Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've a V-reg 206 1.1.

It's still suffering from the engine-racing problem mentioned in a different thread, which the garage think may be caused by interference from the coil pack. This seems to be the default "we don't know what's gone wrong" diagnosis for the 206.

Since I'm now unemployed I'm looking to reduce costs, so wouldn't mind having a stab at the coil pack replacement myself, though I've never done one before.

Does anyone know if it's a tricky job? Skills-wise I would classify myself as competent but ignorant. I suppose I would have to spring for a Haines manual unless there's an online source ...

Thanks for any advice,

Martin.

G

·
It's easy. Unplug the connector on the end, undo the bolts, and gentle wiggle it upwards. I don't remember it they're normal hex bolts, or Torx though. Hex I think but not 100% on that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta

Thanks, Chopper. That sounds promising. One reeeallly stupid question: when they talk about the "coil pack" is this just the distributor? (+ leads & spark plugs etc). The last one I worked on was a 1981 Landrover, and in that world a spade is just a spade. If you're lucky. Actually, it's more likely to be a bent piece of rusty metal to which you have to attach your own handle, but that's a different rant....

G

·
It doesn't have a distributor. Each cylinder has it's own individual coil, with all 4 phyisically built into a single 'pack', and the cars ECU tells the ignition system when it's time to send voltage to each individual coil, so it's all taken care of electronically. When it's working it's a very efficient set up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I put a reply in the other thread. Check out the coolant temp sensor before replacing the coil pack.
You said yourself the dealer seemed to be giving the default we don't know answer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, both. I guess that's me getting a Haines manual, then!

Anyone propose a cheap source of good coils? I read on another forum that it's best to avoid Sagem.

Cheers!

Martin.

G

·
There are 2 makes of coil, but they're not cross compatible without some modifications, as they demand differing voltages to activate them. They may work, but unlikely for long so you'll need to use the same as what comes off.

It's worth bearing with Roy, as it could be something else. If you can get the pin out for your coil pack you can test it yourself with a multimeter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers, both.

Good point. Temp sensor sounds much less expensive. I'm snooping around for a workshop manual on ebay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.