Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after a little advice. I have searched for the answers to this but some clarification would be awesome. I'm not that knowledgable on cars so please bear with me.

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 gti 1.6 thp. The car seems to have lost a bit of guts lately and I have now got depollution system faulty warning with a check engine light. The car seems to be running fine but just lacking that 'power' it did have. I have had it hooked up to diagnostics at my garage and it has come up with fault code p0299. I believe this is low turbo pressure boost. The turbo/pipes etc has been checked for leaks and all seems fine.

I have been told that it is going to need a new turbo with a quote that seems unbelievable. Is it going to be a case of the turbo is done or can I save it? From my understanding it could be a wastegate/actuator issue? Am I correct? Another thing that has been mentioned is a possible build up of carbon within the turbo and I presume this would kill the turbo off. I know you guys can't give me the reason for why it has issues with the little info I am giving but I am just trying to find possible issues before deciding on the massive decision of a new turbo. Any other ideas or things to rule out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I do know that, depending on the particular problem, turbos can be refurbished for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

It may be worth Googling and ringing a few.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do know that, depending on the particular problem, turbos can be refurbished for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

It may be worth Googling and ringing a few.
Yeah I know and will look into that if its a case that the turbo is done. I'm just wondering what components might fail that could cause this issue with a possible cheaper solution. Thanks.

Did they check for a split diaphragm on the divertor valve
I'm not sure to be honest so will check with the garage. I understand that this is a common fault which could cause my low pressure so will look into it. Any other ideas if this is fine? Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That fault code will either be the bov or the boost pressure electro valve which is under the inlet manifold.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That fault code will either be the bov or the boost pressure electro valve which is under the inlet manifold.

I was under the impression it was a generic code for low boost pressure and therefore I would have to investigate the cause(s). How do you know it will one of them two? I don't disbelieve you, I'm just trying to understand it all a bit more as I'm really not that knowledgable. Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
access to Peugeot service box, 8 years owning a gti, knowledge gained over those years and knowing several Peugeot master techs.

the bov and the pressure electrovalve are 99% of the time the issues, bov is easy to check, 3 bolts too take it off and pull part off, if any white markings on the black plastic rings then its going and needs replaced, the pressure electrovalve is a bugger to get too as under the inlet manifold, but theres generally scratches on the metallic part of it once u strip it down to investigate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I wasn't saying you didn't know, was just
curious if that error code was so precise to the problem. My mechanic seemed to think the turbo would be done. I have stripped downed what I believe is the bov, if I'm wrong I'm a right melon haha. I think this is the cause of the issue as it has a split diagram- will try to post a picture. I believe I can replace the stock one with a forge aftermarket recirculation valve? Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link? Thanks for your help, I'm really a novice with car mechanics so I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Mechanics ALWAYS see low boost as broken turbo

they also see no fuel pressure as broken fuel pump

They see no comms to ecu as knackered ecu

They are nearly always wrong.

Turbos rarely cause the low boost be it petrol or diesel it is nearly always something that controls or reads the boost that is the true cause or a simple burst pipe etc.

Most garages/mechanics do not have the time or cannot be bothered investigating properly !

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
always laugh when people come on and say "my mechanic", normally 9 times out of 10 they are completely and utterly wrong!

this is common cause of the issue here, see the white ring on the black plastic?

but looks like yours has totally split!

yeh forge one is a very good replacement, just needs a wee service kit every so often which is like 15 quid to keep it going!

I would take the bov to ur mechanic tomorrow and say of a broken turbo eh!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I am starting to see that with some mechanics. Problem is I don't know that much with this stuff so I normally have to go by what I've been told. Yeah mine looks completely done and have been reading this is a common issue with these turbos, crazy really!!

Think I'll order the forge recirculation valve then. I have been looking at fitting instructions as I want to give this a go myself. Has anyone fitted one of these? It doesn't seem to be a straight swap with the new one but some fitting with some silicone tubing etc. Can anyone elaborate on this?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Fairly easy to fit taking time and following instructions. Isn't a straight swap as such but is a very good upgrade product.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright cool. If you don't mind just one more question. I may well be acting stupid but on the forge website there is a recirculation valve and a blow off valve listed. I thought that these were the same? I'm guessing that I want the recirculation valve and make the assumption what they have listed as a blow off valve is an atmospheric dump valve? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Basically the same things but the uprated bov makes more noise ☺☺

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Sounds great if your into that sort of thing but it tends to make your turbo work harder as when a normal recirculating dump valve like my subaru has opens it dumps boost back into the intake to help keep the turbo spooling smoothly.

An atmospheric dump valve dumps it ALL out so the turbo has to work harder to refill the intake ok its not a big difference but the problem then gets worse because you will spend time MAKING it dump to get the noise this will definately put more strain on your turbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not really for me and the Mrs hates that haha. It made me go for the recirculation valve.

I fitted it today and I'm pretty sure I have done it all correctly as per instructions but have a couple of questions.

It still comes up with depollution system faulty. Will I have to go to a garage to get them to clear the codes or does that mean that I still have a problem?

I also noticed that my turbo was glowing red hot after I took it out. I did give it a fair thrashing and it is dark so easy to see the glow but I have never noticed that before. Should I be worried? Car was running well and went like a rocket though.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts