Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to Align the Camshaft if My Timing Belt Broke? 2005 16v 307

Hey all,
Tensioner went off and not sure how to set the timing belt..
If the old belt was on I'd be able sort it by marking and replacing it.. trying to get the cams right on top, have the whole new timing belt kit and water pump.. it's just setting

I know how to set how to set the timing from a start that the belt was broke and there is no marks, have to get cams right on top, inlet and outlet. valces tru piston.

Where do ya set it could set the cams on top?

Patrick

·
Registered
453 Posts
Simply put, you need to align the holes in the cam pulleys and lock in place using I think an 8mm and a 10mm bolt to do so, however if the belt snapped while the engine was running :eek: then not wanting to sound dumb but the head wll need to come off to replace the bent valves just in case you didn't realise.
Really the best piece of advice is buy a "Haynes manual" all the info is in there and good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simply put, you need to align the holes in the cam pulleys and lock in place using I think an 8mm and a 10mm bolt to do so, however if the belt snapped while the engine was running :eek: then not wanting to sound dumb but the head wll need to come off to replace the bent valves just in case you didn't realise.
Really the best piece of advice is buy a "Haynes manual" all the info is in there and good luck

Yeah thought so, before taking off the head I want to check the valves, I'll know by turning it by hand.

I asked someone online to check Haynes manual to see if it will show how, he said it didn't he had up to 2004 manual. I'll order 2005 + manual online and give it a go.

Thank You :thumb:

·
Registered
453 Posts
checked my haynes manual 1.4 16v inlet pin size is 5mm and located at 5 o'clock, exhaust ls 8mm and located at 7 o'clock, 1.6 16v is inlet pin size not sure 8mm ?? and located at 7 o'clock and exhaust is also 8mm located at 7-8 o'clock
hope this helps
my manual is 2001 to 2008

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Think you are asking that age old question is it a safe engine

My answer is there are no SAFE engines simply some very lucky engines :)

If belt has failed the valves WILL be bent makes no difference whether you were cranking it or doing 100mph if it goes out of time the valves hit the pistons.

Timing is indeed by pins there are no marks you simply pin cams and crank

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Yes but not ALWAYS :)

I have had 16 valve HDI engines throw belts and not even kiss a valve this is a lucky engine I have also seen the same engines destroy themselves.

Sometimes we are lucky but we are never safe :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts