Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Damaged my alloy on a high kerb in a multi storey carpark - hateful places. I've emailed a few repair places here in Dublin but considering the depth of the scuff and the fact that it's a two tone diamond alloy I'd say I'm looking at a new wheel
Any idea what that might cost? I wonder how long it would take my dealer to get one!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,909 Posts
That's tough luck and really sympathise with you.

Think your right to having to buy a new one.

I'm sure I read on a thread here they are about £200.

Lets hope it can be repaired for less.

Paul

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can get it repaired. Even if I can I'd be concerned that it might not match the other wheels or may age differently. The only online seller I could find was in the Czech Republic. According to this post they're actually a Peugeot dealership in Prague and the poster was happy with the alloy he bought . online reviews seemed positive too.

Anyway they're selling a set of 4 Detroit alloys for 774 euro so I'm assuming one would cost 193 + 20 euro shipping. I'll check the price with my dealer but I'd imagine they'd be considerably more expensive.

I had a look at their other 3008 stuff - would be interested I a seat back protector too (currently out of stock)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I started a thread a while ago about alloy wheel protectors because this is one of my fears. All the ones I have seen look cheap and nasty and probably wouldn't have prevented the damage you have on your wheel in any case.

If you search youtube for diamond cut alloy repairs you will find videos showing how it is done using mobile machines but I have no idea how much they charge.

My dealer offered me alloy wheel insurance but you can find similar cover elsewhere a lot cheaper. Might be worth considering for future mishaps but I suppose it depends how confident you are about being able to avoid kerbing the wheels and as with any insurance there is probably a catch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There nothink that work at protecting alloy wheel, all crap talk ,
i have used every product even imported other stuff, nothing ever works ,

all crap products, all you get is a coloured rim to tyre effect .

Your have to learn to park away from pavement edges .

Sorry

You can try fix your wheel with some ebay repair kits,,

But if you get them re furbished for around £50 a wheel.

I am sure there many mobile alloy wheel mobile repair men on gumtree.

Good luck ....

All my wheel are mashup just leave it happends to ofthen ....

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm so sorry about your alloy digitaldr. I was going to say that I can guess how you're feeling at the moment but in actual fact, I can totally relate to your disappointment. It makes you feel quite sick doesn't it?

I hope you can either get it repaired to your satisfaction or replace it with another wheel that doesn't cost you an arm or a leg. Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your sympathy Gill. At the end of the day it's only a wheel! I'm weighing up the pros and cons of repair vs replacement. From what I've read it's very hard to get lacquer to adhere properly to a repaired diamond cut alloy. This means that in 1-2 years moisture gets under the lacquer leading to white worm corrosion. Repair would be ballpark 110 euros versus about 200 euros for a new wheel.

Any word on when you're car's going to be ready?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I love these wheels but this is the only problem, my worst nightmare is scuffing them on stupid kerbs. My friend had similar wheels on his Nissan and he got a mobile guy to come out and fix them, think it only cost about £50 and it was like brand new when i next saw it. Had the car 2 years after that and it looked the same, i would try a repair first for sure.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi Digitaldr,

About 3 years ago I hit a pothole and buckled a wheel on my 508 GT with the 19 inch wheels. £549 from Peugeot to replace. Got compo from the council but if my experience is anything to go by, a repair is definitely going to be the better option financially. I've seen some very buggered wheels get repaired very well. Locally we have a company that charges around £70 a corner and does an excellent job I have to say.

Grumpy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for your sympathy Gill. At the end of the day it's only a wheel! I'm weighing up the pros and cons of repair vs replacement. From what I've read it's very hard to get lacquer to adhere properly to a repaired diamond cut alloy. This means that in 1-2 years moisture gets under the lacquer leading to white worm corrosion. Repair would be ballpark 110 euros versus about 200 euros for a new wheel.

I think we can all sympathize with you.
Thanks for posting the pictures, I thought the whole wheel was magnesium alloy.
If you look at the material under the green paint, it looks like a type of fiber.
I am sure you could fill that with fiberglass resin.
The paint shouldn't have a problem taking on that.
The magnesium on the spoke will need to be built up, which means they will need to apply heat to it.
Will the two materials stay together or separate when they weld the magnesium alloy?
Make a list of questions to ask the person who will repair the wheel & if possible find a few people who has had work done by him so that you can see what his workmanship looks like.

The advantage of having them repaired is when it come to painting the will colour match the paint & get it as close as possible to the current colour, where as if you buy a brand new one, It will be painted according to the colour code of your car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Alloy wheel insurance is not available in Ireland. The insurance industry here is completely f*cked up with huge premiums even for middle aged safe drivers like myself (bar the odd alloy scuff!). I have a few recommendations for wheel repairers here so will probably go down that road.

·
Registered
544 Posts

No nothing I'm afraid and my patience is starting to wear a bit thin tbh. I'm thinking about going to the garage tomorrow and talking to the boss as I don't feel that my phone calls are achieving anything. On Tuesday I was told about a week, Thursday it was 4-5 days and Saturday it was as soon as possible but when I asked if it was likely to be next week, I was told no.

I was a bit p****d off with the time we are having to wait for our deliveries but this is a disgrace and beyond a joke. All I've seen of the car is a few minutes look around when it was first delivered, I wanted to spend time with it on the day I should have picked it up but was discouraged from doing so, so I've not started the engine or driven it etc and I'm starting to feel really fed up about it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah don`t get too down Gill, i know it must be hard but just think when you do get it all the fun your gonna have. it won`t be long before you`ve put this behind you and your driving round with a massive smile on your face. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.