Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have the 5008 2017+ model which didn't have the option for a speaker upgrade (i.e. Focal option) at the Peugeot dealership in Australia like they do in Europe.
Currently it has the standard 2 front door speakers + 2 front twitters, 2 rear door speakers.

I'm planning to give it an upgrade by replacing the door speakers with a better quality speakers + installing a slimline subwoofer under the seat. Plenty of aftermarket choices from Focal for the door speakers. The subwoofer, however is a different story.
Since there is not that much space under the seat, I need to be extra careful on the selection of the subwoofer unit.

I browsed the service manual and found an interesting "bass box" compartment under the seat. It must be the space that has been allocated to allow the subwoofer upgrade.
I have a PDF snippet on this unit from the service manual but since I'm new I'm not allowed to post the link.

However, it doesn't specifically show what is the dimension of the compartment. I'm guessing this is currently empty. Very curious on what is the depth of this space is like.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump. Any pointer on where I can find some info? Perhaps I need to do some exploratory disassembly by taking off the passenger front seat and the carpet lining off. I wonder how difficult it is to take off the carpet without damaging it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Go buy the Focal Subwoofer / Enclosure from Peugeot directly.

Part Number: 9809351580 £175 GBP (Optional nut to install it - 6935A6 £1.25)

You can order overseas parts from your local dealer (for example I got a Japanese Domestic Market part only, in the UK)

The reason being, you can install this whole unit perfectly and it includes the subwoofer itself which is a triple voice coil power flower Focal Subwoofer. The Power Flower design is mainly used in their high end Utopia series which says a lot.

Making custom enclosures takes a lot of time, skill and patience - Just the raw materials like wood will end up costing over £50. With this, you can mostly plug and play.

The issues I believe you will have is finding somewhere to put the amp and wiring the amp to the subwoofer - it will use a custom plug you will have to chop off and wire directly. Your local audio installers will be able to do it easily though if you aren't capable/comfortable.

You can thank me by taking lots of pics of the bass unit thank you very much... as I am so tempted to buy one myself to retrofit into another car haha :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im interested in this subject too. But my biggest hurdle is knowing if the NAC has AUX Out or Digital Out and if it needs software intervention to enable the sub output. Ive been aching to give my car some audio boost since i got my hands on it last February! Stupid me, i didnt order it with the Focal package!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a new 3008, but I guess the same things apply (more or less). Been thinking of installing an active subwoofer inside the boot and routing the signal from the back side doors. But if one can actually buy the original Focal sub and get it working, I’m pretty interested to do that. Previously I was told that it’s not possible to buy/install it if didn’t config the car originally with Focal system.

Would love to know a bit more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
769 Posts
Im interested in this subject too. But my biggest hurdle is knowing if the NAC has AUX Out or Digital Out and if it needs software intervention to enable the sub output. Ive been aching to give my car some audio boost since i got my hands on it last February! Stupid me, i didnt order it with the Focal package!
I think it should be a sticky... if ordering a new 3008 or 5008 or 508... always tick the Focal option. The amount of stuff you get for the money is astounding, it's not just all the speakers, subwoofer, amps... it's also laminated side glass and other sound deadening!!

Your headunit will not have either option. It will require a decent 5 channel amp and a fair bit of wiring.

The subwoofer from Peugeot will not be a plug and play item, it will need wiring up like a normal subwoofer bought from elsewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately some of us (Eg. Australians) are not even given an option to order the car with Focal upgrade.

The prospect of retrofitting is very interesting. I’m aware that some sacrifice will need to be made.

Currently, I’m exploring the option of using that enclosure space originally intended to be used by Focal oem subwoofer and use one of those “under the seat” sub. Like one of these which has built-in amp.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/amplifiers/bass-enclosures/ibus-21

Otherwise, if my local dealer can order me the original Focal subwoofer part, I also wouldn’t cross the option of installing additional amp.
In the service manual, it looks like they already reserved space for the amp at the rear section of the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go buy the Focal Subwoofer / Enclosure from Peugeot directly.

Part Number: 9809351580 £175 GBP (Optional nut to install it - 6935A6 £1.25)

You can order overseas parts from your local dealer (for example I got a Japanese Domestic Market part only, in the UK)

The reason being, you can install this whole unit perfectly and it includes the subwoofer itself which is a triple voice coil power flower Focal Subwoofer. The Power Flower design is mainly used in their high end Utopia series which says a lot.

Making custom enclosures takes a lot of time, skill and patience - Just the raw materials like wood will end up costing over £50. With this, you can mostly plug and play.

The issues I believe you will have is finding somewhere to put the amp and wiring the amp to the subwoofer - it will use a custom plug you will have to chop off and wire directly. Your local audio installers will be able to do it easily though if you aren't capable/comfortable.

You can thank me by taking lots of pics of the bass unit thank you very much... as I am so tempted to buy one myself to retrofit into another car haha :thumb:

Decided to bit the bullet and ordered the bass unit from eurocarcare.net since my local peugeot dealer hasn’t been very responsive.
It’ll take about 1 week to arrive from UK. I’ll take lots of photos for you once it’s arrived ;).
After this, it’ll be another bout of research on the wiring colour coding from the headunit for the amp unit. I’m hoping that the headunit has line output so a line out converter is not needed as it generally reduces quality. I’m tempted to DIY this since my local car audio installers haven’t handled too many Peugeot.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You won't have a line out on your headunit, no manufacturer standard headunit has line outs... they wouldn't make it so easy.

You'll have to install something like: https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product-m-alpine-mrv-v500-p-32727.htm (Or if you wanna keep it Focal, it's £500-600 for the amp!)

What you do there is get a suitable Parrot SOT lead, insert it between the original headunit and the car loom. The "output" from the ISO lead goes into the Amp (separate power cables required, DO NOT power from the loom!) and then the output from the AMP goes into the "input" from the ISO lead.

If you are lucky, you might be able to get Peugeot Planet to tell the headunit to put itself into Amp mode, turning the speaker outs into line outs (I don't have a 5008 or equivalent car so can't test unfortunately)

When you get the OEM subwoofer, can you remove the subwoofer and use a multimeter on the resistance settings, I need to know what resistance the voice coils (and how many voice coils there are) to give you an idea on how to wire it all up :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bass unit arrived today! That was a lot quicker than I expected.
As promised here are the photos :)

How do I request mods of this
forum to allow me uploading photos in high res?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More photos.

I will reupload once the forum mods allow me
to upload high res images :).

I’m still restricted a lot due to being a newbie.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also measured resistance with a multimeter. Every pair is reading at 2.4ohm.

How do I wire 3 pairs of cables?

The bass box dimension is at approx 56 x 57 cm. I’m surprised that there is that much space under the seat.

·
Registered
769 Posts
How many pins in that plug? 3 or 6?

Are there any magnets left in the enclosure when you took the sub out? I feel a bit cheated to be honest, Focal described it as a power flower arrangement which means separate magnets arranged in a radial pattern :-/

The triple voice coil is expected though and 2.4ohm is very workable :) (pick an amp that works with resistance loads between 2-4ohms :) )

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6 pins in the plug.

2.4 ohm measured with dc multimeter is generally means the coil is rated at 4 ohm each.

How does one arrange the connection between the 3 coils? Parallel or series all 3?
If putting them in series, it will mean it’s rated at 12ohm while putting them in parallel will mean only about 1.3 ohm? Am I analysing it correctly?

·
Registered
769 Posts
6 pins.... highly unusual! It means there's effectively 3 separate amplifiers in that one amp block.

It's not unheard of, I am sat with a triple voice coil subwoofer from Cambridge Audio that was part of a THX certified audio system and that subwoofer was amazing.

Most audio people won't actually come across a triple voice coils. Each coil should be 2Ohm, the extra resistance will be down to the resistance in your measurement tool and the subwoofer acts as a microphone to any noise....

Even then the resistance will change depending on the frequency..... in short, it's not as black and white as you might think.

In parallel the resistance would drop to 0.667 Ohms which would damage even the best amplifier. Series would be best but it would equate to 6ohms which would cut the bass by somewhere around 30% :nono:

My proposal is a hybrid, two coils in parallel and the third in series. That should get you somewhere around 3 ohms which should be a safe load. But the effect on sound quality.... is up for debate.

If that sounds complicated, what's the speaker width? You might be able to grab a replacement sub

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello i have the 3008 gt-line without the focal sound system but when i detached the center speaker cover on the dashboard i found the plug for the speaker!!! So does that mean that the car has the rest of the plugs for the subwoofer and rear tweeters and the amplifier for just plug in play??

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hello i have the 3008 gt-line without the focal sound system but when i detached the center speaker cover on the dashboard i found the plug for the speaker!!! So does that mean that the car has the rest of the plugs for the subwoofer and rear tweeters and the amplifier for just plug in play??
No. You won't have the rest of the loom.... the important parts. Feel free to have a look though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That’s a good news.

One of these free weekends, I’m going to take off front passenger seat and check if they have preinstalled the loom by default. It’s quite common for a manufacturer to have a single part for all trims.

I found out that Focal’s “12 way system” is basically consisting of 2FR speakers, 2FR tweeters, 1 center speaker, 2 Rear Speakers, 2 Rear Tweeters, and 1 subwoofer.
But wait, that’s only 10 ways. Where is the other 2?

Well as now we know, the subwoofer is triple coil, so it’s counted as 3 ;).

In a typical car manufacturer’s arrangement for the “premium” system, 1 door speaker and 1 door tweeter are served via a single channel out of the head unit (1 pair of +/-). So 2 channels for FR left and right including tweeters, 2 channels for RR left and right including tweeters, 1 channel for center speaker and 1 channel for the sub.

The center speaker is hardly useful in most car speakers arrangement (e.g. clouding the stereo separation) so I’d leave it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found out today the front door tweeters are pioneer which is pretty good but when i detached one tweeter and connected it to the center speaker plug to check if its working but there was no sound though when i connected it, i think it might need to be programmed by peugeot planet but i am.excites to know if the rest of the loom for subwoofer and rear tweeters and amp are there?.....

1 - 20 of 91 Posts