Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, as the title says, I went to Kwik-Fit and now my 307 is ruined. I went to change both front wheel bearings as I thought these were at fault.

They quoted me £256 for the pair. I went ahead, ONLY because I couldnt get my car to any other garage in a weekday and no mobile mechanics want to talk to me for some reason.

So 5 hours later, they give me the car back. As soon as I leave the carpark, my ABS light comes on as well as the traction control display. The brake pedal feels extremely spongey like Ive got no brake fluid. I immediately return and explain the problems. 20 minutes later, they say maybe a sensor has been crushed and I have to take it back in tomorrow. I ask if its safe to drive home, they say yes but beware I wont have ABS.

The drive home was probably the most scarey thing Ive ever done, the steering had a mind of its own, the steering wheel was completely off-centre (turned to 9 o'clock to go straight) and the brakes didnt improve.

Yeah, I wont be going there again, after they've fixed it, but what the hell have they done to it?!??! Additonally, there are now more noises from the front than before, a loud clunk as i drive off.

Ive missed seeing friends and my work christmas party for this... and Im down on that money and cant even go out tonight because of how sketchy the drive feels!!!! :'( :mad:

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
ABS and traction control use the same sensor so most likely they have damaged something

Soft pedal sounds like something is still loose possibly a hub nut

Steering should not have altered any doing the bearings DO NOT let them fix it by moving the steering wheel round they must have had trackrod ends off

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... they say they do an alignment adjust as part of bearing replace as they have it apart so much. Im hoping they fix it tomorrow. The brakes, i dont get. just bee outside with engine running, the brake pedal depresses almost all the way and makes a whooshing noise. no pumping back to the normal level... :S

D

·
0 Posts
It amazes me how some people can get to work on cars. Why were you changing wheel bearings, they give no trouble on the 307. Rear fair enough but not front.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had/have bearing noise.. The offside front wheel felt loose, it steered to one side... some of which i think are now cured but its difficult to tell when you steer left to right to stay in a straight line... im going back there now...!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
God only knows what's happened but a replaced bearing done correctly shouldn't cause that much trouble especially steering wander, hopefully they will sort it, perhaps they didn't tighten everything properly and wanted to get the car back to you?
I worked in a few garages and did a stint in Ats.... I know..... But the manager there was an ex quick fit tech and he said their policy was to take off anything that was atleast partly worn and show it to you that way they got you to change them rather than going elsewhere but I'm not sure if that's true. I haven't been to them ever tbh .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, all sorted now. no steering wander, no noises and brakes that work as well as before. they say the sensor on one side is mounted different from the other so it confused them. god knows on the other list of problems they created! They said a trackrod end ball joint was possibly loose.. but i had that replaced over a month ago..!

Wont go there again but happy that they sorted the problem/s!

D

·
0 Posts
Right, all sorted now. no steering wander, no noises and brakes that work as well as before. they say the sensor on one side is mounted different from the other so it confused them. god knows on the other list of problems they created! They said a trackrod end ball joint was possibly loose.. but i had that replaced over a month ago..!

Wont go there again but happy that they sorted the problem/s!
The trackrod end was probably all that was wrong with your car first day. It'll have needed tracking after fitting a new one is all.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can tell you now, they do not touch any steering geometry to do that wheel bearing. All they would remove would be your tyre, brake caliper, brake pads, discs and the hub. They may have to undo the track rod end, but not adjust it. Just another way for Kwik Fit to get more money out of people.

Working in a reliable trustworthy garage, we see so many people come from Kwik Fit who have had loads of work done and then we need to repair that. We had one person come in who had had a service and then been quoted a load for some more work. Yes, some of that work needed doing, but the price for doing it all was madness. Kwik Fit £1300 Us £400.

Complete joke.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My boss's cousin works in Kwik Fit as like a lead manager/area manager or something, and he was telling my boss that they do training to teach technicians how to exploit more work out of people.

C

·
0 Posts
National tyres aint much better they tried to charge me £468.00 to supply and fit 2 lower ball joints and a battery on a 2005 407 hdi. I thought gosh I only want my car repaired not shares in the company :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
National tyres aint much better they tried to charge me £468.00 to supply and fit 2 lower ball joints and a battery on a 2005 407 hdi. I thought gosh I only want my car repaired not shares in the company :eek:
I agree with National Tyres, I had an MOT and got an advisory that the front pass tyre was low, I was driving a 600 mile trip that week so thought I'll get the tyre sorted, pulled in to see them, they looked all over it and said 3 new tyres were needed, £300...... I drove off forecourt, went to the tyre place a bit further away and they checked, one tyre was low, all others were fine.... £58.90 all done and in a matching brand.... I'll never look at National Tyres again, and as for Kwik Fit, never ever, they arent mechanics, they are just fitters, and some are poorly trained.... its just quite scary really lol :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts