Peugeot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you find this news? Have you any urls to provide?
I have the opportunity to buy a almost new ps 165 f kit for 100€, but still fear about wf depth : it seems so impossible they can fit...
Unfortunately I still hadn’t way to remove again the door panel and check...
Regarding that new kit, it could be the new tw won’t fit in the triangle. Honestly I found very risky strongly modifying it in order to fit tw bigger than the original ones. The advantage of TNF tw is that’s fitting without any adaption: enlarging the original hole could compromise the triangle fixings

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where did you find this news? Have you any urls to provide?
I have the opportunity to buy a almost new ps 165 f kit for 100€, but still fear about wf depth : it seems so impossible they can fit...
Unfortunately I still hadn’t way to remove again the door panel and check...
Regarding that new kit, it could be the new tw won’t fit in the triangle. Honestly I found very risky strongly modifying it in order to fit tw bigger than the original ones. The advantage of TNF tw is that’s fitting without any adaption: enlarging the original hole could compromise the triangle fixings

2-way component kit with shallow basket design from the Flax Evo range PS 165 FSE - shallow mount version of new f kit.

new tweeter seems to be even smaller. still i'm not convinced with this tw. Even official graph shows rather poor off axis performance same as K2 tw, something TNF has no problems with...

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi Nekonyaa, during the weekend I reopened the door panel...
I wonder how experienker could fit those focal wf without any ring adapter or anyting else.
The door window is absolutely behind the speaker, when fully opened.
The max safe depth available betweel the glass and the original mounting ring is 50 mm. Probably, if the magnet is particularly small, I can imagine we can arrive to a 60mm speaker depth. The focal is 73mm depth :oops:
The mounting hole has a size of 141-142 mm: I decided not to take any risks and go selecting a very low depth WF with Neodymium magnet.
And second, I'll need to find a tw: I don't like the idea to have it visible by creating a hole in the triangle. The original TW is a 40mm net size, difficult finding a good (so small) tweeter: my fear is that removing part of the plastics intended to block the original tw, the risk is in breaking the possibility to firmly re-mount the triangle.
In that direction (even if not the top choice for sure) the new Focal 165 PSE evo could be the perfect sizing

I anyway took some pictures during my check, I'll upload them asap
@Experienker: could you explain us how you managed to fit those big woofers without any modifications?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,
some important news: no need to use extremely slim components, we've the possibility to use ring adapters and uplift a bit the woofer.
I made a trial with an old woofer (65mm net depth, magnet diameter 90mm) and a temporary DIY 10mm MDF ring adapter. it fits!!! I'm pretty sure we can arrive up to 15mm ring height that means we could mount a deeper woofer. Please note that the magnet diameter is important too: no way to get precise measures but I think magnets >=100 mm could annoy the window guide.
The ring adapter is mandatory for another reason too: the Peugeot woofer hole has exactly a 140mm diameter, almost impossible finding a so small basket in a 165mm woofer.
The best solution would be a DIY adapter modeled to host a deep and large woofer.
For the tweeter, we can count on a useful diameter of 39mm, without any modifications. Opting to remove clips intended for the original tweeters, we can mount for sure a tweeter up to 49-50mm.
Max available TW depth is 40mm.
That's all.
On my side, I identified some good kits that could be both very good in quality and avoid too much installation problems:
Ground Zero GZUC650SQ-II
Eton RSE 165
Audio System X 165 EVO2

Any other suggestions on your side? the mentioned kits are in the range of 250-350€, I'd anyway like to spend less than 300€

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, i am so glad to see this thread. I moved from 508 RXH with JBL to 3008 with standard radio (business car, so no way to choose Focals) and the sound is terrible :/ At higher volume, around 25, the radio seems to influence the sound, so it dampens the most significant frequencies. Damn that is bad. So i asked an technician from our shop (who actually bought my old 508RXH) to help me and he printed out the wirings.
As there was mentioned, head unit is different.
For Focal version, there are two additional pairs used and two pairs are connected to front speakers output of the head unit.
I think, head unit with Focals, does not have amplifier IC TAS5414.

Neverheless, i will buy new speakers and replace them in doors.
Sub is also on the way. :)

Yeah.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys, i am so glad to see this thread. I moved from 508 RXH with JBL to 3008 with standard radio (business car, so no way to choose Focals) and the sound is terrible :/ At higher volume, around 25, the radio seems to influence the sound, so it dampens the most significant frequencies. Damn that is bad. So i asked an technician from our shop (who actually bought my old 508RXH) to help me and he printed out the wirings.
As there was mentioned, head unit is different.
For Focal version, there are two additional pairs used and two pairs are connected to front speakers output of the head unit.
I think, head unit with Focals, does not have amplifier IC TAS5414.

Neverheless, i will buy new speakers and replace them in doors.
Sub is also on the way. :)

Yeah.

View attachment 88757
It is not that simple unfortunately.

Focal setup in 3008 works like this: head unit is the same (there are actually two of them - one with navi, one without but audio-wise are almost the same and focal option can work with any of them), outputs 4 channel despite having separate mid and subwoofer channel implemented in hardware - those pins are unused. Then those 4 hi level channels go all the way to the arch of the rear left wheel where they have dedicated mounting location for special "Focal" DSP-amp of sorts. No optical or other way digital connection between those units. This DSP-Amp has 12 channel amplification - 8 for each door speaker, 3 for subwoover, 1 for mid channel. So 4 input channels then converted to 12 amplified channels and then wired from this location to each individual speaker. That's why audio wiring on normal 3008 and focal one is completely different.

I'd say there is almost no point at upgrading just the speakers. Amp on the head unit is just inadequate to drive any decent speakers (even stock focal ones) at all. right way to go would be using dsp+amp and total rewiring of speakers

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not that simple unfortunately.

Focal setup in 3008 works like this: head unit is the same (there are actually two of them - one with navi, one without but audio-wise are almost the same and focal option can work with any of them), outputs 4 channel despite having separate mid and subwoofer channel implemented in hardware - those pins are unused. Then those 4 hi level channels go all the way to the arch of the rear left wheel where they have dedicated mounting location for special "Focal" DSP-amp of sorts. No optical or other way digital connection between those units. This DSP-Amp has 12 channel amplification - 8 for each door speaker, 3 for subwoover, 1 for mid channel. So 4 input channels then converted to 12 amplified channels and then wired from this location to each individual speaker. That's why audio wiring on normal 3008 and focal one is completely different.

I'd say there is almost no point at upgrading just the speakers. Amp on the head unit is just inadequate to drive any decent speakers (even stock focal ones) at all. right way to go would be using dsp+amp and total rewiring of speakers
Hello nekonyaa, thank for clarification. Gives me some hope at least.

The wiring is clear to me. From schematic diagram i have from our shop regarding Focal installation and non Focal installation i can remember (i forgot the wiring at work):

Standard speakers are connected to pins 42-53 / 43-54 / 44-55 / 45-56.
These are outputs from class D amplifier inside of the head unit.

On Focal on the other side are used (afair) pins 43-54 / 44-55 and tiny pins below 42-53 / 41-52.

I have traced 42-53 / 41-52 pairs on PCB in headunit and those are connected to two TPA6211Q - 3,1 W fully differential amplifiers.
Strange is, why they did not use full four channels of power amplifier, but only two.

That at least tells me, that Focal amp needs high levels on input.

How do You know that the head unit is the same?

Thank You

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello nekonyaa, thank for clarification. Gives me some hope at least.

The wiring is clear to me. From schematic diagram i have from our shop regarding Focal installation and non Focal installation i can remember (i forgot the wiring at work):

Standard speakers are connected to pins 42-53 / 43-54 / 44-55 / 45-56.
These are outputs from class D amplifier inside of the head unit.

On Focal on the other side are used (afair) pins 43-54 / 44-55 and tiny pins below 42-53 / 41-52.

View attachment 88764

I have traced 42-53 / 41-52 pairs on PCB in headunit and those are connected to two TPA6211Q - 3,1 W fully differential amplifiers.
Strange is, why they did not use full four channels of power amplifier, but only two.
View attachment 88765

That at least tells me, that Focal amp needs high levels on input.

How do You know that the head unit is the same?

Thank You
Head units are listed in Peugeot Service box. There are two basic types (NAC - with navigaton, RCC - without) each of those have different revisions ("wave 2" for example) but those revisions seems to be more like updated or dedicated regional versions. Also they are VIN-bound.
But there is one guy in Russia who performed non-focal to focal conversion on two 3008 (and there is no focal option in russia because of really stupid reason heh) using stock head unit and focal amp... and total rewiring. Initially i was also going to do the same since i want to preserve stock look of the interior... but looking at ammount of work required for this conversion i'd rather go with some of better speakers and dsp+amp setup - same price, better audio quality

·
Registered
9 Posts
Indeed it can be done. To me, main problem is to find apropriate connectors. Most of the sets i have found were without wiring so that seems to be main issue there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Profor,
I've recently upgraded the original audio system (first step, at least... just front speakers): honestly it isn't finished yet but this evening I'll fix the 2nd crossover and screw the second woofer.
2nd step will be mounting a good DSP+amp that I recently found used (Mosconi D2 100.4 DSP)
Regarding connectors, you can find whatever you want except tweeter adapters: For warranty reasons I decided not to modify or cut anything in the original cables/connectors. See below the list you need:

Woofer adapters: Amazon.com: Cacys-Store - 1pair /2 Pairs Speaker Adaptor Plug Connectors Wire Car Speaker Adaptor Wire For Peugeot 206 For Citroen C2 1999-2015 PC2-821: Home Improvement

Tweeter adapters: not needed. I suggest you to forget the original cabling, also because you couldn't easily separate it from the original WF cabling. It's simpler you directly use the aftermarket TW cable to connect into your new crossover

Then, if you need to connect an hi-level amp (or DSP-amp), just buy this: Connects2 Ltd

Hope this heps you

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
FWIW - I have the terminal pin removal tool for those connectors in my tool box at work.

These type connectors are still in use on brand new BT Toyota Forklifts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Will it fit on all three positions?

Thanks
185760-1 (black)
185760-3 (blue)
185760-4 (white)

they have exaclty the same pin layout but slightly different key as foolproof. Also you will need someone to with knowledge how to enable locked features in headunit to enable focal interface

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank You, unfrtunately, blue for example is out of stock.
Since pin layout is the same on all of them, you can work around just removing key/locking mechanism... i still do doubt that this king of conversion is worth the effort. I had my share of conversations on audiophile grade auto sound workshops and had opportunity to listen to proper hifi setup on 3008. Here's some tips from those conversations:
1. focal made special ultra-shallow woofers to be as universal as possible to fit all PSA cars in future:) Their construction is not optimal to work in 2 way system, they are more like "kickers" - works ok only for low frequency
2. that's why they rely on mid-range speaker, but they use only one in the middle. It is also not optimal for music. With decent 2-way speakers you don't need middle speaker for music. Or you can go all the way to install 3-way speakers but it requires you to mess with a-pillars as an optimal position for mid-range speakers ant tweeters.
3. (this is more of SQ audiophile stuff but also worth consideration) You actually do not need rear speakers at all. In fact they mess with your perception of direction and makes "scene" feel more vague. It is also not possible to tune your audio to be best perceived from any point of your car, either you tune it to have sweet spot for listening or just make it so-so from any seat in the car (way most car manufacturers go). So you can in fact save some money just by disabling rear door speakers and upgrading only front door ones.
4. You can fit shallow mount 8" subwoofer (like Audison APS 8 D) with custom enclosure on the left rear arch to look like it was stock interior design. this way you will not sacrifice leg room for rear passengers as you do with stock focal sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since pin layout is the same on all of them, you can work around just removing key/locking mechanism... i still do doubt that this king of conversion is worth the effort. I had my share of conversations on audiophile grade auto sound workshops and had opportunity to listen to proper hifi setup on 3008. Here's some tips from those conversations:
1. focal made special ultra-shallow woofers to be as universal as possible to fit all PSA cars in future:) Their construction is not optimal to work in 2 way system, they are more like "kickers" - works ok only for low frequency
What else frequency You want it play? I think when it comes to volume, the 508 JBL i had in my previous car had less volume than this one. But okay.

How do You sacrifice leg room on rear seats by installing original sub?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What else frequency You want it play? I think when it comes to volume, the 508 JBL i had in my previous car had less volume than this one. But okay.

How do You sacrifice leg room on rear seats by installing original sub?
it all depends. Focal TNF tweeters (used in peugeot focal and aftermarket old performance series) are only good fro 4khz and up, that why focal performance 2-way set has crossover on ~3,5-4khz. all the rest (80hz to 4khz) is up to woofers.

In proper 3-way system woofers only perform 80 to may be 800, and then there is mid-range speaker doing 800-4000hz range. Human speech is somewhere around 200 to 8khz for male, just for reference.

So, i'm not sure how they tuned crossover frequencies in focal dsp-amp, but they really do rely on this mid-range speaker to make singing voice sound better.

As for leg room, sub takes space under passenger seat, 3008 with focal have different set of floor mats, especially for second row. Whili it is posible to fit this sub with regular floor with some cuts here and there, it will mare floor under the seat slightly higher

101 - 120 of 134 Posts