Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone of the lucky few with the GT line/GT made use of the amplify setting and what's it like with the engine sound coming through the speakers?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Has anyone of the lucky few with the GT line/GT made use of the amplify setting and what's it like with the engine sound coming through the speakers?
I have put mine in sport mode and not noticed any engine sounds coming through the speakers.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I think I recall reading that on some trim levels you could have a synthesised engine tone through the audio system in synch with the engine revs, makes it seem like you're hearing the kind of car sounds you get a lot on Top Gear / Grand Tour when they play with the expensive toys..

Perhaps that is what the OP is asking about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah that's a shame on 1 of the you tube reviews the driver says the 1.2 has a lovely engine note and was hoping that was what was replicated through the speakers

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's mentioned in the Prices Equipment and Technical Specifications under i-Cockpit Amplify :-
New PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® Amplify: (Standard on GT Line and GT versions)
• Sound: Amplification of engine sound (through speakers) to stimulate the experience onboard.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have just tried i-Cockpit Amplify in dynamic mode whilst stationary and the engine note definitely sounds more sporty, but as far as I can tell the sound is not coming from the car speakers. I even switched the radio off and the engine volume remained the same. I am not sure whether there is another setting somewhere because I don’t think the sound I heard will be sufficiently load to hear when driving on the road.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have just tried i-Cockpit Amplify in dynamic mode whilst stationary and the engine note definitely sounds more sporty, but as far as I can tell the sound is not coming from the car speakers. I even switched the radio off and the engine volume remained the same. I am not sure whether there is another setting somewhere because I don’t think the sound I heard will be sufficiently load to hear when driving on the road.
Intriguing..... thanks for doing this Chris.
From the Prices, Equipment & Technical Specifications Peugeot say it comes from the speakers but you have heard that not to be the case.
It would be interesting to find out where this 'amplified' sound is coming from.
I'm doing a bit of digging:-
There is this from Peugeot where they say "engine sound amplified with a sporty note (via a digital amplifier which enhances the sound in the cabin);".
Now clearly that has no mention of it coming from the speakers, yet on their specifications page they do. :confused:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I know some cars with this feature use a completely separate small speaker mounted somewhere in or under the dashboard area. So, the 3008 may not use the stereo's speakers at all.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I haven’t seen that article before Mike so thanks, but yes, my impression is there must be a separate amplifier and speaker somewhere. As I say, I don’t foresee being able to hear the enhanced engine noise when driving but perhaps the sound level increases as speed increases. I’ll try it out next time I have a drive but that probably won’t be today. Any more information you can find will be appreciated.

I must admit I’m finding navigating the different system and personal settings rather frustrating and I think I tried every combination (by trial and error) to find the amplify settings this morning. It will obviously come with practice but in the meantime I’m going to make some crib sheets to guide me through the various menus.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've tried the sports mode on mine and I did get a louder engine sound coming through the speakers. Not much but definitely there.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
A bit more to add is Peugeot first used this in their concept 'Fractal' car back in 2015.
The fake engine noise is now found in the 308 where I have come across a few YouTube videos showing the i-Cockpit Amplify instrumentation with the revs moving and fake engine noises being sent to the cabin.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was bemused by this at first but it definitely does amplify the engine sound, try accelerating while watching the rev counter in normal manual mode to say 2000 rpm, now try it in sport mode, again in manual mode to the same revs. Engine sounds a lot louder with more of a growl to it.

·
Administrator
2,909 Posts
I have put mine in sport mode and not noticed any engine sounds coming through the speakers.
Just been reading the cars destruction manual. Apparently you push the sports button for sport mode with gives no enhanced engine sound, but if you push the sport button, hold it there for 2 seconds the light comes on and your in Dynamic sport, which activates the engine amplifier.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just been reading the cars destruction manual. Apparently you push the sports button for sport mode with gives no enhanced engine sound, but if you push the sport button, hold it there for 2 seconds the light comes on and your in Dynamic sport, which activates the engine amplifier.
I'll try that tomorrow Beau. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Paul, sorry to ask but what page is that on?
I can find in the Handbook on page 217 where it mentions:- "Press and hold this button until the instrument panel colour changes (red); the indicator lamp in the button comes on".
What I cant seem to find is anything relating to 2 seconds.

·
Administrator
2,909 Posts
Paul, sorry to ask but what page is that on?
I can find in the Handbook on page 217 where it mentions:- "Press and hold this button until the instrument panel colour changes (red); the indicator lamp in the button comes on".
What I cant seem to find is anything relating to 2 seconds.
Sorry Mike, you are right, it says press and hold...I'm assuming for 2 seconds or so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.