Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
How toxic is your car exhaust? - BBC News

Now I wonder where the Peugeot diesels and petrols fit in the scale..
I started to read this and found myself drifting off somewhere looking for a cliff or a fast moving train as I was loosing the will to live. This dude who wrote this is so so boring!!!!!!!

However, when he does eventually get to the point of the article (some decades later) it's actually quite interesting.
I still think this emissions debate is part of an unknown agenda dreamed up by governments (and the elite) to keep the masses under their cosh. Smoke and mirrors all the way...

And while I'm in full flow, who at the BBC did the page layout for this article is obviously tripping on Black Mamba! What was the point? Good to see my TV license contribution is going to good use!

I'm having a bad day today by the looks of it!:mad:

Grumpy. :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
The journalist is kind of kicking in wide open doors.

But I have to say that the quoted professor is not the brightest man in UK.
Not according to Prof Frank Kelly, the man whose lecture helped change my dad's mind. Even electric vehicles produce particulates from wear on brake discs and tyres, and by throwing up dust on roads.
First, modern electric vehicles regenerate when the driver release the throttle. An electric car does not use the brakes when it regenerates power. In fact, many owners of electric cars have to replace brakes way more often than they used to because the brakes are not used enough and rust. Also, the dust that electric vehicles throw up from the road are (obviously) also thrown up by fossil fuelled cars. And the most dangerous particles in that dust is the exhaust particles from diesel and petrol cars ...

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
There is too much bullshit about diesel petrol lpg electric etc etc ALL cars cause some pollution and yes electric cars do generate less pollution but unless the power is also generated cleanly then your just shifting the pollution not curing it

Diesels are not any worse than petrols newer diesels use more fuel than older ones so in my opinion are no better use more fuel you MUST be making more pollution so how can they be better !!

I have an older diesel and will carry on regardless until it dies then i will buy electric as i believe the battery technology is going to make the real useable range become enough that its not a worry anymore by the time my diesel cars are dead i will increase my solar panels to balance the extra electricity use

·
Registered
420 Posts
electric cars do generate less pollution but unless the power is also generated cleanly then your just shifting the pollution not curing it
This is a common misunderstanding about EV's.

Question yourself: where do the oil company get power to
* pump oil
* transport oil to the shore
* produce petrol and diesel from the oil
* store the fuel before shipping it to fuel stations
* transport fuel to the petrol stations
* have fuel stations open 24/7 to sell you hot dogs while you fill up your car

You compare burning fossil fuel when you drive with producing the energy to fuel an EV. You forget the massive energy loss before you fill your car.

A report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance claims that even in coal powered China, an EV will have 15% less consumption during its lifetime compared to a similar petrol car.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Im all for electric power i believe it is the future not hybrids or hydrogen fuel cells but i do not believe the zero emissions rubbish its false electric cars are NOT zero pollution they do make pollution just not in the same way as fossil fuel but it is the future in my opinion

Biggest issue for electric cars as far as pollution goes is when the batteries start breaking down and need replaced as they are not as recyclable as some would have you believe.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Here's an interesting thing, I was talking to a dude that is based in the Netherlands who is a top man over there who works for GE. He was telling me they are looking at having "battery exchange" sites like we have petrol stations now.
The idea being, when you need a re-charge you drive in and a fork lift type machine lifts out your depleted battery and replaces it with a fully charged on. You then pay for the stored electric less any electric remaining in your old battery.

I think this is a good idea. Only problem is that all the vehicle manufacturers would have to get together and design cars round the same battery size and shape.

Grumpy

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's an interesting thing, I was talking to a dude that is based in the Netherlands who is a top man over there who works for GE. He was telling me they are looking at having "battery exchange" sites like we have petrol stations now.
The idea being, when you need a re-charge you drive in and a fork lift type machine lifts out your depleted battery and replaces it with a fully charged on. You then pay for the stored electric less any electric remaining in your old battery.

I think this is a good idea. Only problem is that all the vehicle manufacturers would have to get together and design cars round the same battery size and shape.

Grumpy
And tech/model.. plus if you got a 5 y/o battery in your brand new 24h old car.. also I see electric companies preferring to sell to home markets because they don't have the bargaining power of large global companies that would operate a battery replacement forecourt.

That idea assumes, like petrol/diesel, that the power commodity is identical. Sounds like the oil companies attempting to get a look into the idea with their existing assets of forecourts..
The tech point that it's still seen by car manufacturers as the way to differentiate both in terms of innovation and partnership/alliances by the choice of charging connector/tech.. in 3 years time the goal posts will have moved but I think it will be 5-10 years before the tech is mainstream.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tesla had a "change battery-station" a few years ago. It is possible to switch on their Model S in a few minutes. But I think they closed the service because nobody needed it.

Another solution is the new batteries that are coming. Rumours have it that the new Leaf with extended range (e.g. not the one that will hit the stores in january, but late 2018/early 2019) will have a new battery technology that will charge the car in a few minutes (instead of the 30-40 minutes it takes today). The battery have some sort of solid internal parts instead of liquid that we use today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The charging infrastructure needs to be in place otherwise chaos rules. Read this article and weep...

Electric car drivers face queues and quarrels

There is also an article in the latest Auto Express that 13% of EV charging points are broken at any one time.

Notice that the charging point of the VW car illustrated is on the front grill. That low speed frontal collision is going to get mighty expensive.

The EV Holy Grail is slightly tarnished in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts