Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Before I start I apoligise for the length of this but I am hoping that if I can give as much information as I can it may help someone help me find the fault.
Update on my 307 110HDI I have this week end completed the bits needed for an MOT and this give me a chance to get in on the road for the first time. It ran ok to start with about 2 miles to the MOT station from mine. On the way back about 1 mile down the road it lost all power and gradually went down to about 10 miles an hour. loads of smoke out of the exhaust. just got to my drive to pull in and it stopped and would not start (well started for a second then stopped)
After about 10 mins it started again and i got it on the drive, it then ran but not very well at higher revs little smoke but no where as much as when under load. it then stopped again and I had to wait a while before it would run again this time not so bad little lumpy at tick over and high speed. So I put my new toy my Peugeot planet on to the car and it found the following with the engine ECU

air flow to low Permanent fault

Turbo pressure measured to low Intermittent fault

the following was also recorded:
pre injector advance 11 degrees
main injector advance 0 degrees
turbo pressure measured 1012 mbars
turbo pressure ref value 1153 mbars
turbo pressure electro valve OCR 88%
coolant temp 81 degrees
fuel temp 39 degrees
injected flow set point 13^3 / stroke

fuel pressure 298 [email protected] RPM
Difference between fuel pressure measured and fuel pressure recommendation -2 bar
measured air flow 506mg impulse
EGR valve electro valve OCR 5%
EGR throttle electro valve 5%

It also told me the particulate filter was clogged so I tried to do a forced regen and the Peugeot planet took control this was a bit scary as it took the car to 4000 RPM and seem to hold it there for a long time I have never felt so much heat from an exhaust however I had to turn the car off before it had finished as the temperature gauge went into the red and the stop light come on so not sure why at this stage if software kept the revs up for to long or I have a fan fault? I will test when it cools down If I have not damaged the engine.

As I said I am sorry for the information overload but sometimes it all helps. any help on this would be gratefully received
I should say that when going to the MOT station and coming back more so coming back there was a strange noise form the engine compartment not a really high pitch whistle but a medium to high loud tone that varied in frequency. and when I got home when the engine was reved up it made a noise like a very the big ends had gone but I think it was coming from the fuel system?

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Forced regens not really recommended but if it done it then I recon that means its capable of regens on its own.

The 2 airflow faults are caused by it not running right rather than THE cause.

If filter is clogged it will not run right it might be better to remove it and jet wash it out safer for the engine :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
OK Before I start I apoligise for the length of this but I am hoping that if I can give as much information as I can it may help someone help me find the fault.
Update on my 307 110HDI I have this week end completed the bits needed for an MOT and this give me a chance to get in on the road for the first time. It ran ok to start with about 2 miles to the MOT station from mine. On the way back about 1 mile down the road it lost all power and gradually went down to about 10 miles an hour. loads of smoke out of the exhaust. just got to my drive to pull in and it stopped and would not start (well started for a second then stopped)
After about 10 mins it started again and i got it on the drive, it then ran but not very well at higher revs little smoke but no where as much as when under load. it then stopped again and I had to wait a while before it would run again this time not so bad little lumpy at tick over and high speed. So I put my new toy my Peugeot planet on to the car and it found the following with the engine ECU

air flow to low Permanent fault

Turbo pressure measured to low Intermittent fault

the following was also recorded:
pre injector advance 11 degrees
main injector advance 0 degrees
turbo pressure measured 1012 mbars
turbo pressure ref value 1153 mbars
turbo pressure electro valve OCR 88%
coolant temp 81 degrees
fuel temp 39 degrees
injected flow set point 13^3 / stroke

fuel pressure 298 [email protected] RPM
Difference between fuel pressure measured and fuel pressure recommendation -2 bar
measured air flow 506mg impulse
EGR valve electro valve OCR 5%
EGR throttle electro valve 5%

It also told me the particulate filter was clogged so I tried to do a forced regen and the Peugeot planet took control this was a bit scary as it took the car to 4000 RPM and seem to hold it there for a long time I have never felt so much heat from an exhaust however I had to turn the car off before it had finished as the temperature gauge went into the red and the stop light come on so not sure why at this stage if software kept the revs up for to long or I have a fan fault? I will test when it cools down If I have not damaged the engine.

As I said I am sorry for the information overload but sometimes it all helps. any help on this would be gratefully received
I should say that when going to the MOT station and coming back more so coming back there was a strange noise form the engine compartment not a really high pitch whistle but a medium to high loud tone that varied in frequency. and when I got home when the engine was reved up it made a noise like a very the big ends had gone but I think it was coming from the fuel system?
first of all if there is smoke what colour was it, white blue black grey, second the dpf's job is to stop smoke so are you sure someone has not smashed it off and remapped it wrong causing turbo damage

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
No sure if it has been removed the Peugeot planet was used to gain the information given in the text?
Regards
peter

·
Registered
38 Posts
first of all if there is smoke what colour was it, white blue black grey, second the dpf's job is to stop smoke so are you sure someone has not smashed it off and remapped it wrong causing turbo damage
I was told you had to run a fan to cool the exhaust whilst doing a forced regen or you could melt something

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have missed that I followed the instructions on screen where it says you have to have at least a quarter a tank of diesel and make sure the car is not near anything flammable. but it didn't mention running the fan. I have to say I have never heard a car sound like this before at the back it really did sound like a jet engine I held my hand about 1.5m from the exhaust and it was so hot I could not keep it there. Going back to a previous response suggesting the DPF may have been removed Thinking about it further The Peugeot planet is telling me the DPF is blocked and this week end weather permitting I am going to try and get it off and pressure wash it or at least prove it is there but I think the way the car detects a blocked filter is to measure the differential pressure across the filter element so as the Peugeot planet software is measuring a difference in pressure it is a good sign that the DPF is still present? or is my logic to simple.

Regards
peter

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think it took the guy who checked my DPF about 4 minutes to actually Jack the car up undo the clamp and lower the exhaust enough to establish that I had no dpf

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess you can just look into the pipe to see if the filter is in there? I have seen a video on the net where a guy takes off the DPF pressure washes it and then dry it and put it back. I am hoping mine is still there and it is not a damaged turbo because that looks like it may be beyond my experience and tooling level to get at it. As I said my hopes are pined on a blocked DPF and the fact that the car is showing a fairly high differential pressure across the filter I hope indicates that it is still there because I can fix this one not sure about the turbo?

I would also like to thank every body for there comments and help and say that I will obviously keep this up to date with my findings as it may make good reference data for someone else with the same symptoms.

Regards
peter

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Up until about 5 years ago I would be out under cars doing any sort of stuff . I now cannot but as this is a Forum for Enthusiasts :) there is usually someone about local enough who would pop round and do the required work for a fraction of the dealer price

the last job I did on any car (Underneath) was a Turbo return oil hose and Water pump on an L series rover diesel I got a mobile Mechanic in to do the Cambelts and on the current Pug I found someone from this forum to check the DPF because of an Issue with the Additive Pump I feel pretty sure if you put a shout out if your Turbo needs doing someone will give you a price for doing it But thats just for future reference As your findings so far re the pressure difference in the DPF suggests that it is blocked

Has your Oil level been rising ? as that could suggest a lack of Regen and extra Derv could get in the Sump (Dodgy)

and your forced regen I think should have put the Fan on I believe :confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Thanks for the reply and the good advice I will keep that in mind. I am not sure if the oil level has been rising as I have only driven the car a small distance since I got it and to be honest I have checked the oil when I got it but not since. I am baffled with the fan issue as when the car cooled down I turned the fan on high and low with the Peugeot planet software and it works fine indicating to me that the fan control circuits must be functioning. I also obviously have temperature gauge functionality as I see it rise and it initiated the stop light so unless the fan ids not controlled from the same sensor as the temperature gauge there may be a link in the control circuit that has failed. or the fan was running and I did not notice it as I was a bit panicked when I see the light and turned the engine off until it cooled down. I will post the results of my DPF investigation hopefully some time over the week end but what also puzzles me is that some time the car seems to run alot better than others (I can only run it in the garden as It has run out of tax and insurance because I have had to get another run around for work until this is done) but if the filter was blocked surly it would be constant? when I say run better some times it is smooth at idle some time really lumpy

Thanks again
peter

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
before you keep running it I would suggest checking the oil as that running at 4000 for too long sounds a bit a bit like a symptom of something more serious than a regen going wrong More like a turbo runaway symptom did it turn off from the Key or did you have to stall it ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

I cleaned out the DPF filter with the pressure washer and there was a lot of stuff come out even after the regen I did. I took the car for a test drive for about 10 miles and all was fine except for this tone that comes and goes from the engine at what seems to be between two frequencies but no High frequency. I then decided to get some diesel After pulling off from the garage forecourt I put my foot on the brake and the brakes juddered (I do have a fault with the ABS sensor but trying to get the engine sorted first) like when the ABS is activated in the ice. Then the car lost power and the engine management light came on. I got the car home (about 2 miles) running at low power and when safely home I revved the engine it would not go above 3000 Revs and hunted around this level. I turned off the car and restarted it revs back to normal. I have just read the code using PP2000 and it says the following:
'Intermittent fault Fuel pressure regulator switching off the engine requested but regulator still active'
I am wondering if the fault was connected to the vacuum and when the ABS valves operated it dropped the required vacuum to some other equipment like the turbine solenoid?
When the car is running OK it seems to have a lot of pull.
PP2000 is now reporting that the DPF has been regenerated where it did say it was clogged so I guess that is sorted.
Any Ideas guidance for you experts would once again be welcome.

Thanks in advance
peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry missed your question Jagn
when I started the regen from the computer the computer started the revs at about 1000 rpm for a short time and then when to 4000 rpm I stopped it by turning off the Key. It stopped as normal no issues.
Regards
peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts