Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hi to everyone aprecciate any help.
So my dmf has been knocking and vibrating real bad for 6 months been ignoring it but tonight started squeeking noises, gears crunching and occasionally gears getting stuck and unable to change properly.
So im going to fit new clutch and flywheel myself which is no problem for me to do however, on carparts4less.co.uk its 245 for luk clutch and dmf and 293 for a valeo smf conversion kit.
Which would you advise i expected the dmf to be dearer of the 2 ?
I know alot of people have been running smf years now any problems with them so far ?
Mines a 307 sw 136 also do i need any other parts other than a flywheel clutch kit and release bearing ?
Many thx upfront

P

·
0 Posts
Seen many posts from members on here about DMF and the conversion. Some folk have never had problems and some complain it's changed the feel of the whole car. I'm of the opinion that you should get the DMF. The car was built and designed to use it. Yes it's an expense but it's cost of having that car. I specifically went to 90BHP model to avoid the DMF issue's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seen many posts from members on here about DMF and the conversion. Some folk have never had problems and some complain it's changed the feel of the whole car. I'm of the opinion that you should get the DMF. The car was built and designed to use it. Yes it's an expense but it's cost of having that car. I specifically went to 90BHP model to avoid the DMF issue's.
thanks for the reply i dont understand you just quoted dmf are an extra expense.
its £294 for valeo smf kit and £255 for a luk dmf and clutch.
so the dmf is cheaper ? ( that is from carparts4less ).
Their site states i need special tools to fit a dmf is this true or is it just bolt on replacement ? I have no issues paying for either option i just wanted to see what people think.
also i was hoping someone could explain ?
You just stated the drivetrain ect.. was designed for a dmf.
how is the engine and gearbox any different to ones designed to use a smf ?
i cant see how its any different so there for surely using a smf will have no effect at all on the drivetrain otherwise all the cars before dmf would all be ruined but yet there clocking up some close to half a million miles with no issues.
Is there any evidence that these drivetrains are different to previous one i doubt it.
manufacturers wouldnt make them weaker surely ?

P

·
0 Posts
thanks for the reply i dont understand you just quoted dmf are an extra expense.
its £294 for valeo smf kit and £255 for a luk dmf and clutch.
so the dmf is cheaper ? ( that is from carparts4less ).
Their site states i need special tools to fit a dmf is this true or is it just bolt on replacement ? I have no issues paying for either option i just wanted to see what people think.
also i was hoping someone could explain ?
You just stated the drivetrain ect.. was designed for a dmf.
how is the engine and gearbox any different to ones designed to use a smf ?
i cant see how its any different so there for surely using a smf will have no effect at all on the drivetrain otherwise all the cars before dmf would all be ruined but yet there clocking up some close to half a million miles with no issues.
Is there any evidence that these drivetrains are different to previous one i doubt it.
manufacturers wouldnt make them weaker surely ?
Expense compared to a 90BHP engine.

·
11,711 Posts
Mod Note: No disrespect but all this has been covered countless times. Please use the search box and you'll have your answers rather than waiting on us to repeat information that's already on here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mod Note: No disrespect but all this has been covered countless times. Please use the search box and you'll have your answers rather than waiting on us to repeat information that's already on here.
No offence taken i cant find info on here that i originally asked.
Do any other parts need changing like seals ect or just the clutch, flywheel and bearing ?
Also i asked if a special tool is needed to fit a new dmf that isnt covered in other posts either.
Also i want to know if the drivetrain is any different to a smf setup is there any proof a smf can damage it.
None of that is covered in previous threads
Many thx i apreciate what your saying though

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Waiting to order these parts could anyone tell me if i need any other parts euro car parts are saying i might need to buy a concentric slave cylinder.
Could anyone tell me if this is true ? Ive asked peugeot they dont know seems fitting a smf is something not many people know the ins and outs of

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
Euro don't know what they are talking about as usual your car has an external slave cylinder !!

Its not SMF its simply a solid flywheel and depending on your driving style the solid flywheel would be fine but if you are a hard driver or do any towing I would stick with the dual mass as it is designed to absorb engine torque to protect the gearbox.

Having said that the newer engines have now resorted to solid flywheels BUT the clutches do not last as long.

You will probably need the sleeve the release bearing slides on as it will probably be damaged now its about £10 from peugeot

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Euro don't know what they are talking about as usual your car has an external slave cylinder !!

Its not SMF its simply a solid flywheel and depending on your driving style the solid flywheel would be fine but if you are a hard driver or do any towing I would stick with the dual mass as it is designed to absorb engine torque to protect the gearbox.

Having said that the newer engines have now resorted to solid flywheels BUT the clutches do not last as long.

You will probably need the sleeve the release bearing slides on as it will probably be damaged now its about £10 from peugeot
Thank you very much thats all i wanted to know. Have you any idea the cost of the rear main seal from peugeot ?
Many thx

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Don't forget driveshaft seals. You'll have the driveshafts out so may as well change the seals at the same time and save some work later on down the line. Reasonably cheap even from the dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget driveshaft seals. You'll have the driveshafts out so may as well change the seals at the same time and save some work later on down the line. Reasonably cheap even from the dealer.
Thx ill grab them then aswel i only do 6k miles a year so just going to go with a solid flywheel.
Im about to oder stuff now so i need valeo solid flywheel conversion kit, rear main seal, drive shaft seals a puller for the drive shafts and a clutch centralising tool ( not to sure how that works but my dad will know )

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Thx ill grab them then aswel i only do 6k miles a year so just going to go with a solid flywheel.
Im about to oder stuff now so i need valeo solid flywheel conversion kit, rear main seal, drive shaft seals a puller for the drive shafts and a clutch centralising tool ( not to sure how that works but my dad will know )
Driveshafts on my 307 slid out easily. A decent ball joint splitter might be helpful but I managed mine the old fashioned way - loosen nut and use the universal removal tool aka a hammer to break the taper lock.

Clutch alignment tool comes in a couple of varieties....

Halfords | Laser Clutch Alignment Tool This is the more finicky one to use

Sealey I prefer this type of aligment tool - but that's just my personal preference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Driveshafts on my 307 slid out easily. A decent ball joint splitter might be helpful but I managed mine the old fashioned way - loosen nut and use the universal removal tool aka a hammer to break the taper lock.

Clutch alignment tool comes in a couple of varieties....

Halfords | Laser Clutch Alignment Tool This is the more finicky one to use

Sealey I prefer this type of aligment tool - but that's just my personal preference.
Thanks i ended up ordering the valeo solid flywheel conversion kit and new ball joints to fit while im at it.
going to get seals and clutch centre tool over next few days.
All garages i phoned said theres not a solid kit for the 136 but i got one from carparts4less matches my engine number.
anyone fitted one to a 136 ?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
have a search on google. they do them for all other models so i cant see why not

dont forget gearbox oil too. the 136 engine bay is very tight so good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have a search on google. they do them for all other models so i cant see why not

dont forget gearbox oil too. the 136 engine bay is very tight so good luck
Loltell me about it.
Was tight enough doing timing belt and waterpump.
I changed high pressure fuel pump that was a pain cant see to bolt it back on had to feel for holes ect...
And fitted new turbo a year back biggest nightmare ever turbo is half way up the back of the engine.
Think im going to drop the subframe out make it easier

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
To be honest I would not drop the subframe as the bolts have a nasty habit of breaking OR the captive nuts come away inside the chassis.

When I do this engine I just slide the box across there is just enough room although I am doing it on an E7 taxi basically an expert van but same engine and box.

The other option if you have the use of an engine hoist is to remove the whole lump sounds silly I know but it actually works out quicker !!

You are pulling out the shafts and the gearbox mount anyway so only extra bits are some wiring pipework and a couple more mounts so your half way there front end comes off the car in 1 hour tops.

Depends on facilities available but with no ramp I would pull the lot do the clutch while hanging on the hoist and drop back in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In answer to your question about special tools for the dmf removal I can't imgine what these are.The flywheel bolts are torx fixings but that's normal automotive engineering. Considering your relatively low annual mileage I don't see any advantage in swiching to smf.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In answer to your question about special tools for the dmf removal I can't imgine what these are.The flywheel bolts are torx fixings but that's normal automotive engineering. Considering your relatively low annual mileage I don't see any advantage in swiching to smf.
My mileage is all start stop which is what wears out the springs

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
There are special tools for resetting the clutch covers preload but you wont need that when fitting a new clutch as its already set nothing other than torx as above to remove flywheel although you may need a big hammer and punch to realign the holes to get the bolts out :)

I think there is a tool to hold the flywheel central when fitting but its not needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are special tools for resetting the clutch covers preload but you wont need that when fitting a new clutch as its already set nothing other than torx as above to remove flywheel although you may need a big hammer and punch to realign the holes to get the bolts out :)

I think there is a tool to hold the flywheel central when fitting but its not needed.
no problem ive just ordered clutch alignment tool and seals got to collect.
only reason i asked about special tools was euro car parts again said need a tool i guess they dont know much lol

1 - 20 of 78 Posts