Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of play on both inner joints on my 307 SW so decided to replace complete tie rods and new outer joints also. Had a quick look at the Haynes book, usual text which is not a lot of help so had a good look and see there is no room hardly at all to get to the inner joint. How do people do it? Do you take the steering rack out and do it on the bench or am I missing something as I can barely get to the clip holding the rubber boot in place let alone the joint to get any type of tool on it. I had a quick search and it seems people can do it but they don't say how.

·
5,633 Posts
There is just enough room with the rack on full lock to gain access to the joints.

The hardest part is getting the gaiter clips off (the will pop open with a small screwdriver in the clip) the best thing to do is replace them with jubilee clips as it is easier to use these than try and re use clips.

You will need a large pair of stillsons or similar to undo the old and tighten the new one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is just enough room with the rack on full lock to gain access to the joints.

The hardest part is getting the gaiter clips off (the will pop open with a small screwdriver in the clip) the best thing to do is replace them with jubilee clips as it is easier to use these than try and re use clips.

You will need a large pair of stillsons or similar to undo the old and tighten the new one.
Thanks windy. I was thinking not long after posting if when on full lock it may be easier. That confirms it for me. The gaiter clips will be tricky though but obviously not impossible. OK thanks, I will go tackle it now. :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I have just come back in, I don't have any mole grips big enough, my pipe wrenches are rubbish and the stilsons I have are way too small. What size stilsons/mole grips have you guys used? Even on full lock you have to grip at an angle so not that easy to get a grip unless I can get the right tool so suggestions/recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Borrow some big mole grips or a quality 18" Stillson wrench from a friend. You don't get much room to move the wrench, you need a tool that will grip without needing much movement to take up the slack.
There is a tool for the job, something like a thin jawed 33mm open ended spanner I think. But I have never used one, I always managed with Stillsons.

Roger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well all done now. I bought some 18 inch stilsons, always handy anyway and yes worked easily. As posted above the hardest part is the larger clip, I also had to use jubilee clips with a ratchet as the only way I could get anything tight, the ratchet had room to move one click at a time so it was a slow process. All's well that ends well and thanks for the advice, made a tricky job not quite so tricky. :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts