Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2000 206 2.0 HDI It has a problem where the fuel level reading is too high. The computer in the car presumably does know the actual reading because it does put on the light saying out of fuel when it gets to that stage.. however the guage still at that point says between a quarter and half a tank is left (a lie). I know this to be a lie based on the amount of fuel it then takes to fill it. once it's full the guage goes way off the scale at the top.

So I am asking you experts out there if this is a known problem and how to solve it (and at what cost).. what causes it?

I may be able to fix this in the way I recalibrated the speedometer on a RAV4. I did this by removing the needle and putting it back on the pin at a different point. Managed to correct the speedometer which was 15 miles an hour out to be exact. Alternatively As the fuel guage is a volt meter I could add a potentiometer in series with it and then turn the pot screw until the fuel guage reading is correct.

any simpler solutions?

CHeers

James

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

The petrol gauge in the 206 is not good to say the least,psa wont admit it but it is a very common complaint.

The 206 is known to trap air in the fuel tank and that it can effect the fuel gauge reading. Take of the fuel filler cap and rock the car ,see if it makes any difference. (hi-tech stuff eh?)

It could also be the float arm.There is an arm that comes off the pump with a float on it that rises and falls as you add fuel and use fuel, if there is a bend or kink or even poorly fitted then it will be innacurate

There was a recall for diesel 206's Apr 2005: Possible seepage from the diesel fuel return pipe (HDi models).

Wouldnt affect the fuel gauge but worth checking that it has been done.

Hope some of this is a help :nod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
may not be the sender unit

Hi There,
Thanks for the welcome, expect i'll see you all around on here. Hopefully oneday contributing help rather than just asking for it.

I don't think in this case it's the sender unit in the tank or the float because the petrol warning light still comes on at the right time - so the computer must still know the level of the fuel but just be misreporting it. (assuming the computer gets involved in fuel management, most do these days I beleive).
I read elsewhere on the net that the 206 is well known for having needles badly stuck on their spindles in the instrument panel. Hopefully this means that correction may just be removing the needle and putting it back in a different place. I am going to fill up after various fuel usages (eg 200 miles, 300 miles) and make notes of the position of the needle and the litres consumed. Hopefully I can deduce how much to move it.

One question which will be really useful.. how far does your 206 guage normally go off the scale above full when it's brimming full. Mine goes so far up it practically touches the cowling!

Thanks

James

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dont have a 206 but have worked on several. Have seen full tanks not even register on the gauge and empty ones registering full. there is a problem with the 206 in this respect but you will never get peugeot to admit it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Warning light works, gauge seem to go no lower than 1/3 a tank and when filled up the needle almost goes though the windscreen! (Slight exaggeration).

@jtq4u did you get this fixed?

I'm keen to get it fixed as it's 10 years old now I want to sell it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts