Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

Wan do a oil and filter change on my 307 2002 diesel car and was wondering how easy is it to do?? I know wot grade oil to get and need a new filter and sump nut,and i can dispose of the oil safely at work.
Wan save a little money by doing it myself.

Cheers all:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Piece a piss mate.

You'll need a square section driver though for the drain plug, not every toolbox has one of these lying around.

5w40 fully synthetic is what you want.

Simple as you think it is really, place a suitable container under engine.
Loosen sump drain plug.
Let oil drain.
Unscrew old filter.
Let oil drain.
Once all drained put new sump drain plug in and tighten.
Put a smear of new oil around the seal for the filter.
Screw filter on hand tight.
Now put in a decent amount as in nearly capacity.
Leave for 5-10 mins to sink down.
Top up to level
Lave for 5-10 mins.
Check again and just keep an eye on it over the next day or two to ensure it stays up to level.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did one on a 07 1.4hdi recently....
The worst part was getting that pesky undertray off - it`s not worth jacking it up to get it off and some of the fixings are right at the limit of my arms reach,and fiddling about with those stupid lock`n`turn things just by feel,on my back with my head stuck under the cill,dirty water dripping down my neck,cursing`n`shoutin`,trying to get the feckers out made me wonder if it`s all worthwhile.
By the time you`ve bought oil at 35 quid,oil and and airfilter you`re up to 50 quid,and Peugeot do a lube serive for 100. Yer universal auto centres probably do a oil/filter change for less than the price of the oil alone!
Is it really worth the hassle?
Am i going to do it again?
Yes - `cos i`m a tight git!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hann said:
Yer universal auto centres probably do a oil/filter change for less than the price of the oil alone!
I very very much doubt it. If you are paying £35 then you're shopping at Halfrauds! Do not buy car parts from Halfrauds, BIG mark up.

Any decent motor factors will be your best bet.
Should be around £20 for oil

·
Registered
106 Posts
roy_newell said:
I very very much doubt it. If you are paying £35 then you're shopping at Halfrauds! Do not buy car parts from Halfrauds, BIG mark up.

Any decent motor factors will be your best bet.
Should be around £20 for oil
Guilty!
Hellfrauds oil = £36 5L fully syn.
Local autofactors:local parts for local people = £30 for 4L....
Cost of filters was about the same (£9 each) from both sources,which means Hellfrauds were`nt too bad or my local factors are robbing shits.

ps,you`re not going to get quality fully syn for twenty quid for 5L....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hann said:
Guilty!
Hellfrauds oil = £36 5L fully syn.
Local autofactors:local parts for local people = £30 for 4L....
Cost of filters was about the same (£9 each) from both sources,which means Hellfrauds were`nt too bad or my local factors are robbing shits.

ps,you`re not going to get quality fully syn for twenty quid for 5L....
Actually good point. I've not bought any fully synth before. I'll see what my locals are like soon as I'm due a service. Maybe halfrauds aint too bad after all, hmmm. Well the people working there are still thick as pig shit :p

G

·
My nearest pug dealer sells a full 5L of 5w40 synth for a tidy £30. Genuine filters at the dealers are rarely, if any, more expensive than Halfrauds tat, will filter better for longer, and won't cause oil pressure problems. Even Opie Oils do some good promos - I recenlty got 5 litres of Motul fully synhetic delivered to my door with change from £30.

Much as it pains me to say it, dealers are often quite competitive in certain areas, especially if you're a member of one of the 2 big Pug clubs and get a discount. These Fred in a Shed motor factors rely on the myth that dealer parts are uber expensive, when the reality is they often are actually cheaper, and you don't run the risk of 2nd rate pattern poo being fitted to your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.