Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been looking at a hdi 307 on ebay. the guy says the garage thinks the turbo has gone and its belching out white smoke. also the pollution light is on.

is it too much hassle to clean out the intercooler and exhaust of oil or shall i steer clear

D

·
0 Posts
Make sure its the turbo thats the problem as they rarely give trouble. How did the garage come to the conclusion the turbo had failed.

D

·
0 Posts
If its it, and you're fixing it yourself, go for it. What money is on it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't have thought you would get white smoke from a blown turbo. blown turbo should just give you a rich mixture; therefore lots of black smoke. This is what i got when the turbo pipe split on my hdi. Even if oil is going through the engine as a result of a blown turbo, this shouldnt' create white smoke. White smoke would tend to indicate steam, so probably a blown head gasket or similar. This is certainly the case for petrol engines and i can't think why it would be different for diesels.

Personally i'd steer clear. If it is a blown turbo, you have to ask why this has happened. Turbo cars are very common these days and properly maintained turbos should last as long as the rest of the engine they are attached to. A knackered turbo could suggest a badly maintained car, in which case you'd probably be buying a money pit. If it's not the turbo, you are either going to have to know how to determine the problem and be able to fix it, or be happy to pay someone to do this for you. Who knows what this would cost!

If you do want to perciveer (sp?), have a good look at it first. Run the engine up. The turbo should give out a very noticeable whine when the engine is revved if it has gone. Like you've suggested, have a poke in the turbo piping to see if there is a lot of oil. Also check the coolant for low level and oily deposits as this would give a clue as to whether the head gasket has gone.

Oh and to answer your original question, if you do end up buying and there is loads of oil in the pipework, it's probably not worth cleaning out. Turbos and superchargers do let a small amount of oil through the inlet pipework, so there shouldn't be any harm in letting it just clean itself through.

I'm not a qualified mechanic, the above is just from my experience of fixing problems in the past and stuff i've read, so please treat it as such.

good luck :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just read this in another posting, which is knowledge to me, and does seem to support the duff turbo diagnosis:

but sadly white is also uncombusted diesel. Which could mean injectors or compression/valve timing.
Sorry didn't copy the username with the quote

C

·
0 Posts
How in the name of all that's holy canvyou have significant amounts of unburbed fuel in a compression ignition motor? The only way would be if you got major compression issues on one or more pot.

White smoke in my experience invariably means H2O - if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then we probably have on our hands a small aquatic bird of the genus anatidae.

There's no shortage of old metal on the market. Go buy one that works.

R

·
0 Posts
have to agree with chopper theres tons of 307s for sale and quite cheap at that.if you really want one get one without problems..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts