Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m currently suffering from a strange issue with my 307, when accelerating through gears 1-3 at around 1500 RPM – 2000 RPM the car will intermittently jerk as if there were a loose of power. The jerks have been getting worse over the past couple days and the car won’t accelerate smoothly. I’ve noticed the problem isn’t present when I drive the car as if I’d nicked it, only when I drive and accelerate ‘normally’ do I feel the acceleration choke. Also, there are no warning lights on the dash and the car gets used mostly for commuting to work (15 miles round trip).

I put the car into my local garage 1 week ago and they mentioned an injector plug was slightly loose which they reattached and secured, this hasn’t fixed the problem though :confused: Taking the car back at the end of this week for another look.

This is my first car so I don’t have much of an idea what could be going wrong, searching online has thrown up various causes but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar or knows of a potential fix?

Cheers,
Tino

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Check the yellow join connector about 6 inch from the end of the high pressure sensor on the common rail also check the wire because it's know to get diesel on it and diesel corrodes wires

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
the computer will tell you more but I would be looking at the EGR and DPF mine had a jerky feel when driving around town and I blanked the EGR off and it felt a lot better after the DPF was removed it was smoother to drive and better again this could be down to the mild remap as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd look at injectors, I'd also look at fuel filter and make sure there aren't any leaks.

Also try to get some live date from someone with Peugeot Planet or Diagbox, you may be able to find someone on here local to you.
At risk of sounding completely clueless could a dirty injector causing jerkiness potentially be fixed by some injector cleaner like Redex in a full tank?

Since I've had the car (3 months) I've been mostly filling up at supermarket stations, a friend recommended using branded stuff as the fuel is cleaner and won't clog the fuel filter? I'll probably try a tank of V-Power to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Possibly, but there are other things that it could be too, so it would need a thorough once over.

A similar thing happened to me when I was being a bit naughty and put a couple of litres of heating oil in the tank after I'd been caught short. The car didn't like it, and had a habit of choking a bit and getting jumpy when steady away in 3rd. So, based on my experiences, it sounds like a fuel issue.

Drop some redex in and take it out for a spin. I would certainly check/replace the filter as well. If that's old and past it's best, it can have a noticeable effect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the computer will tell you more but I would be looking at the EGR and DPF mine had a jerky feel when driving around town and I blanked the EGR off and it felt a lot better after the DPF was removed it was smoother to drive and better again this could be down to the mild remap as well
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere local with a Peugeot Planet to run diagnostics. Closest is in Fife around 2 hours away, though if the problem persists I'll be tempted to take it there!

Took the car for a long drive the other weekend and the car felt absolutely fine, gave it some beans where I could and the problem seemed to have disappeared for a day or two. The city driving seems to be killing it.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere local with a Peugeot Planet to run diagnostics. Closest is in Fife around 2 hours away, though if the problem persists I'll be tempted to take it there!

Took the car for a long drive the other weekend and the car felt absolutely fine, gave it some beans where I could and the problem seemed to have disappeared for a day or two. The city driving seems to be killing it.
you could always buy planet your self and then you could offer it as a service for others

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give an update of where I'm at with this issue. I used Redex and found there was less judder and the car ran better, this only lasted for a tank or two. I've tried using it again but this time it seems the Redex is making no difference, probably a placebo effect the first time round. :(

The judder is appearing more frequently and making the drive very uncomfortable. I took the car to a garage this weekend and they've just updated me saying they couldn't find any a cause for the judder but suggested the clutch and flywheel were on the way out. I know these two parts are pricey but have seen on other forums people mentioning the flywheel as a cause to engine judder. The car has 86k on the clock and is 10 years old so is it possible the DMF could be related to my original problem?

I did ask the garage to check all pipework, connections and fuel system for faults but nothing was found. They also checked for error codes with no luck.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You'd notice the DMF was failing when the engine starts and shuts down, and when the clutch bites, not so much at the rev range you mentioned. It's quite a violent shaking, rather than a judder, when the DMF fails

At the end of the injectors is a small copper washer seal - if they have deteriorated or become loose, then the injector may not function efficiently, causing a misfire.

Give each injector a clean - they can become gammy, especially if the seals are dud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'd notice the DMF was failing when the engine starts and shuts down, and when the clutch bites, not so much at the rev range you mentioned. It's quite a violent shaking, rather than a judder, when the DMF fails

At the end of the injectors is a small copper washer seal - if they have deteriorated or become loose, then the injector may not function efficiently, causing a misfire.

Give each injector a clean - they can become gammy, especially if the seals are dud.

Cheers jimmymarsbar, I decided to tick off a couple easy things before going down the injector route. Today I changed the fuel filter which was pretty mucky. Having successfully installed the new filter I turned the engine on and noticed air bubbles in the clear fuel tube to the right of the filter housing, left the engine on for a while but they are still appearing. I've always thought that air in a fuel system is a red flag. Anyone know if this is common for a 307 136?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to give the EGR blanking a try, just wondering how easy it is to access the EGR valve on the HDI XSi 136?

I wont let this juddering issue put me off my first car! :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a similar problem with my car, they say is sensors and after fixing the sensors it still jerks after some drive time, i guess when the engine heats up

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I been told to check the doser flaps on the front of the intake as they can become sticky I have a new intake doser here that I got cheap so I will report back this weekend, I replaced the solenoid valves for the turbo and both intake flaps as my turbo was not boosting as great as before after I replaced these the car was back to full power until the choking and holding back popped up,

·
Registered
203 Posts
This looks like EGR i had same issue on 407 :) just try disconecting EGR jack and drive it around it transformed the car (you have whole topic in 407 about blanking EGR)

For bubbles If there are no cracks, then the o rings are the issue, if you move the pipes and amount of bubbles do not change then its the ring on the filter, when you buy filter compare rubber ring thickness, take the thickest the better. (i didn't took a photo when I replaced it on mine there were like almost 1-2mm thickness difference)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts