Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a problem with my windows slider that it would become slightly missaligned and window would jam when going up which would result in anti-pinch system reacting and retracting the window down.

So i decided to fix this myself but it turned out that the plastic clip thing on it was worn and whole window mech needs to be replaced. I got a replacement from breakers on ebay for 20EUR and got cracking. :) In addition i decided to replace the glass itself as it has been heavily scratched by previous owner. This guide will lead you step by step to completing this.

Tools needed:
- Peugeot 407 (does not apply to Coupe)
- Torx 15 and 25
- Electric drill
- Drill bits for metal 3mm and 5mm
- Drill bit spade 10mm
- 2x Nut and bolt, not longer than 15mm
- Spanner 8mm for the bolts and nuts
- Saw and a bit of epoxy glue
- 2x Piano tuning wedge (or any other wedge piece of rubber)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 1.

- Lower the window to about 3/4 of a way down.
- Undo the bolts circled in red x2. (Torx 15) (Pic 1)
- Pop off the plastic trim with window switch, jam screwdriver where arrows point. (Pic 2)
- Disconnect the window switch.
- Pop off the plastic bit in the thingy for holding hand.
- Undo the bolts inside of hand holding thingy circled in red x2. (Torx 25) (Pic 3)
- Pop off the door card trim carefully not to snap the light cable.
- Disconnect the light cable in the bottom of door card trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Step 2.

- Wedge the glass with the piano tuning wedges so it doesnt go anywhere. (Pic 4)
- Peel the large white dampening foam covering the mechanical slider from bottom to up, taking care that it doesnt tear, flip it up.
- Undo the windows bolts circled in red x2. (Torx 25) (Pic 5)

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 3. (Optional)

If you want to only replace the window mech (sliding mechanism) skip this step. If you want to only replace the glass, this step is the last one and to reassemble everything just go in reverse order from this step.

- Carefully pull up the glass 3-4cm and wedge it with rubber wedges
- Remove the plastic clips on the window thru which the torx screws went thru, might be black or white. x2
- Very carefully now pull up the glass and slightly rotate it counter-clockwise to pull it out of the door frame

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Step 4.

- Remove the window motor electrical cables starting with the smallest one. (Pic 6)
- To remove two larger cables pull the small black lever on them to pop them out. (Pic 6)
- Undo window motor screws x3. (Torx 25) (Pic 6)
- Pull out the motor straight out

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Step 5.

(Sorry about delay, gf jumped me about going to some crazy climate muesum :confused: )

Removing the windows mech. This is a bit tricky part. and one of the plastic bits on the winding mechanism where window motor connects has to be cut off so the mechanism can go out, this is due to window sliding channel being located behind it so it cannot go out at all. Also you will have to drill out the rivets holding the windows mech.

- Start drilling out the top rivet using the smaller drill bit. (Pic 7)
- Be careful not to punch the hole thru the other side of the door, so no insane pressing down on the drill to go faster. Take your time.
- Also take care not to damage the door lock cable in front of rivet.
- At one point the rivet might start spinning, at that point, you can either hold it down with pliers and drill it thru, or let it cool down and push it out once its cool.
- Repeat for the lower rivet. (Pic 8)
- Once rivets are removed, make sure no fragments are left in bottom of the door.
- Slide the top part of the mech to the left as arrow shows. (Pic 7)
- Slide the bottom part of the mech upwards as arrow shows. (Pic 8)
- Now pressing the mech inwards should realease it from the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Step 6.

Removing the old sliding mechanism wheel part is a somewhat tricky in nature. There are 3 cylindrical shaped bits that stick thru the door and where the screws go to mount the engine. The topmost left part is exactly in front of the sliding channel for the glass, so pushing it inside to remove it is impossible. So i decided to save myself time and just remove the plastic bit in order to remove the whole mech without taking out the small window and the sliding channel.

There might be a better way to do this, but it was already late and cold and i couldnt figure any other way to do it.

- Take the spade drill bit, 10mm wide. (Pic 9)
- Drill down the plastic bit down to half of its length. (Pic 10)
- Take pliers and press the clips on the side of the plastic bits x3.
- Push into the arrow direction each of the plastic bits x3. (Pic 10)
- Now the part of mech with window should have went right into the door space.
- Twist the long metal part of the mech by 30 degrees clockwise until you can wiggle the lower part free and start pulling it out.
- You might have to twist the cables a bit with your second hand to give you enough space to wiggle everything out.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Step 7.

Replacing the new door mech will require us to hack off the same plastic bit as in previous step. I did it very carefully with a precision saw and i saved the bit, so after mounting the mech i glued it back on with a bit of epoxy.

- Cut off the top left plastic bit on the new mech approx at half length.
- Save the hacked off piece to glue it back on after mounthing.
- To mount new mech first push into the part with the cables and wheel.
- Continue untill you can push in the top part of the metalic slider.
- Push into the bottom part of the slider too.
- Once you have mech in the position first clip into the place the wheel part and 3 plastic clip bits.
- Push in lower part of slider into its place and slide it down. (Pic 13)
- Push in upper part of the slider and slide it right until everyting is locked into place. (Pic 12)
- Mix a bit of epoxy and put it onto the hacked off bit.
- Glue the bit back on and fix it into position with its Torx 25 screw. (Pic 11)
- Fix the mech to the door using the nuts and bolts, so that head is inside of the door, and nut is on the outside as in not to interfrere with operation of the slider. (Pic 12 and 13)

Dont worry, the plastic bit we hacked off will hold even if the glue isnt that strong, the screw goes thru it and catches the other part too, so the screw will keep everything in place, i just think its good to have it there due to spacing and everything.

To reassemble rest of the door, follow the manual in reverse starting with step 6.

Good luck. :)

Also, dont mean to be a dic*, but just in case later on anyone tries to charge me or anyone else for my own work or earn money from it by locking it up:

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

;)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.