Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I have bought a P407, 2007, 2.0HDI last month. Overall, I am very satisfied with the purchase, It is a great car.

Everything is in excellent condition, except now that I have driven the car for some time, I am starting to notice a litttle rattling sound(similar to computer fans when they start to get a little bit louder) from the air diffuser vent grill.:eek: The noise starts at aprox. 30-45Mph(50-70km/h), ussually in fourth gear. It looks like something could be vibrating at this speed inside the grill maybe and that's what could couse the rattling.

I can't say exactly where the noise is coming from but i bet it must somewhere in the back side of the air grill(near the light sensor).:confused:

It was not annoying at first, but now it starting to really get on my nerves.:mad: AC is working perfectly and I removed all possible suspect that could rattle(items in compartmenst etc..) I noticed that the noise disappears if I turn off the A/C after 30sek. Coincidence? Maybe it has something to do with the A/C parts?!

You can turn the music up and override tha noise, but that is not a permanent solution.

Did anybody had a simillar problem? Should I contact a Peugeot service, maybe open the grill or something?

I really want to solve this mystery cuz It's the only thing bothering me. Any help is apreciated.

Respect Peuegot fans...:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I might have the same problem!

I am afraid I can't answer your question.

However I am experiencing a similar problem and would like to find out whether it is the same problem. If it is, we could pool our resources.

In my case, the noise appears usually at around 1800 rpm in gears 2 & 3 and at lower revs in first. But then it goes away again with higher revs (it is not constant, it is intermittent). It is most noticeable when you are driving in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. It is also sometimes possible to make the rattle appear when gently reving in neutral. Maybe this is where your problem is different - does it go away when you reach a higher speed or does it stay?

The noise sounds like it comes from straight in front of the driver at the front edge of the dashboard near a vent. But it might be coming from the engine bay.

I took it to the garage today - they said they could only hear the noise from the vehicle cabin and not from outside under the bonnet, and (after taking various bits on and off the engine) they couldn't find the source.

So I am wondering whether it is something in the air conditioning system.

You mention that switching A/C off fixes the problem after 30 secs. Are you just switching the fan off using the dial or are you switching off the air conditioning in the vehicle setup using the control screen?

I could see whether the same happens for me.

I am not sure we are seeing the same thing, but if we are then we might find some solidarity and maybe a solution!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm not the only one having this noise problem after all:eek:

Yep, like u said, the rattling is intermittent. Last time I did not had the wright choice of word to desribe to sound, one college said:"it's like a little coffe grinder somewhere inside the air grill". I think that is the best description.:nod:

And yes, sometimes when you rev the motor u can hear it gently. I bet something is loose or inside the vent and could be vibrating at the wright revs or speed. And the rattle dissapears at aprox. 80km/h or more. So, I guess its just an area from 50-80kmh or in your case around 1800rpm.

I doubt the noise is coming from the engine, I would bet that it is very near the air vent grill(underneath the lid).
Last week, I turned the AC off with the dial and the sound stopped, but i did this just 2 or 3 times in one day. I still have to try it for several days together to see if there is really a difference(next week).

So this week(from monday), I am experimenting and I turned the AC off(control screen). Sadly, the sound continues to exist.

I wanted to open the air grid lid but I do not know how. I managed to pull out the radio and the display, but from there I could not get to open the air grill(to see if maybe the lid itself would vibrate or if there is something inside).

If I discover something, I will let you know:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably a different problem

I am now thinking my car's problem is not related to ventilation.

The noise happened when I started the car (clutch and accelerator untouched) when I tried it again this Sunday. My wife sat in the car while I looked around the engine and she told me when the noise was there (the noise is only noticed when you are inside the car, and most loudly if you are the driver).

In brief, a slight rev would get rid of the noise and would also stop the engine shaking so much. Or if I pushed or held the engine or anything attached to it, then the noise stopped.

So it seems my car's problem is related to the engine shaking at various frequencies. I assume something is rattling/banging due to the movement of the engine.

The search for the culprit goes on!

I hope you find a solution for your problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it, this is happening somewhere near the dashboard.

Also couldn't be a problem around the engine. I bet something is vibrating somewhere below the top air vent grill. I'm searching how to get it open...:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally managed to get the air vent open. I immediately went for a drive and sadly found out that the noise did not stop. I still sounds like its coming somewhere near the light sensor but can't pinpoint it.:confused:

Have to check the air condition components still..

I took some pictures of the dashboard air vent taken out.:p

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Potential progress with vibration noise issue

I just wanted to give an update on the rattle/vibration noise problem that I mentioned earlier - same car, same engine that Ozzy has & a similar problem.

I got to the point of wondering whether the noise was caused by the engine vibration causing something loose on the underside of the bonnet/hood to rattle. So I rolled up a rug and jammed it between the engine cover and bonnet/hood and then drove for a short distance.

This improved matters significantly. The noise is still there, but is much quieter and is more clearly eminating from somewhere around the engine (and not anything closer to the dashboard).

And when I removed the rug the noise was still quieter, and has stayed this way. As I said, the noise is still there and might get worse again at a later date. But it is less irritating now.

It seems that the rug may have pushed something under the engine cover or on the underside of the bonnet/hood back into place, so that it doesn't rattle in time with the source of the noise.

I don't think the original problem was the engine cover. Before the rug experiment, removing the engine cover made little or no difference.

I wonder whether this might be worth trying, Ozzy. I would also be interested in any other theories about why the rug made a difference with my car (especially if it might lead me to the source of the noise).

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to give an update on the rattle/vibration noise problem that I mentioned earlier - same car, same engine that Ozzy has & a similar problem.

I got to the point of wondering whether the noise was caused by the engine vibration causing something loose on the underside of the bonnet/hood to rattle. So I rolled up a rug and jammed it between the engine cover and bonnet/hood and then drove for a short distance.

This improved matters significantly. The noise is still there, but is much quieter and is more clearly eminating from somewhere around the engine (and not anything closer to the dashboard).

And when I removed the rug the noise was still quieter, and has stayed this way. As I said, the noise is still there and might get worse again at a later date. But it is less irritating now.

It seems that the rug may have pushed something under the engine cover or on the underside of the bonnet/hood back into place, so that it doesn't rattle in time with the source of the noise.

I don't think the original problem was the engine cover. Before the rug experiment, removing the engine cover made little or no difference.

I wonder whether this might be worth trying, Ozzy. I would also be interested in any other theories about why the rug made a difference with my car (especially if it might lead me to the source of the noise).

Thanks.
hello hensleydale,

nice to see you are still figuring to solve the problem. your rattle became more silent with the rug?Interesting... But i kind of doubt my problems is the same as yours. I could bet something is under the light sensor somewhere and not under the bonet, but not to make any conclusion, maybe I will try the same method as you.

With me, the noise is not present constantly, only some times, so I even can't show it to anibody because when I try to, the noise does not apper(just my luck...:mad:) As with you, I presume it's more constant, is it not?

I must say that I gave up hope to finding a solution. The best solution is to ignore it and turn up the radio.:rolleyes:

Now, I will try to remove the engine cover first, later I will put something underneath, for a posible solution. You never know. :nod:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car's noise is most noticeable in the lower gears when accelerating through 1800-2200 rpm, but it can happen at higher or lower revs. It is not constant though. And some days are worse than others.

Just to be clear, the rug trick involved putting a rolled up rug on top of the engine cover so that it was squished between the bonnet and the engine cover when the bonnet was closed again. I never put anything underneath the engine cover!

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts