Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, last week I went ahead and did it.

I got rid of my lovely 2017 Peugeot 3008 GT Line and got a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav.

Now, I really liked the 3008 (note: not loved). The exterior looked great. The interior looked great. The technology seemed great. The software wasn’t (in my opinion). And the dealer support for a recent recall regarding the timing belt led to what became the final straw.

If you’ve got a cuppa to hand and fancy a read, this is the post for you…

As you may know from a previous post, shortly after getting the 3008 back in 2018, the head unit bricked after doing a software update (following all of Peugeot’s instructions). That left me without air conditioning, radio, navigation, or anything that involved the touch screen and took several weeks to sort out (including waiting for a 4ft barcode!). (New firmware/system version: 21.07.16.32).

Then I had several problems with warning lights coming on and the speed limiter failing when coming onto a motorway which pointed to an engine rebuild (Complete engine rebuild!).

I also needed to replace the two front tyres back in 2019 and was told by KwikFit that - after fitting them - their £150,000 tyre tracking machine couldn’t track the wheels because it wouldn’t let them enter the car’s details into the computer. The result was that Peugeot would have to do it instead - something to do with calibrating the wheels to the camera for lane keeping assist etc. The guy was gobsmacked - he’d never heard of such a thing (Complete engine rebuild!).

In the meantime I’ve just got on with the electrical/software issues that plagued me day-to-day: sluggish infotainment display, forward parking sensors which would kick in while stopped at traffic lights with nothing (car or person) in front of them, sudden ‘Brake!’ alerts on the digital dashboard for no apparent reason (nothing in front of me).

Then, in January this year there was a recall (JZR) to do with the timing chain which I covered in another post (3008 recall - software cannot talk to car!).

I notice I never updated that post, and the reason for this is because I concentrated of getting shut of this nightmare of a car. This is what happened…

First off, it took just over two months to sort and I dealt with three dealerships. And every one of them messed up the courtesy car I’d booked a couple of weeks earlier. Annoying, but not the final straw.

In my previous post I mention that the first dealership said their “systems are down” and I’d have to take it to another dealer who had the software to do the recall. The second dealership looked at it and I said:

“So, I arrange this and have to wait a while for a date as I need a courtesy car. When I take it in they have the car for a full day and when I go to collect it 8 hours later… they haven't done anything… because… "our systems can't connect to your car's software".

They said they'll get back to me as and when IT support get back to them with a solution. I'm not holding my breath.”
Well, if I had held my breath I’d be dead. It took ages because of the courtesy car problems, each time it was cancelled I’d have to rebook.

Now, after being messed around for over a month, I decide to call my local dealer again to see if their systems are working again. And this is when I decided the car had to go.

They tell me that they no longer have computer systems which talk to Peugeot. They do sales, MOTs and services but will no longer handle anything relating to the cars computer systems.

Um, what? The problems the car has had have all had to be dealt with via the mythical ‘Peugeot computer’ - what am I supposed to do if something happens again? Like warning lights/speed limiter/head unit/tracking/anything else that involves software? “Take it to another dealer.”

Now it’s my turn to be gobsmacked. I get in touch with another dealer who has a computer system that talks to the Peugeot computer and I book it in to get the recall done. They mess up the courtesy car again but tell me I can still bring it in for the recall and wait while they check it, but if the recall needs to be carried out then I’d have to bring it back and leave it with them for a few days.

Well, I tell them I’ll hang around (which I do for an hour or so) and - thank goodness - it doesn’t need the recall to be carried out.

So, I get back to what I had planned to do last year (pre-Covid) and that was to get rid of the thing. I didn’t want to get another car which sounds like a pinball machine and with all the software issues that this has. I know there will always be a chance of some sort of problem, but the less tech, the less chance of software glitches.

After looking at all the similar sized SUVs I settled on the Mazda CX-5. I went for the 2018 version - the Sport Nav - just before they stuck a load more tech on such as adaptive radar cruise control and called it the Sport Nav+ (something I didn’t want after this experience).

I’ll be completely honest with you, it was a hard thing to do. The CX-5 has a lovely interior with leather heated seats (and steering wheel) but compared to the 3008 it doesn’t envelope you. I will really miss that. I loved the exterior of the 3008, lots of nice chrome detailing which the CX-5 has less of. Driving the CX-5 has (so far!) been a pleasurable experience, I love the command dial below the gear lever (which controls the infotainment screen) and having actual physical climate controls is a godsend.

Time will tell if the CX-5 and I get on, but after several failed ‘relationships’ with French cars - Peugeot and three Renaults (why did it take so many to realise?!) - I hope we’ll get on better.

For anyone who may want to know what I consider the pros and cons between the CX-5 Sport Nav (2018) and the Peugeot 3008 GT Line (2017), here they are:

CX-5 Pros
  • Heads-up display (this is great and shows speed, speed limits and navigation directions)
  • Analogue speedo/rev counter (weirdly, I sort of like the old school feel of them?!)
  • Heated seats and heated steering wheel
  • Physical climate controls
  • Infotainment commander dial
  • Apple CarPlay is really fast loading
  • Lovely, really smooth manual gear changes
  • Electric tailgate
  • Bose sound system
  • Can fit roof rails if I want them
  • Rain sensing wipers actually work (can also change sensitivity)

CX-5 Cons
  • Boot is a touch smaller than the 3008 (505L)
  • Less underfloor storage than 3008
  • No turbo (naturally aspirated 2.0L, meaning you need to work the engine a bit more, for example if you want to pull away fast)
  • Less tech than the 3008 (which is what I wanted)
  • Reserve parking camera quality poor
  • Not many at the moment as I’ve only had it a week!

3008 Pros
  • Luxurious interior
  • Lovely exterior
  • Digital dashboard (loved the navigation directions for getting in lane on a motorway)
  • Really comfy seats
  • Lovely steering wheel (really miss that)
  • Loads of space in the boot (inc underneath for storage)
  • 1.2L Turbo (quick off the mark)

3008 Cons
  • Slow, sluggish infotainment
  • Apple CarPlay takes ages to appear on the screen and sometimes becomes unavailable
  • Climate controls adjustable on touchscreen (I found this too distracting)
  • Clunky manual gearbox
  • Car jerks when changing from 1st to 2nd (never got the balance right)
  • Dealer support for software is worrying
  • Rain sensitive wipers needed a lot of rain to work so usually overrode them manually
  • Dealer said my 2017 model couldn’t have roof rails fitted

As I say, I’m sure I’ll find more cons/annoyances with the CX-5 as time goes by, and some of the features (such as heated seats) may be available on higher/newer specs of 3008.

So, I’m afraid this is my farewell to the Peugeot forums. Its been great to be part of a group which has been so helpful with advice for a range of peoples questions and I hope that you don’t experience the same problems I had with my 3008.

If anyone is considering a CX-5, feel free to ping me a message with any questions and I'll do my best to answer it for you.

Take care!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well, last week I went ahead and did it.

I got rid of my lovely 2017 Peugeot 3008 GT Line and got a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav.

Now, I really liked the 3008 (note: not loved). The exterior looked great. The interior looked great. The technology seemed great. The software wasn’t (in my opinion). And the dealer support for a recent recall regarding the timing belt led to what became the final straw.

If you’ve got a cuppa to hand and fancy a read, this is the post for you…

As you may know from a previous post, shortly after getting the 3008 back in 2018, the head unit bricked after doing a software update (following all of Peugeot’s instructions). That left me without air conditioning, radio, navigation, or anything that involved the touch screen and took several weeks to sort out (including waiting for a 4ft barcode!). (New firmware/system version: 21.07.16.32).

Then I had several problems with warning lights coming on and the speed limiter failing when coming onto a motorway which pointed to an engine rebuild (Complete engine rebuild!).

I also needed to replace the two front tyres back in 2019 and was told by KwikFit that - after fitting them - their £150,000 tyre tracking machine couldn’t track the wheels because it wouldn’t let them enter the car’s details into the computer. The result was that Peugeot would have to do it instead - something to do with calibrating the wheels to the camera for lane keeping assist etc. The guy was gobsmacked - he’d never heard of such a thing (Complete engine rebuild!).

In the meantime I’ve just got on with the electrical/software issues that plagued me day-to-day: sluggish infotainment display, forward parking sensors which would kick in while stopped at traffic lights with nothing (car or person) in front of them, sudden ‘Brake!’ alerts on the digital dashboard for no apparent reason (nothing in front of me).

Then, in January this year there was a recall (JZR) to do with the timing chain which I covered in another post (3008 recall - software cannot talk to car!).

I notice I never updated that post, and the reason for this is because I concentrated of getting shut of this nightmare of a car. This is what happened…

First off, it took just over two months to sort and I dealt with three dealerships. And every one of them messed up the courtesy car I’d booked a couple of weeks earlier. Annoying, but not the final straw.

In my previous post I mention that the first dealership said their “systems are down” and I’d have to take it to another dealer who had the software to do the recall. The second dealership looked at it and I said:

Well, if I had held my breath I’d be dead. It took ages because of the courtesy car problems, each time it was cancelled I’d have to rebook.

Now, after being messed around for over a month, I decide to call my local dealer again to see if their systems are working again. And this is when I decided the car had to go.

They tell me that they no longer have computer systems which talk to Peugeot. They do sales, MOTs and services but will no longer handle anything relating to the cars computer systems.

Um, what? The problems the car has had have all had to be dealt with via the mythical ‘Peugeot computer’ - what am I supposed to do if something happens again? Like warning lights/speed limiter/head unit/tracking/anything else that involves software? “Take it to another dealer.”

Now it’s my turn to be gobsmacked. I get in touch with another dealer who has a computer system that talks to the Peugeot computer and I book it in to get the recall done. They mess up the courtesy car again but tell me I can still bring it in for the recall and wait while they check it, but if the recall needs to be carried out then I’d have to bring it back and leave it with them for a few days.

Well, I tell them I’ll hang around (which I do for an hour or so) and - thank goodness - it doesn’t need the recall to be carried out.

So, I get back to what I had planned to do last year (pre-Covid) and that was to get rid of the thing. I didn’t want to get another car which sounds like a pinball machine and with all the software issues that this has. I know there will always be a chance of some sort of problem, but the less tech, the less chance of software glitches.

After looking at all the similar sized SUVs I settled on the Mazda CX-5. I went for the 2018 version - the Sport Nav - just before they stuck a load more tech on such as adaptive radar cruise control and called it the Sport Nav+ (something I didn’t want after this experience).

I’ll be completely honest with you, it was a hard thing to do. The CX-5 has a lovely interior with leather heated seats (and steering wheel) but compared to the 3008 it doesn’t envelope you. I will really miss that. I loved the exterior of the 3008, lots of nice chrome detailing which the CX-5 has less of. Driving the CX-5 has (so far!) been a pleasurable experience, I love the command dial below the gear lever (which controls the infotainment screen) and having actual physical climate controls is a godsend.

Time will tell if the CX-5 and I get on, but after several failed ‘relationships’ with French cars - Peugeot and three Renaults (why did it take so many to realise?!) - I hope we’ll get on better.

For anyone who may want to know what I consider the pros and cons between the CX-5 Sport Nav (2018) and the Peugeot 3008 GT Line (2017), here they are:

CX-5 Pros
  • Heads-up display (this is great and shows speed, speed limits and navigation directions)
  • Analogue speedo/rev counter (weirdly, I sort of like the old school feel of them?!)
  • Heated seats and heated steering wheel
  • Physical climate controls
  • Infotainment commander dial
  • Apple CarPlay is really fast loading
  • Lovely, really smooth manual gear changes
  • Electric tailgate
  • Bose sound system
  • Can fit roof rails if I want them
  • Rain sensing wipers actually work (can also change sensitivity)

CX-5 Cons
  • Boot is a touch smaller than the 3008 (505L)
  • Less underfloor storage than 3008
  • No turbo (naturally aspirated 2.0L, meaning you need to work the engine a bit more, for example if you want to pull away fast)
  • Less tech than the 3008 (which is what I wanted)
  • Reserve parking camera quality poor
  • Not many at the moment as I’ve only had it a week!

3008 Pros
  • Luxurious interior
  • Lovely exterior
  • Digital dashboard (loved the navigation directions for getting in lane on a motorway)
  • Really comfy seats
  • Lovely steering wheel (really miss that)
  • Loads of space in the boot (inc underneath for storage)
  • 1.2L Turbo (quick off the mark)

3008 Cons
  • Slow, sluggish infotainment
  • Apple CarPlay takes ages to appear on the screen and sometimes becomes unavailable
  • Climate controls adjustable on touchscreen (I found this too distracting)
  • Clunky manual gearbox
  • Car jerks when changing from 1st to 2nd (never got the balance right)
  • Dealer support for software is worrying
  • Rain sensitive wipers needed a lot of rain to work so usually overrode them manually
  • Dealer said my 2017 model couldn’t have roof rails fitted

As I say, I’m sure I’ll find more cons/annoyances with the CX-5 as time goes by, and some of the features (such as heated seats) may be available on higher/newer specs of 3008.

So, I’m afraid this is my farewell to the Peugeot forums. Its been great to be part of a group which has been so helpful with advice for a range of peoples questions and I hope that you don’t experience the same problems I had with my 3008.

If anyone is considering a CX-5, feel free to ping me a message with any questions and I'll do my best to answer it for you.

Take care!
Best decision you ever made no doubt.
My car has spent nearly 3 months with the dealer. Most of which I had no courtesy car for. And that was within about 6 or 7 months from new. Long story covered in my many ranting threads.

Still isn't fixed and has developed a new issue. It goes back to Peugeot later this week. Hopefully for good. I'll be going to Volvo or might even get a Dacia (significantly more reliable and a third the price of my 3008 hybrid4 300GT) in all probability unless there's a really no way out. But I think at this point I'll die fighting. Not short of money for legal fees. I'll be having websites and social media campaigns. I can even write Twitter bots in 'R'. Hence if they want to fight me, so be it. I'm confident. Have all the documented evidence.

Shouldn't come to this for ANY consumer of anything. But Peugeot's customer care is worse than the Shenzen Fairy Light company. Their incompetence being comparable to a village idiot that's just come out of a Crack house.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts