Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect I know what the issue might be, but I'd like a second opinion from anyone who has a bit more experience with these cars before I go any further down what could possibly be the wrong route...

Due to a suspected BSI/ECU failure, I have exchanged all parts including the gauges, transponder ring, keys etc from a donor car. The model numbers for the ECU and BSI were the same on both the donor and my car (took a long time to find!) :) and all appeared to be good after the swap. However, the car seems to be stuck in economy mode and the immobiliser seems to be stopping the car from starting.

I have read that the economy mode will be cleared once the car is started, so that is not a concern at the moment, however the immobiliser is more of a problem. The reason I suspect that the immobiliser is at fault, is that there is no noise when the key is in the ignition and the door open, which I understand is a indicator that the key isn't being recognised. I also understand that the coding between the key and the car can be lost if the battery is disconnected for some time (which is effectively the case here) so I assume this is what has happened.

The next problem I have, is that I don't have the 4 digit PIN from the donor car, which will be the one I need to code the keys. I don't have access to planet but I am considering buying it. I assume that once I have it, I can read the VIN form the ECU, use that to get the PIN and then code the keys? Will I need virgin key transponders or will I be able to make it 'see' the original keys from the donor car which should still be coded to it? (The remote locking works fine). Is there anyway of checking for certain that it is the immobiliser before I go any further down this route?

I'm wondering just how far to go with this car. I had hoped that the swap would cure the issue, but hadn't realised that the codes could be lost. I'm at the point where I'm torn between spending any more money on it or just breaking it for spares (its had loads of new components in the last 12 months that I should be able to sell the parts for a reasonable figure) but I'd rather get it sorted and sell it as a whole to save myself the hassle. It was my partners daily driver, but she has lost all faith in it now, so we have already got her a replacement car.

It's a 2004 307 SW XSI hdi 136bhp.

Any help much appreciated!

Dave

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
To be honest you seem to be nearly there. Forum members Betty Swollocks and Trusteme could decode the PIN from the vin and also Trustme is an auto locksmith. If you sent him one of the keys he could extract the pin from the key.

You could get someone who lives close to connect their planet to read the vin from the BSI and then return to code the keys when you have the pin for just a few beer tokens. They could also check the status of the ecu with the key in place to see if it''s locked or umlocked.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/off-topic-3/need-20-posts-before-pm-72601/#post459593

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
If the remote works then the bsi has not lost it setting but it sounds like either the transponder pick up ring is faulty, not connected properly or the transponder chip is missing from the key check for the black chip in the key case also check that the connector housing has not come away from the pcb on the comms unit where the receiver ring plugs in and try put the old receiver ring back on as that's not coded and does not need to be swapped also

just to clear things up I can not get the pin from the key but I can get it out of the bsi or if I'm present at the vehicle I can extract it through the can wires or if you have vin I can get it for you

It would also be useful to know what the original fault and reason for swapping bsi and ecu set

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, some really useful information there. Especially the part about the transponder ring, I was always under the impression that this needed to be swapped with they keys, so I will put the old one back on again as I know this used to work.

The background to the fault is a bit long and painful so I didn't want to bore everyone with it but here goes!...

My girlfriend was driving to work one morning when the alternator packed up and the car stopped. She called the AA but only having the basic breakdown cover, they just towed her to the nearest garage. The garage said that they could fix it that day (albeit at a horrendous cost for an alternator swap) but I was away with work at the time and since she needed the car ASAP it seemed like the only sensible option. When she picked up the car at the end of the day, they told her that they had fitted the alternator, but the battery was knackered and the car probably wouldn't start in the morning without a new one, but they didn't have one and couldn't fit one (great service eh?) :nono: Worrying about getting to work the next day, and even if the car would start again if she stopped on the way home, she drove straight to another garage who were able to fit her a new battery. All seemed well for the next 2 days....

Then on her way home everything electric started to go crazy. Nearly all the dash lights came on for completely different systems (ABS, antipollution fault, coolant level etc) so she drove straight home, parked on the drive and then tried to restart the car. Still all the crazy warning lights and it would turn over but not start. Had it towed to her usual local garage where they read the error codes (there were lots of them) cleared them and then decided that it was possibly one of the fuel system sensors. Again, I've struggled to find out much of the detail as I was still away at this point. They replaced the sensor, which didn't solve the problem and then called an auto electrician. He basically spent a couple of hours on the car tried to trace any continuity issues, bad earths etc and deduced that the ECU was knackered and it would be about a grand to replace.... at which point my other half was about ready to put a match to it having spent about that on it in the last week only to still have a very broken car.

When I came back, my first thoughts were that one of the garages has fried the BSI somewhere in the alternator swap and battery replacement process by not following the correct procedure. I'd love to try and make a claim against them, but its pointless as it will be impossible to prove who actually caused the problem. So we bought her another car so she was mobile, parked up the 307 and swore at it a lot!

In the meantime, I've been looking out for matching numbers ECU/BSI/dash/key sets and managed to find one for £50 so figured it had to be worth a punt. I swapped everything over yesterday and it seems to have cured the issue with the dash lights. I was scared because the electric windows and mirrors didn't work, but then read up on economy mode and that all seems to make sense.... but the car still won't start.

The lack of noise when they key is in the ignition and door open makes me think that it isn't picking up the key, so I'll try changing back to the original transponder ring and see if that works. I've never failed in getting a car working before and its bugging me that I haven't managed to with this one yet. My biggest problem is that there has been so much work done by other people since it was working correctly, by the time I got my hands on it it was mostly in pieces with half the stuff in the boot - so I don't really know what has been done to it.

I'd love to get it sorted and it feels like I'm nearly there. I've seen the planet kit on ebay for about £50 so I'm tempted to go down that route and then maybe sell it afterwards. But at the same time I'm getting close to the point where I need to walk away from it as it has also run out of MOT while its been off the road and I just don't want to keep throwing money away.

Its a shame because its a lovely car, goes well and is really economical. We drove over 3,000 miles around Europe in it on holiday last summer without issue and it is the only car that doesn't give me back ache. My girlfriend has refused to even see it again though! So its tucked away in the garage out of sight at the moment.

I've had a look on the map for anyone with planet, but the nearest people are at least 45 mins drive away and they haven't been online for some time (I'm in the empty spot on the North Notts/Lincolnshire border). So I figured that even by the time I've paid for their fuel and a bit of beer money, for 2 visits it will be cheaper for me to buy my own copy.

Sorry for the epic story! And thanks for the input... I'm off to check the keys and swap the transponder rings back now - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If the remote works then the bsi has not lost it setting but it sounds like either the transponder pick up ring is faulty, not connected properly or the transponder chip is missing from the key check for the black chip in the key case also check that the connector housing has not come away from the pcb on the comms unit where the receiver ring plugs in and try put the old receiver ring back on as that's not coded and does not need to be swapped also

just to clear things up I can not get the pin from the key but I can get it out of the bsi or if I'm present at the vehicle I can extract it through the can wires or if you have vin I can get it for you

It would also be useful to know what the original fault and reason for swapping bsi and ecu set

I would say the same the pick up ring round the key, seen one before and another pick up ring fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update:

I've double checked the new key and the black transponder chip is present. I've also just changed the pickup ring back to the original and it now bleeps when the door is open and the key is in the ignition (it only seems to do this after I have tried to start it, but I'm struggling to remember if this was the case before).

Unfortunately, it still won't start. It turns over really fast, but it's not even attempting to fire up. I'm beginning to think that I may have now resolved all of the immobiliser/ECU issues as everything seems to be operating as it should. My fear is that something else has been done, such as a sensor disconnected that I'm not aware of. I've checked around everything I can and all seems to be where it should be. I've also checked and cleaned all the earths I can find (main one on the gearbox and two others to the body around the ECU) and they all seem to be OK.

I'm at a loss where to go next other than to buy planet and see what codes are stored.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You mentioned that a garage thought there was something wrong with a fuel system sensor - I would check this out. To be honest though at this point it's gonna be really hard to diagnose the problem without planet as there are just too many things it could be!

As far as the door bong goes, it won't come on until the door has been shut so for example:
open door, put key in, it won't bong
open door, put key in, close door, open door again and it will bong
with door shut, put key in, open door and it will bong

And well done for making it this far :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes Finding what other people have messed with Is often the hardest part of fixing something IMHO

the Bong sound happens on mine as I stop turn off and then open the door whilst leaving the key in

Few planet members around your area but I know some will travel some distance to Aid a fellow Forum member but as it is sunday today lots of peeps are doing the weekend thing

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
While trying to start get someone to spray easy start in the air intake and if it runs on that then it's not getting fuels so then you need to check ecu and bsi is paired and ecu is unlocked

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help and support guys!

As far as the door bong goes, it won't come on until the door has been shut so for example:
open door, put key in, it won't bong
open door, put key in, close door, open door again and it will bong
with door shut, put key in, open door and it will bong
Tried the above and it is now definitely seeing the key :thumb: I even tried it with the key near the ignition rather than in it and it still makes the bonging noise until you pull it away. This works with both the keys from the donor car but not with the original one (as expected) so I'm pretty sure that I can now rule that out.

My next thought was to try and eliminate anything I could without having access to planet. It was a bit difficult as I'm on my own today so I have no one handy to crank it over while I check things. I like the idea of the easy start - I'll deffo give that a try. Hopefully if it fires it will also clear the economy mode which might make things a bit clearer. Since the car has been stood for a couple of months I guess its possible that something else might have given up on it. I'm going to try and find out from the garage exactly what they did, but I'm not hopeful that I'll get much sense out of them. I have a feeling that I might resort to buying planet with the intention of selling it on when I finally get it sorted.

The battery started to die from all the cranking and I was getting grumpy, so I put it on charge and went to fit the new head unit in my truck. Which actually went well :)

Thanks again, I'll no doubt be on here with further updates over the next few days!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Further progress and frustration this evening...

Firstly I noticed a loose sensor of some description tucked out of sight on the scuttle panel (I picked it up by mistake while trying to tidy some tools away). A quick google indicated that it was a cam position sensor so had a look where this should go. Sure enough it had been replaced but the bolt for the new one was only finger tight and the sensor was wobbling around. Tightened it up and then noticed that the connector next to it for the glow plugs had also been disconnected but wasn't obvious until you got close. I tried to start it again, but with no joy so I then decided to check every other connector I could find.

I also found the connectors had been loosely disconnected for what I think are the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump. I plugged these in and tried cranking it yet again. This time there was definitely a noise from the fuel pump area which was previously missing but it still didn't fire.

I then noticed that it was no longer making the 'bong' noise with the key in the ignition and door open. I disconnected the transponder ring again, and slightly bent the pins to give it a better connection as it did feel loose. Thankfully I got the 'bong' noise back, but by this time the constant cranking had started to drain the battery and I could hear it getting slow.

I've given up again for tonight and put the battery on charge again. I checked what I could on the fuel system and the primer bulb feels solid although it does look like some of the connectors have been removed recently so god knows what the garage have done with it. My worry now is that there may have been air in the pump and that the constant cranking may have damaged it :(

I also wonder if all the problems may have arisen from the transponder ring failing. Has anyone else had one fail on them while driving? It would make sense that the car would keep running for safety until it was stopped and then not start again and might also explain all the random dash lights right at the start of this saga. I know that with most of the keyless immobilisers you can start the car and walk away and it will still run until you have to start it again.

I'm going to give it one more try at cranking with a full power battery and if that fails, I'll order the planet kit and hopefully that will lead me to the answer.... or at least put me on the trail of whatever else has been messed around with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts