Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Can anyone give me some ideas?:confused:
I bought my 2006 307 SW just over a year ago. There were a few knocks and clunks but I left it for the MOT garage to find out if it was anything needed looking at! NO! Passed!
It has just been back fro MOT! They were aware of the knock and have had a good look at it. Apparently there is a "midges dick" of play in the steering rack but that is all they could find!
BUT I am convinced there is a problem! I put new tyres on the front, Bridgestones, just after MOT last year. The car won't have done 6000 miles and one of them is "barely" legal. The other isn't fantastic either.
SO, how do I go about finding something that is "loose" but may take some force to discover it???????
Ideas???:thumb:
Cheers!
Phil

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Start by getting the front of the ground and see if you can feel any play in the wheels ,
grab a wheel with both hands at 9 o`clock and 3 o`clock wiggle to see if any play ,then grab it at 12 o`clock and 6 o`clock and wiggle to see if theres any play ,
then reach up in and grab the droplink pull up and down slowly,
if theres play in any of these then you have problems .

Hope i explained that easy enough.:eek:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start by getting the front of the ground and see if you can feel any play in the wheels ,
grab a wheel with both hands at 9 o`clock and 3 o`clock wiggle to see if any play ,then grab it at 12 o`clock and 6 o`clock and wiggle to see if theres any play ,

Yup. you did! The trouble is, I don't think I will find it by doing any "wiggling". I have a feeling that whatever is loose will take a bit more than a "wiggle" to find it. Can a get a scafold bar in somehow to "wiggle" it????:D
Phil

·
Registered
387 Posts
The biggest culprit for knocking on all of my 307's has been drop links which are relatively cheap & easy to replace. The other culprit could be a worn ball joint. When was the last time the cars wheel alignment was done, if ever?

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
You can leave it on the ground and put a crow bar in and slightly lift suspension around the droplink / ball joint area to see if theres any play.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can leave it on the ground and put a crow bar in and slightly lift suspension around the droplink / ball joint area to see if theres any play.
Cheers, I will try that! The guys at the garage who do the MOT are pretty good so I am assuming it will take a bit of finding!:(

Steve, the wheel alignment was checked and "was within limits" when the new tyres were put on last year! It will get checked again when more new tyres are put on but I want to try to resolve the reason why they are wearing first.:thumb:

Phil

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I had to change my steeriing rack joint one time it was a b*stard to find the knocking , i could hear it while no-one else could.:mad:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to change my steeriing rack joint one time it was a b*stard to find the knocking , i could hear it while no-one else could.:mad:
Was it causing your tyres to wear badly??? Did you have to do some "writhing about" to find which joint was loose or was it quite obvious????:)
Cheers!
Phil

S

·
0 Posts
Agreed with the droplink idea,

Mine had no visible play but was still causing a knock, confirmed by disconnecting one end of it and having a little drive

Best part, £10.99 off ebay for a new pair :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,748 Posts
I've been after a knock in my 306 for a few days. When I lifted it up no knock!:confused:Gave it a shake again today, knock. Lifted up still no knock. Turns out it's the strut top bearing.:bang::rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, finally got around to having a look today!:rolleyes:
And I am not too impressed with the mechanic who did the MOT.:mad:
The play is very obvious and it is the bottom ball joint! So I will get two, replace them both and probably do the drop arms as well. They aren't expensive and the car has done 145000 miles with a full service history and no history of them having been done.
Anyone done this and has any tips??:thumb:
Cheers!
Phil

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well, finally got around to having a look today!:rolleyes:
And I am not too impressed with the mechanic who did the MOT.:mad:
The play is very obvious and it is the bottom ball joint! So I will get two, replace them both and probably do the drop arms as well. They aren't expensive and the car has done 145000 miles with a full service history and no history of them having been done.
Anyone done this and has any tips??:thumb:
Cheers!
Phil
i got a tip...buy a massive socket.....about a 36mill....if they the same as mine they unscrew out the bottom of the hub.....the ball joint isnt part of the wishbone like normal.....what a [email protected] design....some french [email protected] needs a ass kicking....also if they aint been done for 145000 miles your gonna need to heat them up.....i may be wrong on this but i just done two on a 136 xsi sw and they are a COW....hth

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's a bigger socket than that, think it's 41. I recently done my wife's 307 and just held the flats in a vise and turned the hub with stilsons, Remember to knock back the peened over edge or you'll be there all day

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a bigger socket than that, think it's 41. I recently done my wife's 307 and just held the flats in a vise and turned the hub with stilsons, Remember to knock back the peened over edge or you'll be there all day
Cheers for that! Yes, 41mm socket but it does sound like I will be heading into the shed with a pair of stilsons!:lol:
Phil:thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got a tip...buy a massive socket.....about a 36mill....if they the same as mine they unscrew out the bottom of the hub.....the ball joint isnt part of the wishbone like normal.....what a [email protected] design....some french [email protected] needs a ass kicking....also if they aint been done for 145000 miles your gonna need to heat them up.....i may be wrong on this but i just done two on a 136 xsi sw and they are a COW....hth
Thanks for tip! I am now prepared for a pig of a job! Hopefully I will pleasantly surprised to find it goes really easy!:D
Phil

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Elusive Rattle

Hello,

And there was me thinking I was the only 307 owner on the planet hearing mysterious low speed only rattles from the front end...that nobody else could hear. (No excessive tyre wear).

I will be paying attention to the downlinks.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah ive got a nasty knocking sound when turning left or right at low speeds, no knocks when going over a speed bump, will throw the car in the air tomorow and check but think the N/S is at fault.

if there is play horizontally whats the part at fault and if there is play verticaly in teh wheel what part is that?

thanks for your help

Daz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts