Peugeot Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yesterday, i was in my shop with friendly guy who was willing to "play" with settings of my headunit.

As i have standard audio, he found amplifier setting as Artemis or something like this. In this case, all audio output (amplified) goes via pins:
43/54 for front left pair of speakers
44/55 for front right pair of speakers
42/53 for rear left "woofer"
45/56 for rear right "woofer"

As i mentioned earlier, i found out, even with standard radio, that there are additional wires guided from head unit to 20 pin RED connector near BSI. Those pairs are used (according wiring diagram for Focal) to connect to Focal amplifier:
52/41
51/40

For my testing purposes, i have broken out those pairs on separate wires.

Back to shop. Service guy changed the amplifier setting to Standard HIFI amplifier. For that settings on equaliser page nothing new appeared, but on second, fader screen, there appeared two new sliders for setting level of center speaker and subwoofer.

As we played the music and changing level by volume knob worked for:
And additionally changing sliders for woofer and center speaker, changed levels at outputs
52/41 for center speaker
51/40 for subwoofer
I did not noted which was which, but i will.

Changing the amplifier settings to something like Amlifier of 3rd generation.
This setting changed the screen above to have Focal logo.
Turning "on" the radio by pressing volume knob kept audio playing at certain level only on:
Those are in wiring diagram of Focal speakers connected to Focal amp.
Those are not wired in Focal speakers to anything.
Even though in Focal wiring diagram are connected those:
52/41
51/40
to Focal amplifier, I have found no audio signal, but i must say i was testing it with standard multimeter instead of oscilloscope.
Whats more important, there was no control of audio level with knob, nor changing equaliser or fader had any effect on played music.

So that comes to conclusion:
  • in Focal mode, radio outputs standard level (i will check maybe p-p value) via front speakers output
  • amplifier is controlled over CAN bus and does all the magic of eq and fading
  • those two at 52/41 and 51/40 i have no idea yet what are those used for
  • maybe one of those is used to play handsfree sound
I kept amplifier setting as Standard HIFI amplifier so i have center and woofer control.
I will check, if in this mode, headunit does crossover for woofer and center, or all the spectrum goes out via woofer output. Hopefully not :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
So that comes to conclusion:
  • in Focal mode, radio outputs standard level (i will check maybe p-p value) via front speakers output
  • amplifier is controlled over CAN bus and does all the magic of eq and fading
  • those two at 52/41 and 51/40 i have no idea yet what are those used for
  • maybe one of those is used to play handsfree sound
I kept amplifier setting as Standard HIFI amplifier so i have center and woofer control.
I will check, if in this mode, headunit does crossover for woofer and center, or all the spectrum goes out via woofer output. Hopefully not :D
In focal config they have tweeters on rear doors, not only woofers, so here is my idea. Main amplified channels on non focal config may have some EQ preset and even have some high-pass filter to prevent overloading of cheap stock woofers. While "amp" outputs should be more like line outs while amp do all the magic for eq and crossover settings. May be useful for those who want to install 3rd party DSP-amp instead of focal one

·
Registered
8 Posts
In focal config they have tweeters on rear doors, not only woofers, so here is my idea. Main amplified channels on non focal config may have some EQ preset and even have some high-pass filter to prevent overloading of cheap stock woofers. While "amp" outputs should be more like line outs while amp do all the magic for eq and crossover settings. May be useful for those who want to install 3rd party DSP-amp instead of focal one
Agreed. That's why I wrote woofers on rear door:)))

Odoslané z SM-G960F pomocou Tapatalku

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boys. A question. I have put the front tweeters and they do not work. They are focal and I am transforming the whole team. But until the amp reaches me, I wanted to try. Could anyone help me? Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
IIRC the Focal tweeters dont have the crossover capacitor soldered on the back.
They wont work without the Focal amp.
They would... but not for long :) Low frequencies will permanently damage them once you'll try to listen to them without low-pass protection. Also as foolproof they use different pins on connector, so if you'll connect those to the head unit using stock wiring they wouldn't work. You can still change pins in connector and solder capacitor and try to use them like that. it just makes not that much sense without mid speaker and amp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Boys. A question. I have put the front tweeters and they do not work. They are focal and I am transforming the whole team. But until the amp reaches me, I wanted to try. Could anyone help me? Thank you
regular tweeters use pins 2 and 3 on connector while focal ones use 1 and 2. Keep in mind that focal tweeters have no protection from low frequency so they should never be used as is with regular head unit as is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys, can you suggest where to get these pins? Maybe Peugeot sells them too, but I can't get their numbers. Thanks

Odoslané z SM-G960F pomocou Tapatalku

·
Registered
8 Posts
And by the way, in past, i bought two terminals connectors for licence plate light and there are the same female pins.

Ordering number is 6541-E7.

And the connector (offtopic):

121 - 134 of 134 Posts