Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horn on my Son's Peugeot 206 has stopped working

This seems to be quite a common problem but I have been unable to rectify the issue. I have read through many, many posts on this issue and can confirm that all fuses are fine but there doesn't seem tho be any power at the horn switch itself

I haven't checked the horn itself but, if there isn't any power at the horn switch, to me, there is not much point checking this just yet anyway. Just my way of thinking. I have just removed the airbag/horn switch cover again and can confirm there isn't any power between the three copper connectors and the spade connector.

I am now at a it of a loss as to where to look next so perhaps someone will have an idea?

·
Registered
442 Posts
but there doesn't seem tho be any power at the horn switch itself

I haven't checked the horn itself but, if there isn't any power at the horn switch, to me, there is not much point checking this just yet anyway. Just my way of thinking.
What year 206? Two completely different ways of doing the eletrickery stuff on the 206 depending on year...

Up until 2001 they're the oldschool style where you'd likely have +12V connected permanently to the horn and the ground wire running up to the switch in/on the steering wheel.

Later 206 uses a multiplexed system where individual wires going everywhere to some extent are replaced by a two-wire messaging bus between some central points like COM module, BSI, central display, stereo, instrument cluster, and engine fusebox.
On these I think the horn switch is merely an input to a computer chip which then sends a message out to the engine fusebox, to another chip which activates a relay.

The horn lives pretty exposed, and rotted wires/connectors, as with the coolant fan relays, aren't uncommon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year 206? Two completely different ways of doing the eletrickery stuff on the 206 depending on year...

Up until 2001 they're the oldschool style where you'd likely have +12V connected permanently to the horn and the ground wire running up to the switch in/on the steering wheel.

Later 206 uses a multiplexed system where individual wires going everywhere to some extent are replaced by a two-wire messaging bus between some central points like COM module, BSI, central display, stereo, instrument cluster, and engine fusebox.
On these I think the horn switch is merely an input to a computer chip which then sends a message out to the engine fusebox, to another chip which activates a relay.

The horn lives pretty exposed, and rotted wires/connectors, as with the coolant fan relays, aren't uncommon.
Hi

It's a 2002 1.1 Peugeot 206 so obviously the later layout.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I know it's difficult to get at, but check the horn itself and the connector to it before looking for expensive faults in the remainder of the car. On ours the connector to the horn had almost rusted away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it's difficult to get at, but check the horn itself and the connector to it before looking for expensive faults in the remainder of the car. On ours the connector to the horn had almost rusted away.
Hi

I have a good look earlier today but cannot locate the horn. Do you possibly know where it's located?

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Behind the front bumper. Below of the rad roughly. It is awkward to get at.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update

I know it's been a while since my last post but I have today had to repair the exhaust on my Son's Peugeot 206 and whilst I had it on the ramps thought I'd locate and remove the horn.

This I did and connected it across the battery terminals and it proved to be working. All fuses seem to be fine but it just won't work when pushing the horn button. Any futher advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Have you checked the connector to the horn? On mine the connector was not making contact with the horn.
Did you try putting a volt meter across the horn terminals and pressing the button to see if power is getting there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have removed the steering wheel and checked and cleaned the three copper contacts. When removing the horn I checked the contacts there. If that's what you mean?

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Did you check with a voltmeter to see if power is getting to the horn at the horn connector when you press the horn button?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a thought. If there's no power at the horn button / steering wheel then the fault, in my opinion, could possibly lie at the Comms 2000 unit?

I have tried to trace the wiring but this, as usual, is proving to be more difficult than it should be.

Does anyone know where the connections are for this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts