Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 407 has developed a healthy knocking from the front, initially occurred when I was on full lock, every now and again, but now happens quite a lot under smaller loads including pulling away and coming to a stop. I thought it might be the lower ball joint but I cant feel any play. I replaced a lower ball joint on opposite side a few weeks ago so i know what to "feel" for. The steering also feels like it has very slight free play in the wheel, i.e. small turn of the wheel produces no change in direction (I'm hoping its not a dead steering rack)

I suspect inner tie rod because when I get someone to tug at the steering wheel with drivers wheel in the air I can feel play in the tie rod and hear a knock. Tie rod end at the wheel seems fine. Knock sounds like its coming from the middle of the engine.

Its less than 20 quid for the part and my local garage who I trust cant get the car looked at for 2 weeks, so I shall try DIY.

Anyone have any tips for me? Looks straight forward enough but do I need a special tool to remove it? Space to work looks minimal.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looking more in to this and it may be my CV joint which is knackered. Oh Joy!
I sometimes get knocking when coming to a stop and initially pulling away, also when turning sharply from side to side it makes a clunk.

I had to repack the drivers side CV boot a month or so ago after it has been loose and dumped all its grease. I have no idea how long it was like that (possibly 1000-2000miles as it was my mums car and she never notices this kind of stuff) so it could have had too much grit ingress and chewed up the bearings!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts