Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peugeot are advertsing an iPod dock, which I'm thinking of buying.
I want to connect my iPod Touch through the head unit (RD4) in my 207, and have full control from the music stalk. At £140 (including fitting by dealer), this isn't cheap, so it would be nice to know if this really will work. Does anyone have any experience of Peugeot's iPod dock? Particularly iPod touch and the RD4?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should work OK, but it's as you say not cheap... You could also replace the head unit with another one, read my post about 407 head unit replacement. You can get bluetooth and a proper radio at the same time :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Replies so far.

nvp:
The advert appears in promotional literature from my local Peugeot dealer. It is available on line, but this forum won't let me post a hyperlink - I have to have made at least five posts to enable this facility. So in long-hand the link is:
ww3 dot peugeot dot co dot uk slash ppp slash PPPWEBUK slash Brochures_Peugeot slash accessory slash 207_Accessories dot pdf
and its on page 5 (item 7).

ash:
I think that would be wishful thinking:)

Jeffboy:
Read your article before posting mine, but I was concerned that following your lead would:
a) Invalidate Peugeot's warranty.
b) Invalidate my car insurance (non standard modification to vehicle).
c) Be even more expensive: I can't find the MP68 for less than £180 plus £10 for the CAN-interface.
d) The RD4 has an output of 15w per channel, so the speakers are probably also only capable of handling this much power (can't find a spec). Whereas the MP68 will produce upto 50w per channel - which risks blowing up the speakers?
Many thanks for your reply though.

Further thoughts:
There appear to be two manufacturers of the required interface box that would sit between the iPod and the RD4 headunit - Denison (Gateway 100) and Nexxia (2 Connects). I'm guessing that what Peugot are offering is one of these. (Retail cost + half hour labour for fitting works out at about £140.) So the next stage is to find out which of these Peugot are supplying and check the relevant spec for limitations of use. I'll post the results of my enquiries when available.

Update
My local dealer cannot determine original manufacturer of iPod interface unit - they'd have to order one and look at it. Obviously they are reluctant to do this without a guaranteed sale. So I've e-mailed Peugeot UK with the query. Will post reply here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi again

Answers to above:

a) I don't know if some dealers would make a fuss about that, but I can't imagine so. Never heard a word about it on my last peugeot where I also replaced the stereo.

b) Replacing the radio is not considered a modification to the vehicle. So no difference with insurance. Just counts as extra value, sone insurances have limits to the value of stereo etc to be covered. But it's usually way higher than this.

c) Actually any Blaupunkt unit will work, there are cheaper ones with USB also. My setup is more expensive yes, but not much, and it's cooler and has bluetooth as well (which works great). Check youtube for a showing of the ugly display interface the USB box has. It emulated CD changer, which only supports 8 characters. So you have a huge display with 8 small scrolling letters in the left side, and the rest of the screen blank :)

d) No idea about this, the speakers play fine, also quite loud. I don't think I would ever turn it up so loud as bringing the speakers in danger.

The USB box you're getting at peugeot is a Dension 300.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jeffboy

But
a) Did you ever have to claim under warranty for an electrical repair to your last car? The 207 GTi has so many electrical gadgets, that one of them is bound to go wrong at some time. Peugeot dealers may be different from Ford dealers, one of whom refused my claim on a defective windscreen wiper relay 'cos the car was 1000miles over its service interval. :(

b) This might be true in the old days, but the headunit interfaces to the CAN-bus which is also used for various safety features, and nowadays insurance companies will wriggle every which way to get out of a claim. :mad:

c) This limitation doesn't appear on the Peugot literature - see photo on the link I've provided for nvp (above) - sorry the link is long-hand; replace " dot " by "." and " slash " by "/". I'll certainly be checking on this, because if the 8 char limit still applies, it's enough to put me right off.

d) I wouldn't turn the volume up that high either, but maybe you don't have teenage grandchildren who feel compelled to fiddle with every button and knob on a new gadget as soon as they see it. :)

Suspecting that the unit might be a Dension, I've already sent a query to their tech support line asking about details of limitations. Incidentally, according the Dension's website (obvious name dot com), the Gateway 300 isn't compatable with 207/RD4 - only the 100 :confused:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update

Dension have confirmed that when used with an iPod Touch or iPhone, their Gateway units, in GW mode, do NOT display anything (except their Co logo) whilst a track is playing. Apparently the data generated by iPod Touch and iPhone whilst playing a track is different from that generated by other iPods :rolleyes:

Dension have also confirmed that they supply the Gatway 100 (model number GW15PC1) and CD Retention Unit (model number CDRPC1) to Peugeot UK for fitting by Peugeot Dealers.
So I guess that this is what is advertised as the iPod car dock in Peugeot literature (see reference above).

But Dension wouldn't comment on the number of characters limitation - they merely said that "There is a large number of variations in Peugeot head unit and display combinations with different display capabilities".
So I'm now awaiting a response from Peugeot UK on this one.

To Jeffboy:
With your set-up (replacing the headunit), what iPod models have you tried? If they include either the iPod Touch or the iPhone, does the MP68 display track information for the currently playing track?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi again

In my old car, 206, I replaced the radio instantly. After that, there was a problem with the electrical system in that every now and then, every meter would go to 0 while driving, and everything would flash and yell. I sent in the car for this problem a total of 5 times, they replaced the generator, the display, they updated software twice and the last time they didn't know what to do.

Then finally I got a small cable flipping the +12V constant and +12V ignition wires - that fixed everything. The only thing I was charged was the cable, which was 2$.

As for the IPOD connection, I found out that I had gotten an "ipod cable", not an "ipod interface", so what that does is send through the sound and nothing else. The dealer is sending the interface when he get's it. Compatibility is I believe all ipods, and the are a good number of features, display etc as well as remembering the position to resume later. Also, you can firmware upgrade the interface to support display/track shifting in 3 different ways.

Anyway, now that I have USB-mp3, I use that and not the IPOD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts