Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after owning a 306 2.0TD - great car; still own a 2003 406 2.0HDi Estate - an even better car; bought a 1999 406 2.1 TD Estate just because it was there; I bought a 2005 307 2.0 Petrol for my wife and what a poor piece of machinery!

Sloppy upholstery work, crappy paint job, tinny feeling and sounding doors and boot, dumb place for a power steering fluid reservoir, poor fuel economy for the size of the vehicle (yes, I know how to drive economically.) The thing rattles and clanks inside and out from impossible to determine places, the steering is kinda wishy-washy and the clutch has no feel to it. Get out of the 307 and into one of the 406s (the 2003 with 350,000kms on it) and it feels like going from a cheap car to a properly made one.

So, did I just get a bad 307? Was it made during the "junk" age of Peugeot? It is second hand but relatively well maintained so I don't think that has any bearing on it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a 407 which I like but the quality of the materials and build is embarrassing compared to either the 406 or 508 (both of which I've also owned).

The 508 is a much more worthy successor to the 406 than was the 407. Normal service appears to have been resumed.

The 407 is so odd that it would make more sense badged as a Citroen. However, that's one of the things that I like about it.

·
2,624 Posts
I've owned a couple of '307's' in the past and had no problems with them....but it is a 'budget' range small hatch....

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
307 is poorly made compared to older peugeots but sounds like you have bought the worst version 2 litre petrol engines are not that great fuel economy wise and a bit unreliable but all your other concerns are normal 307 :)

·
11,843 Posts
I've noticed the build and materials quality go down in each newer car I've got:

Peugeot 306
Peugeot 307 Mk1
Peugeot 307 Mk2
Peugeot 308

I've gone back to a solid old 206!

As for the 307, I've had a number of Mk1 models and found the LX, GLX and SE models (usually 2L diesel) to be the best.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I wouldn't call a 206 solid, the build quality wasn't brilliant but it was better then 307 / 407 era stuff.

The sound insulation inside the rear quarter panel behind the trim panel on the 3 door 206, easiest job to fit ever, whoever did it just slung it inside the cavity.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The 307 wasn't poorly made..... all cars, regardless of manufacturer was just a bit poor during 2000 - 2010 roughly. Car manufacturers went through the horrible "bubble" design phase, R&D computers were taking over from the traditional development model, in vehicle electronics were still being figured out (CAN networking), emission tech was being figured out and safety meant making every steel bit twice as thick.

All this led to cars which were overweight, unreliable and not very pretty.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
254k miles over 14 years with two new clutches, a replacement starter motor, alternator, battery, spare wheel winch (last week), one complete exhaust and a back box, all engine mountings, radiator, a/c condensor, heater fan resistor,and the coolant pipe from thermostat to water pump. Everything else has been wear and tear, tyres, brake pads & discs, cam belts (I replaced the original water pump at 207k miles although it showed no signs of wear), various bulbs, wiper blades etc.
If I could be sure another car would give such good service in its life as a cab I'd buy it in a heartbeat!.

Roger.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I would say EVERYTHING on your list was wear and tear that's just normal for any car people sometimes expect things to last forever they dont simple as that.

I done a gearbox today on a Renault master van it has 120k miles on it and is on its 3rd gearbox that's not wear and tear just rubbish gearboxes 🤣

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I separated items that failed from items that wore out measurably.
I forgot to mention both front road springs and a rear shock absorber. What a dog!.:D:D:D

Roger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For comparison, my 2003 406 Estate 2.0 HDi:

Bought with 90,000kms on it in 2009 now at 350,000kms.
Tyres (4 sets); front brakes and rotors (2 sets); various lamps; timing belt, acc belt and water pump (2x); front drop links (3x); air, oil, fuel and cabin filters as required. Three windscreens in two years (highway repairs, insurance bought all of them in full)

Only major repair was the brake booster (refurbished) which I did myself (see another post and YouTube vids.)

Towed caravans, overloaded trailers, fully laden with 7 pax and gear in the roof box, highway, city and snarly gravel and dirt back-roads.

The paint is still good, notwithstanding stone chips, and I'm not good at caring for the outside of cars.

If I could buy another car this good it would likely last me the rest of my driving life.

The 307? If it needs a major repair it will be parted out. It is so unsatisfying to drive.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My 2002 Hdi 307 is as good/bad as the 2004 Astra I have and would say that for cheap runabouts they are OK. Reasonably comfy and not too noisy and reasonably reliable once the gremlins were sorted after I bought them from auction! When they have to go money wise there will be no loss and they keep passing the MOT so win win. For long runs I use my Tiguan as it has cruise control and shifts after I had it remapped!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts