Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the thin end of the wedge for diesels it starts with city centres and expanded out to towns. I think they should get the worst polluting lorry's and vans of the road, how many times have you been stuck behind one almost choking on the fumes.

· Registered
64 Posts
I believe the UK policy affects only pre-2005 vintage vehicles, which are the ones that do not have adequate exhaust filtering/cc. The reason is that it the county councils cannot afford to force replacement of every vehicle or bus. So any diesel 2006 and after should be okay and exempt. Lots of people forget that Euro 6 diesels are less polluting than most petrol cars of similar size engine.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
That will be as welcome as a Corgie poo at the Queens Garden Party. I do wish these people would lead by example. Instead, they drive around short distances of London in their big tax exempt 3L diesel and 5L petrol Jag XJ's. Bloody hypocrites.

· Registered
15,373 Posts
People think older cars are more polluting but i have a few clio DCIs and apart from being way more reliable than modern engines they also use way less fuel.

Modern engines use MORE fuel now than they did 10 years ago so they must make more pollution yea in theory DPFs etc reduce that but as with VW etc do you actually believe that i dont.

My clio does 72 mpg on a run have seen 85 mpg !! i doubt many modern cars get near that it averages 65 mpg day to day use again very good so if its using less fuel it MUST be polluting less so why bin it for something modern thats more trouble and uses more fuel ??

· Registered
1,143 Posts
I suppose something like this would be the only way to kill off my 306 GRD ?
Also I reed in my paper that cars over 20 years old have to have special permits to drive into Paris and other French cities,so that will be a no go for my classic Mercedes SL.
It wont be long before everyone will be forced to drive boring little eco friendly run arounds.

· Registered
442 Posts
People think older cars are more polluting but i have a few clio DCIs and apart from being way more reliable than modern engines they also use way less fuel.

Modern engines use MORE fuel now than they did 10 years ago so they must make more pollution yea in theory DPFs etc reduce that but as with VW etc do you actually believe that i dont.

My clio does 72 mpg on a run have seen 85 mpg !! i doubt many modern cars get near that it averages 65 mpg day to day use again very good so if its using less fuel it MUST be polluting less so why bin it for something modern thats more trouble and uses more fuel ??
There are multiple different pollutants and often one goes up when one does something to lower another.
The main two at issue are CO2 which pretty much is proportional to fuel consumption. The other main one is actually a group, various nitrous oxides (NOx), which usually go up as you try to run the engine leaner / harder.
Then there's particulates.
AFAIUI, NOx is the worse of the two around people/in cities, along with particles.

NOx was the main issue for VW, and many who've had their VWs 'fixed' now complain over increased fuel consumption and less power available...

· Registered
15,373 Posts
And that leads us to the other point WHY do we need diesels that make more power than petrol engines !

The fact is we dont but they are forced upon us by the manufacturers and the end result is LESS fuel efficiency.

My old 405 done 55 mpg average all day long and more on a run yet a 407 can only seem to manage 45 at best some seem to get much less ! my old petrol engined espace with a 3 litre engine can do better MPG than some modern diesels.

Modern diesels are like the compact disc we were sold it under the pretence it was wonderful but in reality its simply not

· Registered
1,805 Posts

I second that, my 1.5dci Megane uses much less fuel than my missus 1.4l Fiesta. My mpg around town hovers at 42mpg, and I've seen 1.2 and 1.4l petrol engines at less than 30mpg around town.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.