Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 53 plate 307 HDi. i got into it yesterday and moved it about 40-50 ft to my house to wait for thr family to come out. i stopped the car and put down the windows (front and rear) to let the heat out, went to start it again and NOTHING !!!

I have ignition lights and interior lights but when I turn the key NOTHING !! In the display, it says "Economy Mode Active". I've read various posts and tried things like:

- tried my second key as it might be a fault in the chip on my main key
- disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes for it to hopefully reset itself
- removed the Shunt fuse for a couple of minutes

Still nothing and the display reads the same. I can't get anyone to look at it until early next week so wondered if anyone had any ideas of something I could try in the mean time.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly accepted

·
Registered
862 Posts
spikeybloke said:
I have a 53 plate 307 HDi. i got into it yesterday and moved it about 40-50 ft to my house to wait for thr family to come out. i stopped the car and put down the windows (front and rear) to let the heat out, went to start it again and NOTHING !!!

I have ignition lights and interior lights but when I turn the key NOTHING !! In the display, it says "Economy Mode Active". I've read various posts and tried things like:

- tried my second key as it might be a fault in the chip on my main key
- disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes for it to hopefully reset itself
- removed the Shunt fuse for a couple of minutes

Still nothing and the display reads the same. I can't get anyone to look at it until early next week so wondered if anyone had any ideas of something I could try in the mean time.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly accepted
your car will go into eco' mode if it doesnt see a charge voltage at the bsi (thats the central computer) does your battery light come on at all ?? if it does come on then go out in the normal way the bsi could be at fault, think its a dealer check job im affraid . :yikes:

·
Registered
862 Posts
spikeybloke said:
:eek: :eek:

I checked the levels... put in about 1 pint of oil and some water and it started

:eek: :eek:

I wish every pug problem was as easily and cheaply fixed,glad to hear your back on the road. Dont be a stranger to the forum.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry to be a skeptic here but economy mode usually comes on when the bcs senses low charge on the battery and conserves power to start the vehicle, thus never having a flat, but i don't believe the oil and water should have corrected the fault, turning all off for about 10minutes should fix it. With engine faults eg oil water the stop light and system emergency error light will light up, not the economy mode, so a fault in your case is an certainty.

·
Registered
862 Posts
johnc said:
Sorry to be a skeptic here but economy mode usually comes on when the bcs senses low charge on the battery and conserves power to start the vehicle, thus never having a flat, but i don't believe the oil and water should have corrected the fault, turning all off for about 10minutes should fix it. With engine faults eg oil water the stop light and system emergency error light will light up, not the economy mode, so a fault in your case is an certainty.

I think co-incidence was at work here would agree with you that there is a fault without doubt,hopefully we will be updated with his progress.:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I tried all that.

The car always starts fine with no lag or slowness when turning it over onna cold morning. I had been out in the car earlier in the day so that would have given it a bit of a charge.

I removed the battery and gave it a trickle charge for a few hours as everything I read pointed to a bettery fault. I then reconnetcted as it "should" reset itself.

I removed the Shunt Fuse for a few minutes and tried again. (recommended on a site).

I removed all connections in and around the ECU and made sure they were clean. (recommended on a site)

Everything I read stated it "should" be a charging/low charge issue.

I put the same plea for help on peugeotcentral.co.uk, on a post titled - Economy Mode Active - Car won't start, and a user suggested I check the levels. The wife was on a forum the day before and she read about low levels and I ignored her... had to eat huge amounts of humble pie afterwards though.

The oil was between the lower mark and the next one up, I put in around 1pt which put it around the middle. The water was only just above the lower level so I topped that up a bit, first try and the engine turned which had never happened before.

Previously it was like the immobiliser was activated.

Its a real strange one as it goes against everything that I read, and obviously what "should" have happened.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The wife was on a forum the day before and she read about low levels and I ignored her... had to eat huge amounts of humble pie afterwards though.
You will be reminded of this for ever. Strange one as you say but if it works then who am i argue,as i said if every fix was as easy end cheap. thanks for the update,dont be a stranger to the forum. :thumb:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I take back all I said previously, the wife was right it was the levels, Economy mode refers not just to battery charge but also in french terms saving the engine from a malfunction. The malfunction indicator operates whilst the engine is on and an error is detected. However if the engine is off then the economy mode display will appear, as peugeot engineers see it that if the fluid levels are low the unsuspecting person will still ignore all warnings and try to travel without topping them up. So the engineers had decided to allow the computer to prevent the engine from operating should the fluid issue be completely ignored. But in some cases the computer will function from a faulty sensor in the reserves etc.

SORRY !!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nothing to appologise for mate we are all here to learn new ways of fixing old problems,sometimes the most obvious is the best way :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good news

I had the car checked by an auto electrician thinking there might be a further problem with it, needless to say he found nothing wrong.

i've been worried it might happen again but this is real good news... thanks for posting this :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just discovered many french flair characteristics with my 307hdi so to be honest I used to design bcu on a small scale process and how the french do it I would have done it myself, but that's me... Also be careful if you ever remove the fusebox wiring plugs because as I have learnt if you remove the white/ grey plugs out the same time the car will lock you out and would need to be towed to the dealer, but in my case I called the dealer first and he told me which ones to unplug to find the interior lights but he told me incorrectly, so he also told me how to get back to the car without needing a tow truck, unfortunately it involves a code on the stereo which is unique to each car and surprise surprise it is the keyhead immobilzer code which only Psa have and the dealers with a password can get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem with my 206cc, went to start car, engine turning but wouldn't fire up. LCD displays ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE
Checked all fuses, connections and even reset the bsi unit - still wouldn't start

Filled the car with Oil & Water - turned key and started 1st time

Wish I had read this thread 5 hours ago !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have just found this thread. I have recently bought an 07 plate 207. All has been fine since I got car, then after 2 months it started to flash faulty key plip fob on dash when starting car. I have two keys so I replaced batteries in both fobs and reset the keys using what I found on Google. That problem was solved, 2 weeks later went to start car and turned key all ignition lights came on but when I turned key it dos nothing. I had to go out so abandoned car and got taxi. When I got home few hours later it started fine. I've had this more and more recently and thought maybe starter motor had gone. It's supposed to be going to garage this morning but when I tried to start it it now says economy mode on dash and the battery light is flashing. Please help!! Is it starter motor or a battery fault and what can I do to start it to get it to garage?? This is my first car and I have no clue about mechanics xx

·
Registered
59 Posts
It could be your starter or starter selonid
You could run a wire from the live terminal on the battery to the starter, find the ignition wire ( it will be the smallest terminal) and touch it with the other end of the wire, or use a multi meter to test if you or getting voltage at the starter when someone turns the key

·
Registered
364 Posts
You would be better starting a new thread on the 207 part of the forum as 207's can suffer electrical problems in the engine bay which are specific to the 207. I personally wouldn't run wires to anything as you may just make the problem a lot worse and cause injury to yourself. The eco mode is perfectly normal if the ignition has been on for a while and will clear when the engine starts.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Why have you added to a old thread? It makes no sense. Just report your own fauls as found and we can go from there. More info on the car details would help as in year, model and engine!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts