Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i am trying to find some information as to why the key will not turn in the ignition. The key can be removed and re-inserted but it will not turn, therefore it cannot swing the starter motor.

The car is a 307 SW (2003 model), since we bought the car in 2009 we have only had one key. So we know it is the right key:)

Up until the car stopped, in traffic, we had no issues with the key or the ignition. We did replace the battery in the key fob about a week ago.

We have had issues with the clutch and were planning to have this replaced in the next 4 weeks but it seems to have failed completely now as my tells me she had to switch the car off to select first! It was at this point the ignition refused to turn on again we had to get a breakdown out to get the car out of the traffic.

So my question, would the ignition lock itself if the clutch has had a catastrophic failure?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I've never known a car to stop the key turning unless it was either the wrong key, the key was badly worn or the barrel was faulty. I've had cars that allowed the key to turn but wouldn't engage the starter if the car was in gear and the clutch wasn't depressed. I'd be inclined to guess at a faulty ignition barrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peugeot SA's diagnosis

Hi Storeman, thank you for the response.
Peugeot SA looked at the car and claim the key failed, they say they got it to work but it is going to take 2 weeks to get a new key.
As i need a new clutch i gave them the go ahead and fix the car.

I have since heard from a friend who knows someone else....that they had a similar issue with their Peugeot and it turned out to be a blown fuse.

I am not sure what was actually wrong as i never got to see the car, therefore i must accept peugeots diagnosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts