Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

What do you think is a fair price to replace the gearbox in a 307 2005 auto? (It's been slipping)

Current quote:
- used gearbox is AU$700 (~£380) + $200 (~£100) for 12 month warranty
- installation $1500 (~£700)
Total: AU$2500/£1300

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Get online and on the phone for some quotes. Check out how much a new one is too.
It should take 4-5 hour to remove and replace for a competent mechanic, plus the cost of the gearbox and transmission oil.
I make that Aus$300 per hour from your quote, is that the going rate where you are?. That's London main dealer rates.

Roger.

·
Registered
14,530 Posts
I would say that's about right for an auto box but it might be worth having yours repaired as the cost might not be a lot more and at least you know it should last must be more auto box places in Australia than there is in the uk as brits don't really do autos :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment I've been quoted $3500-$5000 for a rebuild. The mechanic was through a friend and he said the gear box replacement would take about 2 days of work! 16 hours! Although he said he wasn't charging me for the full 16 hours - incompetent mechanic?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
16 hours to replace a gearbox?. Maybe he thinks you came down in the last shower of rain.
If you are anywhere near a decent size town get some quotes from other places. You're being taken for a mug.

Roger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not really related,but worth considering. I recently had my clutch replaced. (2003 2.0l Petrol) Shopped around Sydney, Central Coast and Newcastle and ended up that the local dealer (Pacific Euro) were the most competitive.

I had additional work done at the time (240k service - timing belt, new water pump, recon steering box) and the lot came in at just over $AUD3,000. They had the car for 2 days.

Considering a timing belt replacement is usually around $1200.00 I think the price and time spent was quite fair.

BTW this was the first time the clutch had been replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm thanks Roger! I'll definitely get some more quotes. A mechanic is having a look at it over next few days... Apparently could just be that the battery acid has leaked into the gearbox and if that's the case, will only cost around $400.. Otherwise this guy reckons it's $7000 to recondition the gear box! What a joke!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I bet $Aus7000 isn't far off the price of a brand new one.

When I was in Perth I found the car dealers mostly offered fair and honest service, even to the extent of pointing out to me how I could save money repairing something rather than replacing it, this at a Ford dealer.

Roger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mines a 2007 2ltr Auto and in 2010 the auto started slipping it had just run out of warranty. I took it to Trivetts (dealer) as at the time I wasn't doing any work myself and wasn't aware of these great forums, anyway they repaired/overhauled it for $1800. Now 5 years later still ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: my dad's mechanic friend says the process is to pull the gearbox apart and refit cellanoids = $500 regardless of whether that is the fix or not. If that doesn't fix it- get parts for the gear box costing up to $2500. Does that process sound about right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts