Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Long time since I posted a guide since my last one regarding parking sensors, so now to this some people claim cant be done.

Most Peugeot 307 have ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) but it is not often widely known especially since only a few selected models being mainly the XSI and high performance variants have the control button on the dashboard in order to turn it on or off (such as icy conditions).

Now lets be clear, not all 307's have ESP but if you have a SE, XSI, GT etc (ie the top end models) you quite possibly have it even though no dash console button is present. You can do three things to check;

Let me know your VIN and I will check the Peugeot Servicebox to confirm if you have ESP or not

Simply pull out the cup holder in the centre under the handbrake and look to see if a control box is present like below (Bosch item with gold clip securing). This as pictured is called a Yaw sensor and is one component of the ESP system (more on that later). If you see it present it is highly likely you have ESP in your 307 but option 1's check will confirm.

Turn the ignition on and look carefully at the dashboard near the speedo/fuel gauge. Pay attention to the warning lights that show up on the dashboard while performing a self test and before flashing off again. If you see the ESP icon (shown later in this tutorial) appear in the bottom right, you have ESP installed.

So what is ESP, im not sure what your on about?

ESP also know as the similar traction control or ESC (various manufactuers call it different things) works by furthering the ABS system installed on all 307's. It basically aids steering and avoids skidding when in an emergency situation applying the brake to the relevant wheels. It effectively minimises loss of control of your 307 so worthy technology.

Now to cut out two much jargon, it works using the already existing ABS components being the wheel sensors, ABS pump and valves, combined with a yaw control sensor and steering angle sensor. The yaw sensor is located under the centre console below the handbrake and the steering sensor is located within the COMMS2000 unit. The yaw sensor measures side to side motion of the car with the steering sensor measuring the actual intended steering position. If intended steering angle is different to that measured by the yaw sensor the ESP kicks in and breaks the relevant wheels respectively.

So cut to the chase?

Ok, so Peugeot being Peugeot and probably being French having something to do with it, created models with ESP but no control button in the console. However these models are actually configured and wired for a control button but are missing the actual button. Instead Peugeot add a blanking plate instead of the button. Why you ask? As I said, Peugeot for you. However I really can't understand the logic of having all the wiring installed, as well as the feature implemented, but deciding to blank it off instead of fitting a switch!

Now why would you want to add a button to the console?

In typical UK, winter (and other seasons for that matter) have bad weather at the best of times including ice and snow. ESP is great technology but in these extreme conditions, it sometimes means you cannot get your car off the drive as ABS and ESP kicks in and doesnt allow the wheels to spin. Therefore having an option to disable ESP is useful in such instances.

Ok, so how do I add the button then?

First make the checks your car is eligble for the ESP button. This will not work and will be pointless if you do not have the ESP components sorry. This is purely for the 307's with ESP but no control button in the dash.

Now buy a button from a car breaker or ebay. The ESP button should cost about £10 tops otherwise you are being ripped off. Failing that you could buy it from the Peugeot Network ie. dealers but you will indeed be ripped off for it new at around £30!!! Peugeot part 6554F4.

Once you have your shiny button, remove the blank one in place by using a small plastic spatula or implement that will not scratch the dash ie. not metal. Start at the top of the button and gently prise it out of position.

Disconnect the wiring connector at the back of the button and then swap it with your new ESP button by plugging it in securely.

Push the button into place until it clicks and job done. No further config is required by planet or similar.

Click to see finished product

Your ESP light will now flash on the dashboard when the button is pressed to disable the feature as shown.

Hope it helps. Any questions please ask.

Matt

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, my vin is VF33C8XZB82395520. Please let me know if my car, supports esp.
Many thanks,
Can you send me via PM? That VIN does not register so maybe you can confirm it with me

PS - I would advise you do not post your VIN in public view

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you send me via PM? That VIN does not register so maybe you can confirm it with me

PS - I would advise you do not post your VIN in public view

I'm a new user, so cannot send PM. Anyway, i just chekced inside the cupholder, and the item required is not present. I supose i cannot add esp :(.
Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a new user, so cannot send PM. Anyway, i just chekced inside the cupholder, and the item required is not present. I supose i cannot add esp :(.
Thanks
No sadly not, I guess your 307 is a rapier or S which are the lower spec models.

Matt

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
May I suggest that those in charge make this excellent post a Sticky?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi everyone,

Long time since I posted a guide since my last one regarding parking sensors, so now to this some people claim cant be done.

Most Peugeot 307 have ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) but it is not often widely known especially since only a few selected models being mainly the XSI and high performance variants have the control button on the dashboard in order to turn it on or off (such as icy conditions).

Now lets be clear, not all 307's have ESP but if you have a SE, XSI, GT etc (ie the top end models) you quite possibly have it even though no dash console button is present. You can do two things to check;

Let me know your VIN and I will check the Peugeot Servicebox to confirm if you have ESP or not

Simply pull out the cup holder in the centre under the handbrake and look to see if a control box is present like below (Bosch item with gold clip securing). This as pictured is called a Yaw sensor and is one component of the ESP system (more on that later). If you see it present it is highly likely you have ESP in your 307 but option 1's check will confirm.

So what is ESP, im not sure what your on about?

ESP also know as the similar traction control or ESC (various manufactuers call it different things) works by furthering the ABS system installed on all 307's. It basically aids steering and avoids skidding when in an emergency situation applying the brake to the relevant wheels. It effectively minimises loss of control of your 307 so worthy technology.

Now to cut out two much jargon, it works using the already existing ABS components being the wheel sensors, ABS pump and valves, combined with a yaw control sensor and steering angle sensor. The yaw sensor is located under the centre console below the handbrake and the steering sensor is located within the COMMS2000 unit. The yaw sensor measures side to side motion of the car with the steering sensor measuring the actual intended steering position. If intended steering angle is different to that measured by the yaw sensor the ESP kicks in and breaks the relevant wheels respectively.

So cut to the chase?

Ok, so Peugeot being Peugeot and probably being French having something to do with it, created models with ESP but no control button in the console. However these models are actually configured and wired for a control button but are missing the actual button. Instead Peugeot add a blanking plate instead of the button. Why you ask? As I said, Peugeot for you. However I really can't understand the logic of having all the wiring installed, as well as the feature implemented, but deciding to blank it off instead of fitting a switch!

Now why would you want to add a button to the console?

In typical UK, winter (and other seasons for that matter) have bad weather at the best of times including ice and snow. ESP is great technology but in these extreme conditions, it sometimes means you cannot get your car off the drive as ABS and ESP kicks in and doesnt allow the wheels to spin. Therefore having an option to disable ESP is useful in such instances.

Ok, so how do I add the button then?

First make the checks your car is eligble for the ESP button. This will not work and will be pointless if you do not have the ESP components sorry. This is purely for the 307's with ESP but no control button in the dash.

Now buy a button from a car breaker or ebay. The ESP button should cost about £10 tops otherwise you are being ripped off. Failing that you could buy it from the Peugeot Network ie. dealers but you will indeed be ripped off for it new at around £50!!! Peugeot part 6554F4.

Once you have your shiny button, remove the blank one in place by using a small plastic spatula or implement that will not scratch the dash ie. not metal. Start at the top of the button and gently prise it out of position.

Disconnect the wiring connector at the back of the button and then swap it with your new ESP button by plugging it in securely.

Push the button into place until it clicks and job done. No further config is required by planet or similar.

Click to see finished product

Your ESP light will now flash on the dashboard when the button is pressed to disable the feature as shown.

Hope it helps. Any questions please ask.

Matt
jct600 just told me £17.75 for that switch as I cant find one on ebay, good post by the way

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Update checked my car no Bosch unit installed so no go for me, it looks as if I have multi plug that may have been for it but the control box is not installed

Worth a go though thanks

Allan

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Shame, you will find most 307's have a generic wiring loom throughout the car with all the connectors ready for the relevant ECU's such as parking assistance, alarm etc. They simply just sell you the car with ESP and then install all the components required by hooking it up to the loom already present. So yes, connector could be present but you would have to buy the yaw sensor, buy a new comms2000 module and use Peugeot Planet to enable ESP. However I am unsure if this is guaranteed to work.

jct600 just told me £17.75 for that switch as I cant find one on ebay, good post by the way
That price is ok I guess but I got mine for £6 posted. In comparision you have been skanked. You can also look up "Peugeot 307 SE or XSI breaking" and you will be able to ask sellers if they have the switch on the relevant cars they are breaking.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes I think that's correct but if it is not fitted at least it won't cause issues in icy weather lol

Look on the bright side that's my motto

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Indeed but having said that, with ESP on my car I have never had the issue either. However a switch may come in handy :)

Anyhow... next tutorial coming soon on "How to add the OEM manufactuer fitted alarm to your 307"

·
5,891 Posts
If you have ESP fitted the esp light should also come on with the ABS light at start up for the self test

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
on service box mine says
DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM

is that the right bit and does it mean i can fit it to mine?
I believe it's actually the 'with ESP' you're looking for. That dynamic program im not sure about sorry. I do know that dsc is another name for esp so potentially. Have you checked to see if you have the yaw sensor?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts