Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up the new (well 2007) 207 1.6 110 dhi sport on Friday and have just had a horrible thought-the last time i had a red car (an old Vauxhall Astra) it faded really badly.
Now i want to keep this looking good so any hints or tips on doing so?
My initial thoughts were to clay it and then give it a coat of Meguiars NXT gen tech wax?

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
The new reds don't fade as badly as the older ones (especially not as bad as vauxhall red/pink). I would advise Autoglym super resin polish followed be the new hi-def wax. Expensive but totally worth it!

G

·
The old reds, like Vauxhall Carmine red and Pug Cherry red, faded due to a reaction to UV light. There is no cure for this whatsoever,
No waxes or polishes will make a jot of difference, short of keeping the car permanently indoors.

Modern paint compounds are much more stable, especially reds and greens. Use the wax which repels road crud the longest (which is none of Megs products).

G

·
Charlie said:
i always use meguiars - seems bloody good to me ...
Gives a good finish indeed, but compared to the likes of the heavyweights like Autobalm or Collinite it has poor and short lived protective qualities.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Guys , The old reds were poor on pigmentation as Chopper says and were 'Straight' colours ie solid reds that if you used T Cut the cloth would go red and you were basically taking off the top layer (cutting the paint back)

Modern red's are basecoat and clear lacquer (red matt base with a clear gloss 2 pack lacquer on top) and so the colour coat is protected by the lacquer and less prone to fading.

Pigmentation problems still do exist however , if you have a red car repaired and it looks cracking , park it under a sodium street light at night , can be an interesting sight :thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
The red (pink) car colour debate.

God they did fade didnt they.

I used to use a 'clay' bar.

Hard work (only do 1 x panel at a time or it will drive you insane) BUT RESULTS WERE GOOD.

Just my humble opinion....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ford Radiant and Rosso 'RED' , i used to machine polish them 1 day prior to sale :thumb:

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I"ve a red 407SW..

Not worried about the colour fading issuse, but deffo need to take action to protect the paintwork on any car.

Meguiars....good results....but very, very UN-user friendly!

Autoglym Super Resin, followed by the Hi definition wax needed:thumb:

Gonna start the front of the car on the Easter Break, as the front apron has a couple of places where the laquer is chipping.:rolleyes:

@ Martin.......have you tried the "Zymol" wax on the MR2 ??

Cliff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts