Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
During the summer I had some posts under the thread 'Water-Temp rises 407/2006'. I finally thougt that the problem was solved, but I was wrong.

After having run my car during the summer, the problem came up again, that is the temperature was rising and the 'STOP' message came up.

I did change the thermostat and thougt that this was the solution, but - no.
Now I have let my serviceman empting the coolant system and flush the system, and fill it upp through the vacummethode.

After that I had a drive for less than an hour and then the temperature rose again. The heatingtemp in the cabin was cold even when I had it put on max temp. So now I realise that there is a circulation problem and that there probably is an airbubbel somewhere. Or that there is a bad head gasket (HG).

Now my question is: how can I test if the HG is OK or bad?

·
6,094 Posts
Have you checked the water pump impellers can fail reducing circulation with similar symtoms

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
Think i would be checking to make sure it has been bled properly to get rid of any air first,,

Dont think a bad head gasket would cause the heater to blow just cold air but i could be wrong

Other things spring to mind after checking its bled
Sticking thermostat
Weak water pump

But really does sound like trapped air to me :)

EDIT must be slow at typing 4 post since i started writing this one ,,i will sit back down :D

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
Ok that sounds like a petrol engine model could be an airlock they are hard to bleed

Put heater on HOT position and run it with filler cap off open bleed screw on heater feed pipe at bulkhead till clear coolant comes out then refit cap keep coolant full rev engine checking for heat from heater once you have heat it should be bled fine and should take a little more coolant.

If you cannot get heat then i would look at water pump next but pump is driven by timing belt so it can get expensive !

Head gasket is unlikely to be fair unless you have overheated it a few times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think i would be checking to make sure it has been bled properly to get rid of any air first,,

Dont think a bad head gasket would cause the heater to blow just cold air but i could be wrong

Other things spring to mind after checking its bled
Sticking thermostat
Weak water pump

But really does sound like trapped air to me :)

EDIT must be slow at typing 4 post since i started writing this one ,,i will sit back down :D
In june I did change the thermostat and I worked hard with beelding the system. After that it worked well. But suddenly last week the engine got hot again.

I then decided to let my serviceman empting and flushing the system. After that they filled it throug first pumping out all air so there was a complete vacum and then fill it with coolant. I suppose they did not bleed the system after that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok that sounds like a petrol engine model could be an airlock they are hard to bleed

Put heater on HOT position and run it with filler cap off open bleed screw on heater feed pipe at bulkhead till clear coolant comes out then refit cap keep coolant full rev engine checking for heat from heater once you have heat it should be bled fine and should take a little more coolant.

If you cannot get heat then i would look at water pump next but pump is driven by timing belt so it can get expensive !

Head gasket is unlikely to be fair unless you have overheated it a few times.
I agree to your thoughts that it must be an air pocket. However because my bad english I do not understand what you meen with this:
then refit cap keep coolant full rev engine checking for heat from heater

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe you meed 'run the engine'.
OK, after a good nights sleep I will test this. It sounds reasonable.

Thanks for helping! it is really valuable!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts