Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needs to be abolished - the last time I looked we were a democracy.

Perhaps 'the Lords' would like to pay for the cut in tax credits from their own billions?

Time the second house was abolished - they receive a 'salary' paid by us, the tax payers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I don't agree. They form an important buffer to help prevent ill thought out rushed legislation being passed into law.
Quite rightly, they cannot stop Bills being passed, but they can say to the Commons, "Have another look at what you are proposing", apart from anything else when they make one of their very rare stands such as omn the Tax Credit Bill, the media report on this, and the public can be galvanised into lobbying their MP, or make the governing powers consider the consequences of their actions.
We do have a democracy of sorts, "An awful way for a country to be run, until you consider the alternatives" to quote the Late Winston Churchill.

Roger.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Bottom line is if they got the priorities right and removed all the lobbying there would be no problem. The thing with tax credits is that it subsidises industry who pay a wage that people can't live on.

Budgets do need to be balanced and I agree that wealth redistribution is not the best system but then neither is exploitative capitalism. The wealth gap is widening and it will cause problems down the line

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't agree. They form an important buffer to help prevent ill thought out rushed legislation being passed into law.
Quite rightly, they cannot stop Bills being passed, but they can say to the Commons, "Have another look at what you are proposing", apart from anything else when they make one of their very rare stands such as omn the Tax Credit Bill, the media report on this, and the public can be galvanised into lobbying their MP, or make the governing powers consider the consequences of their actions.
We do have a democracy of sorts, "An awful way for a country to be run, until you consider the alternatives" to quote the Late Winston Churchill.

Roger.
I like the comments from the Tories that action will be taken to bring the Lords into line because they stopped the Government taking the P!$$ out of the Electorate

·
Registered
687 Posts
from memory, aren't majority of the Peers in the House of Lords of a blue persuasion? If correct, it seems that many of the old chums didn't tow the line.

Mark Twain (I think) had some good quotes on democracy...

Democracy is 2 wolves and lamb deciding what id for dinner

and

If democracy changed anything, they would make it illegal

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
from memory, aren't majority of the Peers in the House of Lords of a blue persuasion?

I don't think they have an absolute majority. One positive thing about unelected peers is they can act for the common good (and many of them do so), unfettered by a need to toe the party line or worrying about short term solutions because the election is due soon.

Mark Twain (I think) had some good quotes on democracy...
Democracy is 2 wolves and lamb deciding what id for dinner
and
If democracy changed anything, they would make it illegal
He wrote "The Guilded Cage" 150 years ago, it still rings true about the current American political system.

Roger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts