Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

here's todays quandry:
so i was driving home from work and something hit the underneath of my car and then the turbo started getting noisy, my first thought was that something had hit the lower boost pipe and knocked it out of place?
the symptoms are,
not much boost
wind rushing sound (like driving through a tunnel quickly with the windows open)
a fair amount of smoke under heavy acceleration (which has never happened before)
now its clear the turbo is spooling as the wind rush sound changes with the revs, but it doesn't give anywhere near as much push as it did before

I got home and checked the VNT wasn't in limp and dumping all boost out the exhaust by closing the vanes and keeping the wastegate under vacuum while revving the engine in stationary.
This didn't help at all as the wind rushing noise had stopped completely doing this and there was no smoke but also still no boost.Almost as if the engine wasn't being fooled by my attempt.

Any ideas?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
6,079 Posts
Sounds like a damaged hose of similar, you should get boost even when stationary if someone holds revs around 2.5K.

Or you need to just inspect all hoses and pipes etc for splits/cracks may also be worth checking intercooler for damage

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I thought that it should still boost if revved when stationary but it doesn't, and I can't see why it wouldnt if the vanes are closed...

The intercooler does seem the most likely culprit due to stone chips etc, I've looked over everything else and it all appears ok

I've just had an epiphany, the gauge on the vacuum pump went right up when revving... I must have connected the pump to the wrong end of the solenoid!

I'm so sorry, it was a rushed attempt after 14 hours at work yesterday..this would explain why the vacuum went right up when i revved the engine...what a fool...I'll go try connecting the right hose this time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for replying!

I was at my wits end with this car and its seemingly endless problems.

I do have PP but i'm not really sure with the live readings side of it as it may well be my genuine fake ebay cable, but it just doesn't want to read some of the live data at all.

Normally i just go into the error codes and keep bumbling around until i've found the issue, though of course this site has an amazing wealth of collective knowledge on offer.

As it turns out, the boost pipe that sits under the main one going into the inlet had a split down it, so its now boosting again and replacement pipes are on order.

The smoke i assume was more the air/fuel ratio being out.

For my next installment of peugeot flavoured fun,i will be doing a parody of changing the wishbones and ball joints bright and early tomorrow!

Thanks for the help guys. i do appreciate it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know, i read up earlier that it is 41mm, sorry fella! i had a half assed attempt earlier and couldn't even seperate the ball joint from the wishbone, much less get the offside front bolt out without taking out the drive shaft right above it...

I'm hoping the inner rubbers on the wishbone have gone and not the ball joint as it appears to be a job for a hefty impact driver and deep impact socket (neither of which do i have or have access too).

·
Registered
58 Posts
To be honest you are better off removing the hub and putting it in a well secured vice using a breaker bar and if it is as stiff as mine were, you will need a scaffold bar as well it is a pig of a job without the tools.

·
Registered
441 Posts
you know, i read up earlier that it is 41mm, sorry fella! i had a half assed attempt earlier and couldn't even seperate the ball joint from the wishbone, much less get the offside front bolt out without taking out the drive shaft right above it...

I'm hoping the inner rubbers on the wishbone have gone and not the ball joint as it appears to be a job for a hefty impact driver and deep impact socket (neither of which do i have or have access too).

I use a pair of stillsons and a scaff bar and be prepared for some grunting. crack the lower nut first and break the wishbone free.

but to remove the wishbone arms you have to either remove the bolts holding hub to the strut and wiggle it away to allow access for the removal of bolt or remove driveshaft. such a simple job can be a shit to do! :mad:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm glad you said that as i do have a couple of pairs of 3 foot stilly's that should be up to the job with an axle stand to hold the jaws in place...

The bit where the ball joint is 41 mm looks pretty narrow though, it can only be a few mm's deep?

I still haven't found a way to separate the ball joint from the wishbone though, even with jacking up the hub and levering down the wishbone!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did try smashing it over and that didn't work, I tried playing seesaw with a long breaker bar using the lowest point of the wishbone as the fulcrum. I tried jacking up the spring.
I'm at least half sure i may have even asked it nicely if it would stop playing games with me...All it did was serve to wear me out and make me wish I'd stuck with 306s!

·
6,079 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts