Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya.

Firstly, apologies if this has been brought up before, i couldn't find anything, and secondly, please excuse my complete lack of car knowledge.

So, we've had our 54 plate 307 for a few months now, it has 70,000 miles on the clock and had just passed its MOT when we bought it, but today has started not going properly.

When in 4th or 5th gear, if you press the accelerator, the revs jump up, but absolutely no increase in speed shows in the car. It will reach above 50mph, but you have to really wait for it and accelerate a tiny bit at a time. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear are all operating as normal.

The engine temp gauge also went up to 90mph during our 7 mile drive this evening - not sure if thats normal.

No check engine light has come on.

Any light that can be shed on this would be great before we spend a fortune at the mechanics right before christmas.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How does the clutch feel. Sounds as though there is some slipping going on there.

Try this:-

Go from 1st to 2nd but keep the revs low and do this from 2nd to 3rd and press the accelerator hard and see if it does the same thing.

Has your car got cruise control?

Do check clutch and pedal switches for correct operation.

Please let us know what you find out on testing.

Regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
If the engine speed increases without any speed increase then the only thing it can really be is a slipping clutch. 90 degrees is in the safe region and both 307's Ive had hover somewhere around or just below 90. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to get close to or into the red area.

When my clutch needed doing I was quoted £500 but that was from Halfords, None of the others I phoned to get a quote seemed to want the work. Did the job myself for a total cost of around £180 which included the cost of some extra tools I needed for the job and a days graft. Clutch still going strong after 16 months and 42,000 miles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hiya.

Firstly, apologies if this has been brought up before, i couldn't find anything, and secondly, please excuse my complete lack of car knowledge.

So, we've had our 54 plate 307 for a few months now, it has 70,000 miles on the clock and had just passed its MOT when we bought it, but today has started not going properly.

When in 4th or 5th gear, if you press the accelerator, the revs jump up, but absolutely no increase in speed shows in the car. It will reach above 50mph, but you have to really wait for it and accelerate a tiny bit at a time. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear are all operating as normal.

The engine temp gauge also went up to 90mph during our 7 mile drive this evening - not sure if thats normal.

No check engine light has come on.

Any light that can be shed on this would be great before we spend a fortune at the mechanics right before christmas.

Many Thanks.
Hi,

Is there any juddering when pulling away in first? (on a flat or incline?)

Do any of the gears crunch at all? (especially 4th & 5th)

I have to agree it sounds like the clutch is slipping at speed.... if you get any quotes for this, bear in mind you may also require a flywheel as these usually go at the same time if its a dual-mass. (not cheap either im afraid)

Have another look and see if any of the above are present.

But having had clutch problems recently myself, best not to go for the budget option.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not really any doubt about this, it's classic clutch wear. You don't say which engine you have. It's a straichtforward job on the petrols, but the some of diesels have dmfs fitted which sticks £300 extra on the bill. The worst variety is the 1.6hdi, pig of a job AND dmf!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts