Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 07 307SW which has done 92K miles but been MPD serviced throughout it's entire life. Every stamp in the book, every recall and update done to it ...it was an ex lease car so it got the best of the best for the first 3 years of it's life. Its done about 3K under my ownership and also been PMD serviced during that time as well ...

I bought it last year and the first time it got hot outside (it doesn't happen much I know) I noticed the aircon wasn't working very well, so I went to Halfords and got it regassed with one of their DIY kits. Problem solved and it seemed to be OK.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago (next time it got warm out again of course) and I notice the aircon wasn't working again. This time my Peugeot dealer was doing an aircon check for 35 quid so I explained what had gone before and took it in there. I got a call later in the day saying I had no gas with the likely reason being that the car had barely been used and the seals had dried out and allowed gas to escape. I was assured that regassing would fix the leaks and cure the problem. So I paid the 115 quid (yeah I know) for it to be sorted. At least I got a "free" pollen filter ...

It lasted about 5 weeks before I noticed it wasn't working again. Rather pissed off this time I took the car back to Peugeot who stripped it this time and diagnosed a rotten aircon condenser unit that was allowing the gas to escape. Seemingly it allows leaves and shit to become trapped because of its location and so leads on to it rotting out..

So, they told me I now needed to spend a further 345 quid to replace the condenser unit....now I can deal with repair costs, that is part of car ownership, but I am rather surprised that a car that is only just 4 years old, that is immaculate inside and out and been fully dealer maintained can have a part that can rot away to a point of complete failure in such a short space of time.

The garage told my wife when the job was sorted that it was the 3rd 307 that week with the same fault ...:eek:

So - has anyone else come across this yet, is it gonna be a(nother) major flaw in Peugeot design do we think ?

Is it worth me contacting Pug and bitching about it to see if I can get anywhere ? (No, I didn't think so either :D )

Anyhow, if you are having aircon probs on a relatively new car - it could just turn out to be more than a regas you need ....:nod:

D

·
0 Posts
Never with that kind of problem.
Isin't it fixed now, no more worries :thumb:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it seem to be fixed now David, the post is more to inform others of what might be, than anything else mate. :)

I am curious how widespread the problem is (or isn't) though ....

D

·
0 Posts
A stone could do that kind of damage to a condenser. Its just one of those things.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, yeah - I get that. I have a chipped screen and put stuff like that down to wear and tear and shit happens and all that :D

What I am puzzled by is that it could actually rot away in almost no time...the spanner jockey doing the job said it was caused because of crud that got trapped between the condenser and whatever else it mates to that just allowed it to corrode away. Now the car itself is mint, there is not a mark on it. (well, apart from the chip in the screen). It gets washed and polished as often as the weather allows.

It's just as clean under the bonnet too.

If a design fault (if that's what it is) can allow that sort of deterioration to happen on mine, when its been in a PMD at a max of every 3 months since it was built - what does it hold for someone that maybe aint quite as fastidious on maintainence as I ?

I am not bitching about my repair bill (it's only money anyway lol) I am interested whether I have been spun a line about it being common (to cover up a less than thorough examination carried out by them that first time they fixed it perhaps) or if it may turn into a common occurrence that may affect a few owners.

That's my point, dust see :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow, you situation is almost exactly the same as mine. '57 307 SW, bought in February and ex lease, FSH etc. Came to the first hot spell, not particularly good at cooling. Took to have it re-gassed and they found a hole in the condenser. In the process of taking this up with the dealer I bought this from and the card company as the onus is on them to prove this fault developed after I bought the car (there are other faults as well, such as the COMM 2000 unit and a faulty cooling fan relay). Hopefully will get them to sort it, the condenser definitely seem to be a little vulnerable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well if you end up paying for it, just bear in mind the Autorads post just above^^ that can save you a couple hundred quid ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Not to mention it's completely illegal to regas without checking the system is holding!

·
Registered
648 Posts
True. The garage that did the regas and found the leak correctly removed the gas that was in the system afterwards. Also found these guys for condensers at a good price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts