Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved on from my timing question... sorry if it was a bit of a noob question, I guess the answer was a bit obvious, like "Never mind the code, you have a noise telling you there's a problem so look into it before your engine gets smashed up."

I believe the noise is on the left of the engine, so best guess now is a worn pulley. I have the auxiliary drive belt off.

Problem- next step is the crankshaft pulley. I've checked around and I'm sure it's a normal thread. But my car is automatic, so I can't find a way to hold the crankshaft steady while I remove the nut. I tried an oil filter chain wrench around the pulley, but that won't be strong enough. The pulley has no holes. Curiously, someone has tried to drill one! A bit worrying. So maybe I need to hold the engine steady from the clutch end. There is a small cutout level with the clutch, but there's nothing through there to hold onto, just a smooth ring with some numbers. Nothing under the engine that I can see. On other cars, you can remove the starter to get access to the starter ring, but, here, it's under the inlet manifold, so there's a lot of dismantling involved.

I can't move on with the job until this pulley is off. I need to lock either the pulley or the engine- ideas please anyone?

Thank you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep but I'm trying to stay away from the garage. Have made a bit of progress with the dreaded starter motor method, but this bolt is seriously stiff and it's no easier despite about 5 turns. I want to leave my starter alone now. I can't even give up and reassemble it to take it in for repair, because I wouldn't be able to retighten. Hopefully, a new bolt will go in easier, but I still need to lock either the pulley or the engine to get the right torque.
I was considering improvising. A big jubilee clip might make it possible to brace the pulley, and I'd prefer it to drilling screw holes- unless there's a tool designed for this situation?
And is there really no easy way to lock the engine?

Thanks for reply

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep but I'm trying to stay away from the garage. Have made a bit of progress with the dreaded starter motor method, but this bolt is seriously stiff and it's no easier despite about 5 turns. I want to leave my starter alone now. I can't even give up and reassemble it to take it in for repair, because I wouldn't be able to retighten. Hopefully, a new bolt will go in easier, but I still need to lock either the pulley or the engine to get the right torque.
I was considering improvising. A big jubilee clip might make it possible to brace the pulley, and I'd prefer it to drilling screw holes- unless there's a tool designed for this situation?
And is there really no easy way to lock the engine?

Thanks for reply
EDIT-I got an error and thought this hadn't posted, that's why it's doubled up

·
Registered
144 Posts
a method i used to use on older cars
was to remove spark plugs
wedge spanner on nut and give starter a quick flip
that used to get it off
not sure health and saftey would approve though
Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts