Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a woman and interested to know whether the idle control valve is also known as the stepper motor?

I'm noticing some rough idle issues with my 406 (2.0 16v petty)

I'm noticing sometimes just after I turn the engine she's idling at around 1100rpm and at other times she struggles with maintaining constant idle at approx 700rpm.

What is the normal idle range for my 2.0 petrol? Something tells me it's around 8-900rpm, 700rpm seems too low and 1100rpm seems too low.

I've tried moving the throttle retaining clip to create more tension and increase the revs but I deem this pointless because her normal idle is just so varied.

PP2000 has told me she is misfiring on one or more cylinders (cylinder number 4) but this seems a very intermittent fault (guess it would answer the 700rpm). I've replaced the spark plugs. Would PP tell me if a new coil pack was needed?

She's going for an MOT soon so I may get the garage to run a compression test on my cylinders whilst she's there, otherwise I'm guessing HT leads and or coil pack replacement?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Generally speaking, no. A stepper motor may be used to adjust the ICV, but a stepper motor is a generic term. (There is one in automatic washing machines that rotates the setting dial as it works.) It is used to make small adjustments to anything that needs it. As a standard electric motor can be used for wipers, heaters, starter etc, so a stepper can be used to do any small adjustments. It can be used for rotary, or can have an arm attached for linear adjustments.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes , ICV is referred to as stepper motor because it is a stepper motor actually.
faulty ICV can cause fluctuation in idle motor speed, and loss of power most of the times.
regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts