Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short guide on how to remove and replace front bumper on Peugeot 407.

Tools required:
- Peugeot 407 (doesnt apply to coupe :p )
- Torx T15
- Torx T27
- Hex bit 12mm
- Metal bbq skewer
- Soft large cloth or blanket (to be placed under bumper to avoid scratching)

Step 1.
- Open the cars hood.
- Undo 2 large torx bolts (1) left/right from the peugeot sign.
- Undo 3 large hex bolts (2) on top of the radiator.

- Remove the license plate and its holder
- Undo the large hex bolt (1) thru the hole under the license plate.
- Undo 2 large bolts (2) holding the front engine undershield (they are on each end of undershield, inside of the large groove, behind the bumper)

Step 2.
- Turn the wheels all the way right.
- Undo the torx bolt (1) holding the front left mudguard in the left wheel arch behind the bumper
- Undo 3 torx bolts (2) beneath the bumper, on the left side
- Undo 2 plastic clips (3) in the wheel arch, one right above the left wheel, second behind the left wheel.
- Remove the left front part of the mudguard.
- Turn the wheels all the way left, repeat same for right mudguard.

Step 3.
- Take the bbq skewer and bend the pointy end, about 3cm long, 100 degrees
- Stick the bbq skewer between the left wing and reach for the white clip, stick the bent part thru the clip loop.
- Pull on the bbq skewer and rotate 90 degrees ccw.
- Do the same for the clip under the right wing.

Step 4.
- Now slowly proceede to unlatch the bumper on the left/right side from the bumper bracket.
- Once unlatched, pull the bumper forward, off of the car, and place it down on the soft padding to avoid damage.

To reinstall new bumper, or the same one, proceede in reverse. If you are changing the bumper, make sure you take off all of the usable parts like absorbers, supports, h/l washers, grille, bumper trim and fog lights.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe, but yeah, good point. They get rusty after 2 days of no driving, is that normal? I know they are a bit worn, but i dont know whats the limit for changing. It still brakes very well. Also what about those brake pad sensors, do they sound once brake pads are worn, or when disc is worn, or either, how does that actually work?

J

·
0 Posts
I believe the sensors should bring up a fault on the dash once the pads are down to that level - must make contact with the metal of the disc and create the circuit (I think :D)

Discs do have a slight rusty tinge to them if left for a few days and it rains on them... if its dry, or garaged, I wouldn't expect anything on them (mine can stay clean for days if it doesn't rain).

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Discs do have a slight rusty tinge to them if left for a few days and it rains on them... if its dry, or garaged, I wouldn't expect anything on them (mine can stay clean for days if it doesn't rain).
I see, then i should be good. they were really wet from the melted snow and salt on the roads, so i guess thats why they got rusty. usualy they arent :)

sterion thats my better half. :D now i will leave you with that ambiguous answer. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi cabinpac.

You dont need to undo those bolts. They hold the bumper bracket onto the chassis/wing. All you need to do is duno the clips and pull out the bumper sides to release it.

But, if you really want to remove the bumper bracket, the bolts are accesed from beneath the bumper, they are hex scews, not sure which size. So you would have to first remove the front mudguard and get under the wing to remove those, theres i think 3-4 of those.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I printed off a bumper removal guide from service box and it says remove these but as you have obviously removed the bumper without removing these bolts then it should make it easier as I am still waiting for a half decent day to change my grille

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see. Maybe they remove the bolts and the bumper bracket so its easier for them. It was pretty much not an option for me since i dont have a car lift and they are really difficult to get to. :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi battlestar
I must correct you on your bumper removal when you say applies to coupe aswell,as i tried to remove the bumper today and you have to remove 2 bolts in front of the white clips plus their is no bolt behind the number plate and what eventually defeated me is their are 4 white clips on the coupe ,2 are the same as the saloon but 2 are higher up and just could not get to them ,it was all i needed to do to release the bumper:(

number 10 and 12

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see. Im not sure how they get to those clips, does servicebox mention anything about it? I've corrected the guide to says it doesnt apply to coupe :nono:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No nothing on service box,you can barely see them down from the wheel but it is so hard to hook pull and turn,the saloon seems so much easier i think i might have to have the garage do it:(

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Those 2 clips are right up under the headlights,maybe pugs little tool can reach their but i couldnt no matter how i bent the wire .I was able to hook it but could not turn it.Only for these it would be easy enough to remove the bumper:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts