Peugeot Forums banner

Immobised during ignition

4K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Normat 
#1 ·
3l Boxer 2009, horse box conversion. Using the LX key, unlocked, inserted key, half turn, all dash check as usual, turn for ignition and all cuts out, as if the immobiliser has engaged. Key wont then lock the door, no power. jumped it with no prob, runs fine, then 3 days later did it again. And 2 days later again. I thought I might be pressing the lock function on the key as I turned it and this was somehow related, but yesterday did it with much care and clunk. Spoke to Equitrek who did the conversion and they know nothing, my garage trying to get it to do it again. Any ideas I can pass on to them?

#3 ·
Hi, took the Boxer to Peugeot to run diagnostic and have been told there is no error recorded on the computer. I dont understand how it could immobilise on three occasions and not record a fault. They are hanging onto it overnight in the hope it will evidence the fault in the morning. Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Immobilised!

Yes, key turns to half, all dash lights as per normal, continue turn, everything dead. Not battery, and the diagnostic said no fault had been recorded. I don't know how this works, but I'm curious as to how I could have a dead van which had to be jump started and the computer does not record any fault. By the way, when jumped, all electrics clunk back when lead attached, then start on first turn. Hasn't done it now for about 10 starts, but as I set off to pick up horses at 7 in the morning, not good to think it just might and Peugeot not able to identify!

#7 ·
First time, via bonnet connectors, by the garage. 2nd and 3rd time, on the battery, as the farmer doing it insisted that was better. The battery has so many additional bits of wiring attached, only one by Equitrek for the internal box lights.

#8 ·
Not a reply, just an update. Peugeot cannot identify a fault, started several times, will not reproduce fault. Say battery fine, solenoid in starter fine, immobiliser fine. Suggested I try to film the fault next time it happens. So keep the camera rolling every time I turn the key. Obvious really. Any thoughts on starter motor not making a connection? On carrying a battery in the back to jump it with? Size? On pulling out hair and booking in for the stress induced heart problems? On the joys of experiencing first world problems? Thanks for any feedback.

#9 ·
It sounds to me like electrics are shutting off completely due to starter load so the only logical thing is a bad connection on battery or a bad earth lead on engine/body this is why no fault is stored as there is no fault as far as the computer is concerned someone is turning the power off :)

It is NOT the immobiliser immobiliser would allow cranking and not cut all power and when key turned back there would still be power.

It is battery related in some way but without seeing cannot be more help be carefull with jumpstarts too they can cause problems :)

G
#10 ·
I've had a one van that was jump started using the wiper linkage as earth. The whole wiring loom along the bulkhead had fused together. Thats why im asking specifically how it was jumpstarted. There is an earth point on the bonnet slam panel with a sticker along side it but no one look at or uses it.

#11 ·
Thank you both for replies, that makes some sense, as my garage checked battery and hasn't faulted since then, so possible they tweaked one of the pile of wires. Will continue to observe. The jump starting. If this is done on the connectors designed for it under the bonnet, should that be ok? Thanks again.

#13 ·
Hello again, thought I'd update. Faulted again on Thursday after 2 weeks of not, jumped it to get the horses back, again, when jumped, seemed to be very low charge in battery. Took to Auto Auto Diagnostics Services of Leeds on Thurs afternoon, Chris is ex Peugeot Castleford, found the fault in 5 minutes. The battery was not connecting/connecting intermittently with the positive terminal, the gap being between the terminal and the collar? Might not be right terminology.. This also meant it was taking charge intermittently from the alternator, which I may have to replace. Highly recommend ADS to anyone with an electrical fault, Peugeot or otherwise. Having had it off the road for 2 days with my garage and Peugeot, (and I do recognise if it was connecting then they wouldn't be able to diagnose anything) it was refreshing to be dealt with by someone who explained and showed me what was going on. Hurrah!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.