Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I finaly had a sniffer test done on the expansion tank while it was buddling mad and the fluid changed to yellow and the terrible words Head gasket mate.

Now I have read on my other post that it may be the EGR cooler and not the head gasket. I am now very concered as the car is booked on Monday for 3 days to have head gasket, cam belt, water pump clutch and SMF conversion done for £1300. I am very worried that it could be the EGR cooler and all the cost on the head work will be a waste and then the problem will still exist and then another couple of hundred quid to do the EGR

What do we think, could the cooler be gone and causing the constant high pressure?, whats the failure rate on these? Any quick tests?

NOTE.

There is no bubbling into the tank when the engine is cold, only when it has warmed up and at temp.

Cheers

·
Registered
673 Posts
If your spending that much dough and the head is gonna be stripped why not give the egr and all related items a thorough cleaning with wynns egr 3 i think its called (just another name for brake cleaner if you ask me) Surely if their doing all that work then cleaning or replacing the egr makes sense whilst your there..i might add that ive never heard of an egr cooler......:thumb:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree but don't have any more budget. The cooler on the EGR i speak of is pictured below. I can't afford to have that replaced as well.

egr.jpg

Cheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on Guy's the car is going in tomorrow and I don't want to waste £500 plus if its not the head.

What do we think, could the EGR water cooler be the source of the combustion gasess in the cooling system as there is no sign of oil and no emulsion in the oil filler or dip stick.

I've not heard of the cooler failing before so does anyone know how they are made and the chances of it failing?

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's a heat exchanger dealing with slightly corrosive gases in a difficult (thermal cycling, vibration) environment. They certainly *do* fail in other applications- VW for instance.
Link the pipes, bleed then retest the engine. If inconclusive, pressurise the cooler itself...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a heat exchanger dealing with slightly corrosive gases in a difficult (thermal cycling, vibration) environment. They certainly *do* fail in other applications- VW for instance.
Link the pipes, bleed then retest the engine. If inconclusive, pressurise the cooler itself...
Thanks for the info. As the EGR is not in use all the time, if I bypass the cooler by linking the pipes, will the heat kill the egr or should it ok?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Other emissions versions of the same lump have no cooled EGR, and indeed there's a pipe listed on servicebox which drop-in replaces the cooler. So no worries on running with it isolated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Other emissions versions of the same lump have no cooled EGR, and indeed there's a pipe listed on servicebox which drop-in replaces the cooler. So no worries on running with it isolated.
Nice one :). I'll talk to the garage tomorrow and ask them to to pressure test each cyclinder and if ok, get them to isolate the cooler and retest the system. Be a lot cheaper than changing the head gasket for no reason!

My latest update is here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts