internet then gave me the solution for head lights flashing on and off. Simple, I think ignition on, disconnect one side of the battery, cant recall wich one, give it 30 seconds and reconnect. All solved.

Cars running well, my sister now has it. I will do the belts as soon as possible so alls good

thank you everyone for the help

ithemechanic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts