Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

ive been having no end problems with my car, its at a halfords for two weeks now and there sending it to a dealer, but ive decided im going to clean FAP unit myself,

i just need to know, is there any way i can find out without looking under my car (its at the garage) whether i have a split or combined fap/cat filter....

its a 307 hdi se 1.6 model (55')

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you've got your VIN number (last 8 digits) then register with Peugeot Service Box which is free using the following link

Peugeot Service Box (you may have to change the language to English on the top right hand side of the screen)

Once registered and logged in, pop in the last 8 digits of your VIN in the Vehicle box on the left hand side of the screen then click OK. Your vehicle details should then come up next to that box

Then on the Engine menu, click on Exhaust. At the bottom of the screen there should be 3 Titles come up. Click on the on which mentions the Front Cat. A picture and parts list should then pop up.
If its a split one then it will look like this

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my cars at the garage with all the paperwork, is there any way of finding out my VIN without looking on the car or paperwork....like with just my registration number...?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the diagram you posted above is what's on your car then you have a split cat & dpf...cat in the top part of the canister, dpf in the bottom part.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck! It's straightforward enough to remove but if it's the same as mine (late 2005, 307, 1.6hdi) you'll find bugger all room between the radiator & exhaust heat shield. I drained & removed the radiator first to avoid damaging it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi peter, is yours a 110bhp...sounds like its exactly the same model.......could you give me some step by step instructions from the point of view of someone who has done it on the same car.....im a bit of a novice,

i hear i need to get galetto first before anything....did you get yours off ebay?

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also, whats the performance been like since removing it, is it a much better drive i.e. without the fap hassles?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Joey, I didn't remove mine permanently...only removed it to clean it after turbo failure. Anyway, basic steps for removal are as below. You will need to remove other bits as you go along...eg. the air scoop needs to come off in order to get the rad out.

1. Drain & remove radiator.
2. Undo pressure differential pipes and also the exhaust temp sensor
3. Remove heat shield: 7 x 10mm bolts
3. Undo exhaust clamps x2 (1 at turbo, 1 underneath)
4. Unbolt cat/dpf assembly from engine block: 2x 13mm nut.
5. Remove: pull forward and then lower down and out the bottom.

To seperate the dpf & cat, undo the clamp around it's waist and pull apart. But mark it first so you can realign it properly when you're putting it back together.

For cleaning I just used a pressure washer...blasting & draining until the water ran clear. I've seen other methods mentioned but that worked ok for me. Peugeot planet shows very little pressure differential, indicating that there's minimum restriction.

Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks so much peter for the very clear instructions....

are there any tools/ equipment i should know about in order to do this job..?

i think i will just go for the clean rather than full removal of dpf...

also, how does peugeot planet fit in, will i need to reset anything? i still havnt got pp working on my laptop even though i spent loads of money on the cables, just wondering can i do the job without pp?

thanks again

·
Registered
52 Posts
No special tools required, just a decent selection of sockets & spanners and a set of torx sockets.

Radiator hoses: pliers/long legs.
Remove radiator: torx T30 (I think), angled socket adapter.
Heat shield: 10mm socket.
DPF-block nuts: deep 13mm socket.
Pressure differential pipes: 19mm spanner.
Temp sensor: 12mm spanner.
Exhaust clamps & dpf/cat clamp: deep 16mm socket.

Since your car has already logged a depolution fault you may need peugeot planet to clear the fault code and possibly tell the car it's had a new DPF. Not sure about that though.

But before doing this work I'd suggest to get the car on peugeot planet to point to WHY you have a depolution fault. I've seen that (or similar) message on my car twice before. 1st time was the fuel cap sensor, 2nd time was possibly a bad glow plug.

Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pressure washing my DPF:

Repeated dozens of times until water ran clear and washed from the other end every few cycles.
Left to drain for a couple of days and finished off the drying hooked up to our tumble dryer outlet hose for 40 minutes :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brilliant peter, thanks for posting that up, its much better to see it, any other photos/ vids from the same job that might help me when it comes to doing it?

if i can get peugeot planet to work ill try and find out what the problem is first, but i geuss it cant do it any harm cleaning it anyway........is there a quicker way of drying it, only i dont have very long to do the job, doign it at a friends house...

out of interest, how vital is it to remove the radiator for doing the job....just because it means replacing anti freeze etc...

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've read that you don't need to worry about drying...just put it back on the car and the exhaust heat will dry it out in no time. I had plenty time available while I did other work though so opted to dry it fully before refitting.

For me, radiator removal was 100% necessary to get the heatshield out. I spent hours trying to get the thing out without actually removing the rad but finally had to give in. If you place a container under the bottom radiator hose and undo that first you should be able to catch and reuse most of it.

Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
seeing as we've got the same model i think the radiator will have to come off!

it's annoying that 'depollution fault' can mean so many different things....these guys at halfords told me 'low oil pressure' which put me in limp mode and has made the car undrivable for past 2 weeks is actually due to FAP, so ill start by cleaning out the filter..

but like you say 'depollution fault' could mean one of many things wrong with it!

im going to try and get the diagnostic codes halfords got when i pick the car up tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts