Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much trail and error I've finally managed to install an iPad mini into my dash. It slots into a 3D printed mount that slides into the double Din hole, apart from removing the central divide no other cutting of the dash is required. I've installed a powered USB socket in the space below the ash tray that a low profile Lightning cable plugs into. The socket gets its power from the wires feeding the existing cigarette lighter. This allows me to still connect the iPad to my laptop easily if I want to add more music, etc. There is a slot mounded into the rear of the 3D printed mount that cable runs on to keep things neat.

I've got a bluetooth stereo tucked behind the iPad in the dash that the iPad connects to. My next step would be to mod the original tape desk with a blue tooth adapter so I can use the steering wheel controls for volume and this would give me back a normal radio.

Here's the final mount design on tinkercad

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here we have the iPad mini sitting in the raw unpainted mount to check for fitment. It took me three versions to get a good fit. You can see the double powered usb socket I installed under the iPad with my phone charging lead plugged in to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave the mount quite a few coats of primer, with sanding in between to get it nice and smooth. Before painting it poundland matt black which actually turns out quite shiny!

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is it finished and installed, when I jump in the car I connect my phone to the charger and unlock the iPad, from the iPad I then connect to my phone as a hotspot. The hotspot is really slick and my phone turns the hotspot on and off as requested to by the iPad.

This lets me stream music via internet radio, amazon music, podcasts, etc.

I'd really like to buy an iPad mini with a mobile sim card slot as these came with GPS which would let me use google maps with it.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts