Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1999 Peugeot 406 1.8 GL. The problem i'm experiencing is poor idling at traffic lights, waiting in traffic etc. Engine starts to die but then picks up. Do not seem to be any problems when driving. Can anybody help please??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tried changing the fuel filter? If it is having problems sucking fuel through a blocked filter, it will be noticable at low revs.
May as well treat it to a new air filter too :)

Will improve things if not cure the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Something else - related to my problem.

Try unplugging the O2 sensor on the exhaust. If it continues to run with exactly the same fault - likely it is broken.
Mine is doing this, so going to fit a new sensor. Check your MPG - mine is down to 10 M/ L !!!! :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The likelihood is the ICV, Idle Control Valve. They're approx £25 from GSF or similar or £30 new from Peugeot.

It might be worth getting a multimeter on the battery and reading the voltage to ensure the alternator is charging the battery and the battery is holding it. With these engines the load on the steering can cause the engine to almost stall if the battery/alternator isn't 100%. But as I said it may just be the ICV - also known as the stepper motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've also got idling problems on a 10 year old 106 - intermittently the engine revs up then drops like a boy racer at traffic lights - all without going anywhere near the accelerator. Continues even when driving which is making it almost impossible to drive at low speeds. There's also a sound like gurgling / trickling liquid coming from the engine in what sounds like just in front of the steering wheel.

Along with my 307 problem (separate thread) this is not turning out to be a good week for me and my peugeots :(

ICV? Filter? Both? Something else? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts